Strange up and downgrade.

jakkojakko

I agree. I have heard of people being talked into accepting a downgrade (with substantial compensation) in an over-booked situation, but never a forced one.[/size][/font][/color]

I think when HAL overbooks or whatever, they ask one of the targeted cabins they need to downsell. If those do not want to, they go onto the next until they find someone who is willing to move down for compensation.

HAL has been known to oversell a ship so much that they had to buy people off a cruise and book them onto something else.

Weird things can and do happen. Once, many years ago, my mother and I (both single at the time) decided to take a cruise together on HAL. We booked adjoining insides (with connecting door) on one of the S-class ships through my TA, and each of us paid a single supplement to do so. We both keep very different hours, so sharing a cabin would not work well for us.

The next time I spoke with my TA, she said "you'll never believe what HAL did". She went on to say that apparently that cruise was overbooked, so they combined my mother's and my reservations into one of the cabins, without contacting any of us, and put someone else in the other cabin they "freed" up.

My TA fortunately caught this while there was still time, managed to get HAL to "undo" the change, and the cruise went as originally planned :).

I spoke to a couple who were downgraded because the line wanted to put more people in a larger cabin - namely theirs. They were offered OBC in exchange. The couple refused saying they wanted a full refund and would cancel their cruise if forced to downgrade. Because they really wanted to do the particular cruise they settled for the downgrade with OBC, the price difference between levels and a drink package each - not sure which one. In this case it was a matter of extra $ that motivated the line.

I can't imagine they downgraded the people without their consent. I'm sure they enticed them with incentives to accept the downgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As stated they originally offered them OBC. Apparently somewhere in the T&Cs, which I haven't read but was told about, there's no guarantee that you'll get the cabin you book and that from time to time you might be required to take a downgrade.