Which side of the ship?

judyzoo

We will be cruising on the Danube from Passau to Constanta. I understand that we won't be doing a lot of sailing during the daytime, but would still like to know which side of the ship will have better views, particularly going through Romania.

Edited by judyzoo

We will be cruising on the Danube from Passau to Constanta. I understand that we won't be doing a lot of sailing during the daytime, but would still like to know which side of the ship will have better views, particularly going through Romania.

The outside. But, seriously, you'll find the views are fairly equal one side to the other. The daytime cruising we pretty much stayed out on the sun deck, or in the lounge (front of the ship) most of the day.

I see that you have taken many ocean cruises and I am guessing this will be your first river cruise. First of all, you will really enjoy yourself. I know that there is often a preferred side for an ocean cruise but not so much for a river cruise. While you didn't mention the cruise line, they all use small ships so it is easy to go to the lounge or sun deck to view the sights. We spent very little time in our cabin preferring to socialize in the lounge. It had floor to ceiling windows and lots of comfortable seating. We sailed in Nov. so the sun deck was not as well used as during warmer months. As Shmoo here said, there are sights to view on both sides since the Danube isn't that wide.

I see that you have taken many ocean cruises and I am guessing this will be your first river cruise. First of all, you will really enjoy yourself. I know that there is often a preferred side for an ocean cruise but not so much for a river cruise. While you didn't mention the cruise line, they all use small ships so it is easy to go to the lounge or sun deck to view the sights. We spent very little time in our cabin preferring to socialize in the lounge. It had floor to ceiling windows and lots of comfortable seating. We sailed in Nov. so the sun deck was not as well used as during warmer months. As Shmoo here said, there are sights to view on both sides since the Danube isn't that wide.

You're right -- this will be my first river cruise, after many ocean cruises. I'd like to be able to see some sights from our cabin when we don't opt for the sun deck, but perhaps it won't matter which side we're on.

You can see both sides of the river at all times (it's that narrow) and interesting things pop up on both sides. When you are docked, there's no telling which side of the ship will be near the land or facing the water -- and if there is rafting the "water" side may actually be another boat lashed onto yours. Long way of saying "it doesn't matter."

When you sail through the Iron Gates make sure you're outside, preferably on the top deck....you'll want a picture of the monastery followed by the face of a King who's name escapes me, carved into the rock. They will be on your port side but there's plenty of room for everyone. If you're docking in Constanta, don't expect a whole lot....When we did this cruise on Vantage it ended in Constanta and when we docked it was in an industrial shipyard!! After a tour of the city we bused to Bucharest. Now Vantage has eliminated Constanta entirely and ends in Ruse.

Hydrokitty,

Did the river boat go to Constanta on a canal from the Danube to the Black Sea?

Yes and no....we went through the Danube Canal but not to the Black Sea. We docked at a shipyard and bused into Constanta. It was kind of disappointing really because the shipyard was huge and you couldn't see anything but tankers and work boats and the only water you could see was if you looked down from your room! We over-nighted and the next morning were bused to Bucharest, about a 3 hour ride. I think it was the following year that Vantage decided to drop Constanta because of the complaints now ends in Ruse, which is lovely.

It always amazes me when people ask which side. On an ocean cruise, you are usually at sea and cannot see much. On a riverboat, for best view, you must see both sides. Go outside or in a lounge with big windows. On a riverboat I only use my cabin to sleep and shower. I am up on deck if available or in a viewing areas. I do pay attention to where my cabin is located. I try to avoid cabins close to the lounges or gangway.

Yes and no....we went through the Danube Canal but not to the Black Sea. We docked at a shipyard and bused into Constanta. It was kind of disappointing really because the shipyard was huge and you couldn't see anything but tankers and work boats and the only water you could see was if you looked down from your room! We over-nighted and the next morning were bused to Bucharest, about a 3 hour ride. I think it was the following year that Vantage decided to drop Constanta because of the complaints now ends in Ruse, which is lovely.

We started our "cruise" in Bucharest. We were there overnight. Next day had a city tour and a lunch stop just outside the city. Then the 3 hour trip to Constanta. Our bus brought us directly to the ship in port. Yes, it was an industrial port, but most are. We stayed overnight on the ship in port, and had a day trip the next day into Constanta and to a Black Sea resort area.

That evening we departed, traveled out of the port into the sea to the Black Sea/Danube canal. I love that we actually could put our feet in the Black Sea. I'm a little disappointed that they cut that part of the trip now.

I'll be the literalist, and say that your best views of Romania will definitely be on the port side. From the Iron Gates to Ruse the Danube forms the border between Romania on the North (Port side) and Bulgaria on the South ( starboard). If you ignore which country I'll agree that it doesn't matter as sometimes the best views are port and sometimes starboard.

Thom

I'll be the literalist, and say that your best views of Romania will definitely be on the port side. From the Iron Gates to Ruse the Danube forms the border between Romania on the North (Port side) and Bulgaria on the South ( starboard). If you ignore which country I'll agree that it doesn't matter as sometimes the best views are port and sometimes starboard.

Thom

Great minds think alike!! :D direction you're going port side will be best for Romania, which is where the prettiest views are, but don't stay on your balcony...go up top and see both sides. The Iron Gates are a highlight of the cruise....and you should hit them late morning/early afternoon. Edited by Hydrokitty

It always amazes me when people ask which side. On an ocean cruise, you are usually at sea and cannot see much. On a riverboat, for best view, you must see both sides. Go outside or in a lounge with big windows. On a riverboat I only use my cabin to sleep and shower. I am up on deck if available or in a viewing areas. I do pay attention to where my cabin is located. I try to avoid cabins close to the lounges or gangway.

I understand that both sides will be visible from the sun deck or some similar location. I was just trying to find out which side would provide better views from our balcony, while we're sailing, when we're not in a location from which both sides can be seen.

Thanks for all your opinions. Looking forward to the different experience of river cruising.