Zika Virus - NCL Gem October

rye_guy81

I was just wondering I am hearing some advisories with certain islands and San Juan recently been a major one, not sure if NCL has posted anything, we are going on our honeymoon cruise on the Gem in October and spending one night prior to the cruise in San Juan. Just wondering if we should be concerned or any precautions we can take for the cruise? I would hate to cancel the cruise so just wondering what others have heard. Thanks so much!!

The Center for Disease Control (U.S. Federal Agency) has a great web page with links for everything you need to know:

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/prevention/plan-for-travel.html

Be cautious especially if you are thinking of trying to get pregnant. The mosquito carrier bites during the day -- always use deet to protect yourself.

The Center for Disease Control (U.S. Federal Agency) has a great web page with links for everything you need to know:

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/prevention/plan-for-travel.html

Be cautious especially if you are thinking of trying to get pregnant. The mosquito carrier bites during the day -- always use deet to protect yourself.

Being on honeymoon, take all necessary precautions if cancellation not an option.

I would ask a health professional, or rely on official statements from your government rather than people in a forum.

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/diseases-conditions-maladies-affections/disease-maladie/zika-virus/risks-risques-eng.php?id=risks

Personally, I would delay the trip if I was in the family planning years. While the risk may be low, I can't imagine taking any knowable risk when the effects are not just on myself, but on a future child.

Everyone on here, and most others, tend to only think about mosquito transmission. You as a woman, could take every precaution and bathe in mosquito repellent, and you could still get infected by having non protected sex with your partner. According to reports a male partner can keep the zika virus for up to about 6 months.....so recommendations are to only have protected sex with a partner who has been symptomatic. However, most people never display symptoms and do not even know they have had the virus.

These mosquitos are not born with the virus. They contact it from biting an infected person. Then both they and the person can pass it along.

So you must protect from getting bit and protect from an unsuspecting or even a suspecting partner. It is a big risk. Experts on here say there are no mosquitos on the ship, and that they do not fly or travel far. The last one is true, they seldom fly over 500 Yards....but they have infected most of south America and the Caribbean basin 500 yards at a time. There are people who have had zika in 46 of the 50 states. all but a handful are travel related, meaning they got it somewhere else. But any of them could have infected other people while they were infected, and they could have infected mosquitos, too. People tend to think it is going to transition across the geography, but an outbreak could happen in any of those states.

Bottom line is if you are in early pregnancy, or looking to get pregnant in the near future, within 6 months, take all precautions, up to and including not traveling to infected locations, and not having unprotected sex.

If you are not a woman that is pregnant or looking to get pregnant, you have little risk in getting infected, except for being a carrier and infecting others. And once you get infected and it runs it's course through your system, you can safely get pregnant, as you supposedly have immunities.

People say it is not serious, and they never see mosquitos...but use your own judgement, and take every precaution. Do not believe4 this is an island thing or can't happen in Idaho or Ohio. Think beyond the mosquito angle.

People on here are more concerned about mosquitoes because Zika in the Caribbean affects their cruise vacations. That is what is relevant to Cruisecritic. No one is going to come on here and talk about their sexcapades. Unprotected sex can happen anywhere, not just in the Caribbean and Central and South Americas.

You're right the virus can be spread both ways. But going on a Norwegian cruise, it makes sense that people are primarily talking about mosquitoes. Additionally, sexual transmission can easily be prevented by using condoms. Condoms are over 98% effective when used properly. With mosquitoes, there is no way to be 98% protected all the time when you're constantly exposed to the outside

Everyone on here, and most others, tend to only think about mosquito transmission. You as a woman, could take every precaution and bathe in mosquito repellent, and you could still get infected by having non protected sex with your partner. According to reports a male partner can keep the zika virus for up to about 6 months.....so recommendations are to only have protected sex with a partner who has been symptomatic. However, most people never display symptoms and do not even know they have had the virus.

These mosquitos are not born with the virus. They contact it from biting an infected person. Then both they and the person can pass it along.

So you must protect from getting bit and protect from an unsuspecting or even a suspecting partner. It is a big risk. Experts on here say there are no mosquitos on the ship, and that they do not fly or travel far. The last one is true, they seldom fly over 500 Yards....but they have infected most of south America and the Caribbean basin 500 yards at a time. There are people who have had zika in 46 of the 50 states. all but a handful are travel related, meaning they got it somewhere else. But any of them could have infected other people while they were infected, and they could have infected mosquitos, too. People tend to think it is going to transition across the geography, but an outbreak could happen in any of those states.

Bottom line is if you are in early pregnancy, or looking to get pregnant in the near future, within 6 months, take all precautions, up to and including not traveling to infected locations, and not having unprotected sex.

