Shadow bound 7/21/16

KaraokeQueen

One shore excursion we took two years ago in Juneau is worth noting. It's the "Deadliest Catch", a tour on board the Aleutian Ballad, which was one of the crab boats used in the television program "Deadliest Catch". It has been converted to teach people about the industry. You actually go out into the bay and pull a couple of traps that they place earlier. It's interesting and they told some harrowing stories about their own experiences in the Bering Strait.

Arrived in Sitka this morning. Once again, we were plagued with rainy weather. At least the wind had died down and the temps weren't unbearably cold. Took the tender in and were lucky to see a few Otters and Sea Lions. Those that took this particular shore excursion to view these creatures were blessed to come across a pod of sperm whales.

Once ashore, we walked Lincoln street all the way through town, passing the Orthodox church where a pair of bald eagles grace the spire. Got some great shots of them. Then it was off to the Sitka Science Center. In later August, they collect the dying salmon and remove their roe. We were fortunate to see this operation during another trip. It's pretty quiet here now but, the center itself is worthy of a visit to see the aquatic displays.

From here we continued our walk and entered the national park where huge hemlock and cypress trees form a natural rain forest. Inside the park are numerous totem poles that have been collected throughout southeast Alaska and prominently displayed among the trees.

We were the only ship here and the town was quite sleepy. Tomorrow we will be cruising the Hubbard Glacier, a real highlight of this voyage.

Hubbard Glacier did not disappoint. We picked up the ice pilot in a bay in route. Between he and the Captain, they navigated to 1/3 of a mile from the face. The glacier itself extends 75 miles in land Canada. The noise created from the calving is deafening. The weather again was quite rainy but, we got to see the crevices, and the blue contrasts of the ice. A number of large icebergs created a bit of a challenge when it came time to depart, creating a minor delay.

Today the English pub lunch with entertainment was served in the Bar. We opted for the dining room. It was the 3rd time we had dined there this voyage. The food has been exceptional everywhere on the ship. The fresh Alaskan seafood offering have been delicious and cooked superbly.

Karaoke was held last night. Although I chose not to attend, it was a packed house. Early to bed, allowed me to early rise and get to the gym at 6:00 a.m. for my last work out on board. It was important to get the last of the laundry out by 9:00 and be cleaned up to view the glacier.

The seas have significantly picked up for the first time. 9 foot seas. The ship handles it very well. Walking turns into a bit of the corridor bounce. Tomorrow will end this portion of my trip. While most people will be headed to the train to Anchorage, we will remain here in Seward for 8 days. From there we will go to Anchorage ourselves for a few days before joining the SS land excursion to Denali. We are each able to leave a suitcase on board and will return to Shadow on August 11th for the south bound return to Vancouver.

For anyone who can, I HIGHLY recommend spending time in Seward. Today was our first full day post cruise and we opted to do a 8 1/2 hour tour of the Alaskan Fjords.

Having been to Norway, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, I have to say that the Alaskan Fjords topped them all. It was simply amazing. We saw so many glaciers and they were massive. On our small vessel, we got up close and personal, experienced serious calving and watched huge sea lions floating on the ice floes. Other coves had phenomenal waterfalls.

Along with the numerous sea birds, including eagles and falcons, we got to see otters, Steller Sea Lions, Humpback Whales and Mountain Goats.

Every day around 5:00-6:00 p.m., the fishing vessels return and display their catch. It's been an amazing array of yellow eye, rock fish, salmon, ling cod and halibut. Can't wait for our upcoming charter.

Accommodations are pricey for lodging and not exactly 5 star. Ok, 3 and under but, it is what it is. I was quite in shock after leaving my Silver Suite!

Food is quite pricey here and we were told by the locals, all prices go up during season. Sounds like Florida!

We will definitely come back again and do a pre-cruise trip. You don't need a vehicle if you come by the train as there is a free shuttle that loops through the entire town, stopping at multiple stops. There is about a 30 minute lapse between transportation. Taxi's are almost non-existent. We did get one from the ship but, have yet to see one in town in two days.

My husbands reluctance is because he has been to Alaska many times. His father was president of one of the pipeline companies that build many miles of the Alaska pipeline, so we are exploring things that neither of us has seen until we run out of ideas.
Thx for the context. Changes my previous response completely.

• 6 months later...

we are doing this cruise this summer-family of 12 -- some are first time cruisers-I am trying to plan each day .

so far- Sitka- fishing for boys and ocean raft for others

Juneau- Whale watching and hel-dog sled tour of mendenhall glacier

Skagway- boys-fishing, 4 train, 4-sea kayaking in haines

Ketchikan- no plans yet

any suggestions??

we are doing this cruise this summer-family of 12 -- some are first time cruisers-I am trying to plan each day .

so far- Sitka- fishing for boys and ocean raft for others

Juneau- Whale watching and hel-dog sled tour of mendenhall glacier

Skagway- boys-fishing, 4 train, 4-sea kayaking in haines

Ketchikan- no plans yet

any suggestions??

Go to Trip Advisor and put in "top 10 things to do in Ketchikan" . It will give you a variety of activites and for 12 people you'll need that! Enjoy your planning.

• 2 months later...

we are booked in each port- is Sitka the only tender port? just reread all these posts sounds like the food is exceptional on this ship... do men have to wear jackets after dinner to go to bars/shows? someone posted from the ship -

Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required

where are breakfasts held?

is wifi decent?

we are booked in each port- is Sitka the only tender port? just reread all these posts sounds like the food is exceptional on this ship... do men have to wear jackets after dinner to go to bars/shows? someone posted from the ship -

Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required

where are breakfasts held?

is wifi decent?

Breakfast can be in your room, a buffet in La Terrezza, or in the MDR.

Jackets are required for the men on formal nights. Go to my.silversea.com and you can see which night(s) are formal nights on your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Christie - Thanks so much for your wonderful report. We have been thinking about doing a second Alaska cruise, and your write up makes it very tempting.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Seems like ages ago! I HIGHLY recommend spending a couple of days in Seward. The Marine tours from there are spectacular