Mexican Riviera - worth it?

gkrnjlr

My sister and I got notification today that our Europe cruise was canceled next year. We're now going back to the drawing board to figure out what cruise we want to take.

We're leaning towards the Mexican Riviera itinerary on the Jewel. We've not been on that ship or that itinerary so it'd be new for both of us.

We're not fans of the Bahamas, I loved the Pearl (she's not been on it) and we were on the Escape this past January and loved it. We're torn for what cruise to take next year for our annual cruise together.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

We are doing Mexican Riviera next year, either Princess or NCL. I'd like to compare the deal I can get on either one before deciding but it appears NCL is never going to release their West coast schedule for October 2017.

I did a Mexican Riviera cruise in March on the Jewel (see review link in my sig) and really enjoyed it. Puerto Vallarta was my favorite port on the trip and I would take the cruise again for it. There was not much traffic on the Roll Call for the cruise but that seems to be the case for most of the west coast ones except Alaska.

We have done the Mexican Riviera three times. Twice on the Star and once on the Jewel and loved all three cruises. We take ship tours and they have some very good tours to choose from. We always book ship tours because we know the ship will wait for you if you are running late and they do not wait if you are on an independent tour.

Have been on the Star for this cruise. Loved it... Puerto Vallarta was my favorite port also, just seems a bit weird that when you dock there is a Wal Mart in view of the ship. LOL

Only negative to the cruise, it was the first one of the season and the Star came from Alaska so all the sea creatures on the ship hull found there way into the air conditioning system and shut it down for about 8 hours while we were heading to Mazatlan and in the port. Not Fun !!! Especially when it was about 102 outside.

Not sure if the itineraries are the same but if so take the second cruise of the season.

My sister and I got notification today that our Europe cruise was canceled next year. We're now going back to the drawing board to figure out what cruise we want to take.

We're leaning towards the Mexican Riviera itinerary on the Jewel. We've not been on that ship or that itinerary so it'd be new for both of us.

We're not fans of the Bahamas, I loved the Pearl (she's not been on it) and we were on the Escape this past January and loved it. We're torn for what cruise to take next year for our annual cruise together.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

We have taken 2 Mexican Riviera cruises & thoroughly loved them ! I don't know what ports you're visiting . We loved Mazatalan & Ixtapa/Ziuatanao !

The MEX Riviera - 2 days at Sea and then 3 ports of call - not in any given order:

Puerto Vallarta *

Mazatlan

Cabo San Lucas *

Ixtapa/Ziuatanao

* usual ports of call others either one or the other

then 2 days at Sea returning to Long Beach (San Pedro) makes a 7 days sailing.

A lot of cruising and only three ports - value questionable ?

Consider a ship positioning cruise late spring and early fall (Alaska or Coastal California) ?

Consider Alaska cruise Mid May to Mid September ?

Also Eastern-Western-Southern Caribbean almost any time ?

Panama Canal Spring or Fall ?

A lot of options !!!

The MEX Riviera - 2 days at Sea and then 3 ports of call - not in any given order:

Puerto Vallarta *

Mazatlan

Cabo San Lucas *

Ixtapa/Ziuatanao

Consider a ship positioning cruise late spring and early fall (Alaska or Coastal California) ?

A lot of options !!!

Ive done it twice mainly for Cabo-Loved it.

Puerto Vallarta *

Mazatlan

Cabo San Lucas *

Ixtapa/Ziuatanao

A lot of options !!!

The seven day itineraries do not include Ziwa/Ixtapa.

• 3 weeks later...

We did this cruise on the Jewel last December. I didn't know if we were going to like it at all because all the Mexican Riviera cruises were priced so cheap. We figured they were not selling for a reason....

To our surprise it was an amazing cruise. We thought Cabo would be our favorite but ended up just falling in love with Mazatlan. Cabo was too touristy for us. Puerto Vallarta was excellent as well.

We would go back on a Mexican Riviera cruise in a heartbeat. Its not Europe but you'll have a great time. We liked it much better than St Martin/St Thomas.

-Sean

We did this itinerary in late March/early April on the Jewel. I loved the ship, and for us, the ports were just okay. Would I do it again? Nope! Why? We've always cruised the Caribbean, and I love the "tropicalness" of it. I expected sunny, warm weather in Mexico, similar to the Caribbean. It was not like that at all! We got sun, but it was very windy and even chilly. It didn't help that I didn't pack long pants or sweaters and sweatshirts! I don't know if it was the time of the year, or if that's typical, but after waiting for my vacation all year I was disappointed in the weather. The beaches were not tropical...it just wasn't what I expected...

~Joanne

We did this itinerary in late March/early April on the Jewel. I loved the ship, and for us, the ports were just okay. Would I do it again? Nope! Why? We've always cruised the Caribbean, and I love the "tropicalness" of it. I expected sunny, warm weather in Mexico, similar to the Caribbean. It was not like that at all! We got sun, but it was very windy and even chilly. It didn't help that I didn't pack long pants or sweaters and sweatshirts! I don't know if it was the time of the year, or if that's typical, but after waiting for my vacation all year I was disappointed in the weather. The beaches were not tropical...it just wasn't what I expected...

~Joanne

Joanne,

You make a great point. Mexican Riviera is not a tropical cruise. I know for many people a cruise equals sitting in the hot sun with your toes in the sand and a margarita or labadoozie in one hand.

Puerto Vallarta was probably the closest to that but its in the Pacific so the weather is a bit cooler than in the Caribbean. Especially when at sea. And the water is chilly as well.

We went in Feb this past year and it was dry and highs were in the 80/90s but it was very cool in the shade and humidity was much lower than in the Caribbean.

We enjoy cruising because we like the opportunity that it gives us to visit alot of new places and explore many things in a short amount of time. My wifes skin is on the pale side and she doesn't take to the sun so well and both of us are not into "the touristy" thing. The last place you would find us is sitting on a beach sipping a drink. We would rather go hiking through a city and meet local people and hike up a mountain.

With that background it makes a little more sense why would enjoy the Mexican Riviera over the Caribbean.

I hope that helps the OP in making a decision.

-Sean