Non surge protector model?

RCmommy

This original post made me look for other options as I too have that same Belkin plug in. Most have surge protectors, but I did find this one on Amazon that didn't.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-6-Outlet-5-Foot-Right-Angled-F9P609-05R-DP/dp/B0002AG0IO/ref=sr_1_32?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1469645482&sr=1-32&keywords=power+strip#Ask

I will be getting one of these for our next cruise.

I did a Google search for the above Monster plug and came across this article

http://lifehacker.com/monster-outlets-to-go-is-a-tiny-travel-surge-protector-1481401360

Unless I am reading wrong this means that Monster plug has surge protection, right?

This was part of my difficulty. Many Amazon descriptions don't list surge protection in the description but if you go to the company website it does. Gah!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by RCmommy

http://lifehacker.com/monster-outlets-to-go-is-a-tiny-travel-surge-protector-1481401360

Unless I am reading wrong this means that Monster plug has surge protection, right?

This was part of my difficulty. Many Amazon descriptions don't list surge protection in the description but if you go to the company website it does. Gah!

Often on Amazon, if you look through the questions and answers for a particular product you will find additional info. On this particular item however, Amazon's Q&A isn't much help WRT surge protection.

Edited by joepeka

Often on Amazon, if you look through the questions and answers for a particular product you will find additional info. On this particular item however, Amazon's Q&A isn't much help WRT surge protection.

Yes, it is surge protected, and I've found that most consumer buying sites don't provide much information or accurate information. There are very few Monster products that are not surge protected. I think one of their plain power strips, and the multi-cord octupus cords are the only ones. As I've said before, a power strip in the $2-6 range will not be surge protected, and a multi-USB port that only has a two prong plug will meet most folks' needs.

I am currently sizing up this plug. It is four usb ports but it uses a regular plug. So I am thinking that would leave one extra space in the socket for something that does not use USB to charge.

https://www.amazon.ca/RAVPower-Charger-Charging-Station-Technology/dp/B00GSNNWDA/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469723004&sr=1-13&keywords=usb+charger

I don't think it has surge protection....but...????

I am currently sizing up this plug. It is four usb ports but it uses a regular plug. So I am thinking that would leave one extra space in the socket for something that does not use USB to charge.

https://www.amazon.ca/RAVPower-Charger-Charging-Station-Technology/dp/B00GSNNWDA/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469723004&sr=1-13&keywords=usb+charger

I think you are correct about the surge protection - if you look at the one image of the product (the one that shows the internals), it states "Voltage Stabilizer" and mentions surge protection. So unless I'm not understanding that description (entirely possible) you may be correct. Unless most (all?) USB chargers have that same type of circuitry?

Edited by joepeka

I think you are correct about the surge protection - if you look at the one image of the product (the one that shows the internals), it states "Voltage Stabilizer" and mentions surge protection. So unless I'm not understanding that description (entirely possible) you may be correct. Unless most (all?) USB chargers have that same type of circuitry?

I've been trying to research this for the CC membership, but unfortunately many of the mfg. are not being forthcoming with answers to my questions. My internet is poor out here, so I couldn't see all the images for this unit on the link provided, but the key is whether or not it has a two prong or three prong plug. If it is a two prong plug, it does not have surge protection, regardless of what the mfg. says. They throw out phrases like this because it makes good advertising, but without a ground pin, it can't dump high voltages as a surge protector does. What these USB chargers do is to have circuitry that shuts off the power output from the charger when the input voltage is too high (voltage stabilizing), but it only stops the power, it doesn't drop it to ground, so it really isn't as safe in extremely high voltage situations like lightning strikes as a surge protector, since really, really high voltages can break down the barrier between input and output and fry the equipment. However, those high voltages, like lightning, do not pose the same threat onboard ship, given the floating ground used on ships.

I've been trying to research this for the CC membership, but unfortunately many of the mfg. are not being forthcoming with answers to my questions. My internet is poor out here, so I couldn't see all the images for this unit on the link provided, but the key is whether or not it has a two prong or three prong plug. If it is a two prong plug, it does not have surge protection, regardless of what the mfg. says. They throw out phrases like this because it makes good advertising, but without a ground pin, it can't dump high voltages as a surge protector does. What these USB chargers do is to have circuitry that shuts off the power output from the charger when the input voltage is too high (voltage stabilizing), but it only stops the power, it doesn't drop it to ground, so it really isn't as safe in extremely high voltage situations like lightning strikes as a surge protector, since really, really high voltages can break down the barrier between input and output and fry the equipment. However, those high voltages, like lightning, do not pose the same threat onboard ship, given the floating ground used on ships.

Thanks much Chief. In looking at a zoomed photo of the plug, it's only two pronged so then regardless of what the verbiage in that other photo may indicate, this particular USB charger that RCMommy found is not surge protected.

Edited by joepeka

I did post the question in Amazon and several responses have said that no, it does not have surge protection.

I did post the question in Amazon and several responses have said that no, it does not have surge protection.

the 4th picture shows it has surge protection

'Voltage Stabilizer'

Stabilize charging current and provide current surge protection

how can it claim it has surge protection when it doesnt?

Edited by hftmrock

'Voltage Stabilizer'

I'm kind of reluctant to call it semantics on the part of the manufacturer, but if you red Chief's post #32 above, he gives a good description of the difference between this device's advertised performance and true surge suppression.

'Voltage Stabilizer'

The same way vitamin supplements make claims to better health, and then in the fine print state that this claim has not been proven by the FDA. Manufacturers can claim anything they want, but until someone brings a complaint to the appropriate government agency, an unsubstantiated claim will remain.

very good points but I think if its confusing enough for us, then Carnival might still take it away out of precaution.

I would steer clear of this model just because carnival could think its a surge protection and take it away.

its unlikely but possible and it would be hard to explain that the manufacturer says its a surge protection but they are really wrong.

just my 2 cents