Hotels on Doubtful Sound in New Zealand

Disco Duck

Which ever hotel is chosen, your visit to Queenstown is likely to be the highlight of the cruise - the gem of NZ. The other places visited on your cruise will not be a patch on what would be in store when you enter Fiordland. When we visited NZ we began the cruise with a week pre-cruise in Queenstown and when later aboard Solstice the cruise into Milford Sound was cancelled due to wind. Many cruise ships fail to enter as the navigation path is so small for the large cruise ship if the weather is not perfect.

I feel I need to clarify one thing here - as far as I am aware there are no excursions that actually go to Doubtful Sound.

The only multi-day excursion is between Dunedin and Milford Sound via Queenstown. Although I haven't done the Celebrity excursion I have travelled in that region a number of times. The scenery is stunning.

Unfortunately you do miss out on the scenic cruising though Dusky and Doubtful Sounds by doing this excursion, however Milford Sound is the most spectacular of the three sounds so you won't miss out completely.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We did 1 week of the south island on our own before boarding the cruise in Auckland. Started with 3 day stay in Queenstown and ended up in Christchurch where we flew back to Auckland. We didn't go to the sounds as we cruised them on the ship. The west coast of the south island and Queenstown in particular is probably the most beautiful area I have traveled to date.