My upsell experience

Mrbluray

So my wife and I are booked on the NCL Escape 8 day sailing on Aug 20-28. We initially paid $1033 CDN for a Balcony cabin each. We had two Cruisenext certificates vaued at 305 dollars each and were able to apply both of them to our cruise... (so minus $610)

We called the upsell department today and they offered us a Haven spa suite for an additional $1500 CDN ($750 each)

Considering that buying the Spa pass would cost us $292 CDN each anyway, we decided to take the deal.

So we ended up paying $1783 CDN each for a Haven Spa Suite. Regular price right now according to Vacations Air Canada and expedia for a Haven Spa Balcony is $3799 CDN each.

Edited by Mrbluray

So my wife and I are booked on the NCL Escape 8 day sailing on Aug 20-28. We initially paid $1033 CDN for a Balcony cabin each. We had two Cruisenext certificates vaued at 305 dollars each and were able to apply both of them to our cruise... (so minus $610)

We called the upsell department today and they offered us a Haven spa suite for an additional $1500 CDN ($750 each)

Considering that buying the Spa pass would cost us $292 CDN each anyway, we decided to take the deal.

So we ended up paying $1783 CDN each for a Haven Spa Suite. Regular price right now according to Vacations Air Canada and expedia for a Haven Spa Balcony is $3799 CDN each.

Congratulations, but I'm confused by one thing. How were you able to use two CruiseNext certificates for one cabin? I thought they were one per cabin, not one per person. Am I wrong?

--Michael

Congratulations, but I'm confused by one thing. How were you able to use two CruiseNext certificates for one cabin? I thought they were one per cabin, not one per person. Am I wrong?

--Michael

Every once in a while NCL has a promotion where they allow 2 certificates.

--Michael

There's a promo right now where you can use 2 certificates for a single booking if you book by July 31, 2016 and sail by August 31 2016

I will be going on my first NCL cruise next year. What are Cruisenext Certificates that you mentioned? How did you get them? It seems like a odd amount $305? If you're from Canada, does it get issued in Canadian funds? Thanks for any help.

I will be going on my first NCL cruise next year. What are Cruisenext Certificates that you mentioned? How did you get them? It seems like a odd amount $305? If you're from Canada, does it get issued in Canadian funds? Thanks for any help.

If you book in cdn, you can purchase the cruise rewards in cdn on the ship... Te cdn dollar sucks right now so they gave 305 credit for it

Cruisenext Certificates are certificates you can buy on the ship (up to four, I believe) for $250 and you get $100 OBC on the cruise you're on. The $250 certificate can then be used as a deposit for most room types up to balcony, I believe, without having to pay the full $500 deposit (rules are different for higher category rooms, but I haven't cruised in those, so I don't know what they are.

They also changed it recently where you get more OBC on your current cruise for the more certificates you buy. I've only bought one at a time, so I don't know those amounts, either. Sorry I can only give you some info.

So, basically, you're buying the option to put down a deposit of $250 on a future cruise when normally $500 would be required and you get back $100 (or more) on your current cruise. Except when there's a promotion running like there appears to be now, you can only use one certificate per stateroom, and you have to book and use it within four years of purchase (again, I might be off on these timeframes). I'm sure someone can correct any mistakes I've made. Just do it nicely, please.

NOTE: All these amounts are in USD. It sounds like CAD amounts are different, but commensurate.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy

Cruisenext Certificates are certificates you can buy on the ship (up to four, I believe) for $250 and you get $100 OBC on the cruise you're on. The $250 certificate can then be used as a deposit for most room types up to balcony, I believe, without having to pay the full $500 deposit (rules are different for higher category rooms, but I haven't cruised in those, so I don't know what they are.

They also changed it recently where you get more OBC on your current cruise for the more certificates you buy. I've only bought one at a time, so I don't know those amounts, either. Sorry I can only give you some info.

So, basically, you're buying the option to put down a deposit of $250 on a future cruise when normally $500 would be required and you get back $100 (or more) on your current cruise. Except when there's a promotion running like there appears to be now, you can only use one certificate per stateroom, and you have to book and use it within four years of purchase (again, I might be off on these timeframes). I'm sure someone can correct any mistakes I've made. Just do it nicely, please.

NOTE: All these amounts are in USD. It sounds like CAD amounts are different, but commensurate.

--Michael

The CDN rules are a bit complicated..

If you buy the cruise certificate in USD, you have the option of applying your cruise certificate when you book your next cruise in USD ($250), or if you book your cruise in CDN dollars, you can apply your cruise certificate in CDN dollars at whatever the exchange rate is at the time.

If you buy the cruise certificate in CDN, (I believe last I checked, they charged $275 CDN), your cruise certificate will be worth $275 CDN if you apply it in CDN dollars on your next cruise.