If you are not a woman that is pregnant or looking to get pregnant, you have little risk in getting infected, except for being a carrier and infecting others. And once you get infected and it runs it's course through your system, you can safely get pregnant, as you supposedly have immunities.

People say it is not serious, and they never see mosquitos...but use your own judgement, and take every precaution. Do not believe4 this is an island thing or can't happen in Idaho or Ohio. Think beyond the mosquito angle.

Thanks for that information. Many do not understand it's more than the mosquito or where the mosquitos got it. I never thought about that. There's a lot to learn and be aware of.

While this was geared to Australian readers it was a very interesting read, and covered a lot of information, most notably that Zika has been around for years, but overshadowed by other diseases that can also cause problems in pregnancy...

It had all the information in an easy to understand article

https://cameronwebb.wordpress.com/tag/what-is-the-best-mosquito-repellent-for-pregnant-women/

Do you actually understand the seriousness of this virus to a pregnant woman or one who wishes to get pregnant?

It far exceeds the concern of enjoying or not enjoying a cruise. When people come on here to ask about zika, they need the full story.

As you say you can not be q100 percent certain that you will not be bitten, but you can make sure you do not have unprotected sex, but if that part was not discussed on here, would they even know to take that precaution?

You gave the percentage as 98% .... just from the mosquitos, So would you take that chance if you were pregnant or were expecting to get pregnant in the near future? 2% chance that you will get infected, by your own numbers. Little risk, just 2%........ Would you take it, or would you let your wife or daughter take it, if they were in the child bearing scenario? Rhetorical question.

My take is the risk is probably only to 2% of the population.....so it is not a big deal to the other 98%. But to those 2 % it is actually a matter of life or death, or at least of quality of life.

Bottom line is I do not apologize for bring up all aspects of the zika transmission. If it saves anyone, it is worth it. No where do I say, don't go on vacation, I just say understand and take ALL precautions.

And by way of information, a second distinct neighborhood outside of the square mile wynnwood area has been found to have the infected mosquitos in Miami. Near South Beach, I think they said.

There is still much that is not known about the Zika virus. As being discussed on National news this am, new research suggests that the virus may also target the neural stem cells of adults and children as well with unknown results. The stem cells of developing fetuses are just more vulnerable.

They are saying to avoid pregnancy for 6 months, but do they really know at this point how long that virus stays in the body/brain?

Do you actually understand the seriousness of this virus to a pregnant woman or one who wishes to get pregnant?

It far exceeds the concern of enjoying or not enjoying a cruise. When people come on here to ask about zika, they need the full story.

As you say you can not be q100 percent certain that you will not be bitten, but you can make sure you do not have unprotected sex, but if that part was not discussed on here, would they even know to take that precaution?

You gave the percentage as 98% .... just from the mosquitoes, So would you take that chance if you were pregnant or were expecting to get pregnant in the near future? 2% chance that you will get infected, by your own numbers. Little risk, just 2%........ Would you take it, or would you let your wife or daughter take it, if they were in the child bearing scenario? Rhetorical question.

My take is the risk is probably only to 2% of the population.....so it is not a big deal to the other 98%. But to those 2 % it is actually a matter of life or death, or at least of quality of life.

Bottom line is I do not apologize for bring up all aspects of the zika transmission. If it saves anyone, it is worth it. No where do I say, don't go on vacation, I just say understand and take ALL precautions.

And by way of information, a second distinct neighborhood outside of the square mile wynnwood area has been found to have the infected mosquitos in Miami. Near South Beach, I think they said.

I very much understand the risk to pregnant women, trust me. After all, it is my job and I am dealing with it every day.

That said, I think you completely missed my point and misread what I wrote entirely. You are not wrong about sexual transmission risk. All I was saying is that when people post here about their concerns, it makes sense that they are primarily concerned about mosquitoes because they are thinking about booking a cruise to an affected area. One can enjoy a cruise without Zika being a problem through sex. Use condoms! However, the risk is greater via mosquito bites because there is no way to ensure you are protected from exposure all of the time. That is the point I am trying to make. Also, the 98% is a statistic on the overall effectiveness of a condom to protect against contracting any STD. That had nothing to do with mosquitoes. Please read what people write carefully. It's frustrating when my words are misconstrued.

We're on the same side of this here, Into Cruising. We're both trying to protect the community, I just recommend doing it in a way that doesn't cause more fear than learning. Talking about Zika is great. It's important. But there is a fine line between giving facts and warning people about risks and scaring them, causing hysteria, which many times can be even more damaging. I don't think this is the best forum for anyone to make a decision as there are too many opinions, one can easily become overwhelmed. I believe it is best to do your research from sound sources (not cruising forums) and talk with your healthcare professionals. Vacations and planning them should be fun and relaxing, not another source of stress.

Edited by Alegeeter