OMG, I travel in 2 days and passport is expired

Fully aware that the OP has (hopefully) cruised by now.

I never understood why the passport has to be valid for a cruise. Just because it has expired doesn't mean you suddenly aren't a US citizen

Then why have exp dates at all?

They have them because they have them. Probably it's done so pictures are updated every so often.

Ive always wondered what happens in this case when the ship HAS to leave people that dont have a Passport.

The cruiseline gets the people to the cruise somehow and at some point.

What? They don't get stranded forever like many folks here imply? :rolleyes:

I have never seen a single post imply that idea.

I've seen many many posts like yours; they are the only ones with the thought that anyone is stranded forever.

You must have checked with one of the services that take all your paperwork over to the passport agency to have it processed then they go back and pick it up for you. If you go directly to the U.S. Passport agency and have it processed yourself and pick it up yourself it is $60 for the expedited passport.

Yep.

Linked to on the first page: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/houston.html

States that the expidite fee is $60 with the application fees.

But if you looked at a place like "samedaypassport" blah blah, then yep, it all adds up to $400ish.

I have cruised several times and only had my birth certificate and drivers license. No port that I have ever visited asked to see my passport or documents, so this comment simply doesn't hold truth.

Because Caribbean ports want to make it as easy as possible for cruise ships to visit. They need the tourist dollars!

I never understood why the passport has to be valid for a cruise. Just because it has expired doesn't mean you suddenly aren't a US citizen

Hypothetically, one could renounce their US citizenship and become a citizen of another country so technically an expired US passport doesn't prove you're a US citizen. :D

So I have a question regarding children on a cruise. We will be cruising Oasis next Aug with my Niece (9) and Nephew (8) as I read through here I see they don't need a passport but what do I need to legally take them out of the country

You'll need their certified birth certificates, and a notarized letter from their parents allowing you to take them. They don't need photo ID since they are younger than 16.

I have never seen a single post imply that idea.

I've seen many many posts like yours; they are the only ones with the thought that anyone is stranded forever.

Exactly. No one ever says or implies that if you miss the ship at a port of call and don't have a passport, you'll be stranded forever. What people DO say is that you can't just go the airport and hop on a plane to the next port or home. You have to go to the embassy or consulate to get a temporary passport, and that can take time and involve jumping through a few hoops. Embassies and consulates are not open 24/7, for starters.

You absolutely do NOT need a passport to travel! Several in our family do not have passports and they've never had an issue. A certified copy of your birth certificate and driver's license is fine. Even if you got stranded somewhere without a passport, you'll get home....it may be a hassle but you'll get home!

A slight correction...a passport is not needed (but always recommended) for a closed loop cruise. An open loop cruise or any international air travel requires a passport.

Glad you have the certificate and that you have it worked out!

Also, I know you are travelling yourself with your children based on your other thread. I have no idea what your situation is, but wanted to let you know that if there is a 2nd parent that a notarized approval from that person would be needed. Not trying to be nosey....but just want to make sure you have no surprises at check-in!

Where is the requirement of a note from the 2nd parent documented? My wife and I are taking a stepchild on a trip this October and in speaking with RC, this is not a requirement. I also searched their site and found no policy about this.

As another side note, some states no longer have the "raised seal" on official BC's so thats not necessarily a requirement. Georgia has went to a stamp and watermark. Basically put, as long as it comes directly from the state or vitalcheck, its considered certified and official and will work on a RC closed loop cruise.

Thank you. I've been wanting to say this since so many people keep saying raised seal. As a person born and raised until 21 in the state of Virginia- I can tell you for a fact that my official copy (as in obtained through the department of vital records) has NO seal on it whatsoever. It does however have a sort watermark in the background. This particular copy was obtained in 2005, so it may have changed a in the past 11 years; but not all states still issue official/certified copies of BC's with a raised seal.

Take a certified copy of your birth certificate and your driver's license.

Don't forget to take along your marriage certificate if your last name is different than what's on your birth certificate

Where is the requirement of a note from the 2nd parent documented? My wife and I are taking a stepchild on a trip this October and in speaking with RC, this is not a requirement. I also searched their site and found no policy about this.

When you print your Set sail pass, look on the back page, it is spelled out there! I just noticed it today as I finally decided to read it for the first time!

I don't THINK it is RCCL rule. It is a federal agency that requires it.

This is the RCI Board, and currently offical BC and DL suffice for all RCI Closed Loop cruises. BUT before anyone takes statements made in this thread as applying all the time, it should be noted that a few other lines require everyone to have passports for every cruise, including Closed Loop. ALSO other lines have a FEW long Closed Loop cruises that do require passports (eg HAL to the Amazon, Closed Loop out of Fort Lauderdale [also requires Visas]).

Thom

OP should be fine with official BC and DL.

...Hypothetically, one could renounce their US citizenship and become a citizen of another country so technically an expired US passport doesn't prove you're a US citizen. :D
Hypothetically you could renounce US citizenship and still have possession of your within date US passport:rolleyes:

The US passport Agency will accept a passport less than 5 years expired as proof of US citizenship (you can renew by mail with no additional documentation required). I know that at least a few years ago RCI would accept a US passport expired less than 5 years for Closed Loop travel (someone I traveled with did this) because CBP would accept it as proof. Note that a CANCELED Passport (eg what is returned to you after they issue a new renewal Passport) is not considered proof of citizenship.

I'm not an expert, but for my own piece of mind I would take the expired passport along with the BC and ID "just in case". That being said, just go and enjoy your vacation without further worries. It sounds like you will be fine!

Are you sure that isn't specific to a case where no legal guardian is present? My wife's name is obviously on his birth certificate. I read through the embarkation FAQ, and that is where the notarized letter is mentioned.

The logic behind this law is to prevent removal of children from the jurisdiction of American Courts. Before this was the law, it was very easy for non-US citizen parent to take their children to another country in order to avoid custody issues. In many countries these children would have dual citizenship or worse, if the foreign parent was the father, he would have absolute right to the children without input from the mother. Now if you show up for international travel with minor children and only one natural parent, you will need a notarized statement from the absent parent stating that they are aware the child is leaving the country and that they give permission for the children to leave the country...the letter should also grant the person traveling with a minor child permission to obtain medical care.

I just read the expiration date on my passport and it expired 6 months ago. What are my options? I leave in 2 days from Galveston for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica.

Same here. If you leave from a US port and come back to the US port you only need a birth certificate and license or another id. No worries.

TRUST ME, it is not THEIR rule.. But, KNOWING from experience, you will need something from second parent, giving you permission to take the child out of country, unless they have FULL, CUSTODY, and the rights of the second parent have been given up.. It is considered "custodial interference". I called it BS, my attorney called it a serious offense if brought before the judge..

TRUST ME, it is not THEIR rule.. But, KNOWING from experience, you will need something from second parent, giving you permission to take the child out of country, unless they have FULL, CUSTODY, and the rights of the second parent have been given up.. It is considered "custodial interference". I called it BS, my attorney called it a serious offense if brought before the judge..

TigerLady knows what she's talking about. It may not seem to be a big deal to the parent who's taking his/her child on vacation, but believe me, when dealing with custody issues: everything's a BIG deal!!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

We are however pursuing the notarized letter even though I can find nothing that requires it. ...just to be safe.

You should consult an attorney before doing anything....someone who can tell you exactly what you need based on what's in the divorce decree or judgment of divorce. I hope it all works out.....good luck.