Getaway tips and advice

beachys

I have printed the big master list of drinks found in this forum and plan to see how far my liver and I can get. I'll have to have hubby do a lot of the work cuz I'm not a drinker when not on vacation.

Hi! Any chance you could post that list? Thanks! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
We are getting ready to leave in a few weeks for a cruise on the Getaway.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on their favorite bar, favorite bar tenders or favorite servers?

Also your favorite place to hang out? Possibly to play a round or two of cards?

How are the specialty coffee drinks?

Any advice and tips are welcome!

@ Beachys, how was your cruise?? Hope it was fantastic

Are you able to answer your original questions for me now that you've sailed?

Are all the glasses of wine at the MDR included? I see the lavazza coffee is extra, what about 'regular' coffee?

From the pictures of the getaway, the waterfront look wonderful with some of the couch like seating areas. The pictures seem to make it look uninhabited, how is it during sea days?

D

Most of the wine is under the $15 dollar mark in the MDR or elsewhere. Regular coffee is "free" to everyone at the MDR, other restaurants and the buffet. It is not covered by the beverage package as far as specialty coffees...like lattes from the coffee bar.

I LOVED the Waterfront and on 99.9% of the time it was just me and maybe another person out there!! There are more people around the bar on the smoking side. It was only on the last sea day that I had to walk around twice to find a sofa. Great place to read in the shade and look right out at the water! Sssshhh!! Don't tell anyone...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I found the best waiter on the Getaway. Horice Miller. Honestly the best waiter I've ever had anywhere. Requested his section many times. Also surprisingly I thought the food in the Main Dinning room were so good I was upset I missed a few nights menus due to having the dining package.

The Spa pass was my best purchase of the cruise. My GF convinced me to get the pass and had to admit it was a true highlight.. It was a little piece of heaven. The pay magic show Illusionarium was really really good( the included meal just ok) It was very cool seeing an act from the Illusionarium soon after on the tv show America's got Talent. They got 2nd.

Sadly I have heard that the flamingo grill is gone. This was one of my favorite places for breakfast and lunch. The rope course and slides are good. If you wait till in port to try they are empty no wait time.

Also this has worked multiple times on multiple cruises... Call from your room phone an officer like head of food and beverage and tell them about a great experience or a server you had and I have always received after a plate of chocolate covered strawberries from them delivered to the room.

I loved the Getaway so much am currently booked 12/4/2016 because was so much I didn't do that I wanted to do. Spent so much time in the spa.

We are getting ready to leave in a few weeks for a cruise on the Getaway.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on their favorite bar, favorite bar tenders or favorite servers?

Also your favorite place to hang out? Possibly to play a round or two of cards?

How are the specialty coffee drinks?

Any advice and tips are welcome!

Our favorite before dinner bar was Mixx. Favorite drink: Toma Awww wish I had one now!

We ate at O'Sheehans many, many times. I'm embarrassed to say how many. Usually just for a between meal snack, not a full meal. The Thai Chili wings are SO GOOD. The Moscow Mules there were not too bad. We almost always had the same server and he was so nice! We never had to wait to be seated and we were there at all different times of the day. I think the only time I would avoid it however would be when they are showing a movie in the atrium. There was an action movie one afternoon and I gotta say, those chase scenes got quite loud and the sound carried right into the restaurant.

Do not miss Million Dollar Quartet! In fact, see it more than once if you can. It was amazing. I was so surprised by the level of talent and the quality of this show.

We had a few rounds of rummy in the card room actually! We enjoyed it and once another couple was in there and it was fun to hear their ribbing of one another as they competed. Sounded vaguely familiar ;)

Le Bistro and Cagney's were quite good. We had reservations for La Cucina to round out our 3UDP but decided to return to Le Bistro.

The iConcierge app is great to use. We only used the free functions but it was really helpful to be able to pull up the menu's for each day, see what was going on, etc.

Have a great time!

Is there a drink package one can buy that includes coffee drinks? Or is all the fancy coffee just extra? And will the drink packages that they sell include silly non-alcoholic beverages, like NA pina coladas?

Not one that includes coffee. They include the frozen drinks anything silly you want.

I found the best waiter on the Getaway. Horice Miller. Honestly the best waiter I've ever had anywhere. Requested his section many times. Also surprisingly I thought the food in the Main Dinning room were so good I was upset I missed a few nights menus due to having the dining package.

The Spa pass was my best purchase of the cruise. My GF convinced me to get the pass and had to admit it was a true highlight.. It was a little piece of heaven. The pay magic show Illusionarium was really really good( the included meal just ok) It was very cool seeing an act from the Illusionarium soon after on the tv show America's got Talent. They got 2nd.

Sadly I have heard that the flamingo grill is gone. This was one of my favorite places for breakfast and lunch. The rope course and slides are good. If you wait till in port to try they are empty no wait time.

Also this has worked multiple times on multiple cruises... Call from your room phone an officer like head of food and beverage and tell them about a great experience or a server you had and I have always received after a plate of chocolate covered strawberries from them delivered to the room.

I loved the Getaway so much am currently booked 12/4/2016 because was so much I didn't do that I wanted to do. Spent so much time in the spa.

But that thermal spa is the BOMB, is it not? OMG! I was addicted!

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask a quick question on the specialty dining package promotion:

It says Le Bistro is priced A la carte. If we have the specialty dining package, is the price still a la carte or is it covered under the specialty dining package?

Thanks,

We are sailing in 3 weeks. First time on NCL. My question is about finding a spot to lay out and enjoy the sun. We are going to try for vibe passes, but if that fails whats next. We do not use the pool or hot tubs. We like to stay away from the pool area as a rule. On Carnival we could always find a quite spot on one of the upper decks to lay out. We don't need a bar right there, we have no problem walking to get a drink or food. Just worried that we will have a problem finding a place to lay-out since the upper decks are used by the haven etc.

Can you recommend an area away from the pool where we won't have to fight for a chair.

Thanks

We found that Spice H2O was perfect for us. No additional cost, always available chairs in shade or sun and a bar nearby. When we got hot the grotto was right near there. It was also a quiet area.

In addition it wasn't too far from the buffet to run and grab a bite to eat.

We are sailing in 3 weeks. First time on NCL. My question is about finding a spot to lay out and enjoy the sun. We are going to try for vibe passes, but if that fails whats next. We do not use the pool or hot tubs. We like to stay away from the pool area as a rule. On Carnival we could always find a quite spot on one of the upper decks to lay out. We don't need a bar right there, we have no problem walking to get a drink or food. Just worried that we will have a problem finding a place to lay-out since the upper decks are used by the haven etc.

Can you recommend an area away from the pool where we won't have to fight for a chair.

Thanks

There is an upper deck right by Vibe. It is nice and quiet. If you do not get into Vibe, walk towards Vibe anyway and you will see open public decks that are not part of Vibe or the Haven.

We found that Spice H2O was perfect for us. No additional cost, always available chairs in shade or sun and a bar nearby. When we got hot the grotto was right near there. It was also a quiet area.

In addition it wasn't too far from the buffet to run and grab a bite to eat.

are there lawn chairs there

Use your time while waiting to board making reservations for the comedy shows if you are wanting to go to them. Standby lines were very long and many people were turned away on our sailing.

Also, if there are things onboard you definitely want to do make sure you do them before the last sea day. On that day everything is packed and there are lots of lines. We never really had to wait in lines before that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How do you make these reservations before hand?