Hurricane in the Caribbean right now....friends are being rerouted!

DKNE

So for the sake of argument...and yes, I know there is not a hurricane right now...

Where would a cruise going to Key West and the Bahamas be likely to get rerouted to.

I'm ok with whatever...it's an "adventure at sea" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They would have no way to know where they will reroute until the path of the storm can be determined. The ship has very sophisticated radar systems and with the assistance from NOAA. The Captains are very capable and will do everything in their power to keep his guests safe.

They would have no way to know where they will reroute until the path of the storm can be determined. The ship has very sophisticated radar systems and with the assistance from NOAA. The Captains are very capable and will do everything in their power to keep his guests safe.

Never doubted that. But thanks for the reply.

Edited by ledelstein

Same cruise and with the propulsion issues, I wonder what will happen. The Dream has reportedly not been able to get up to full speed or it probably wouldn't be an issue, just going around, key West is tuesday, then we'd for the bahamas, a week after its expected to hit. But with choppy waters and and slow boat... no clue.

Interesting.

So in other words...we won't be able to outrun it. [emoji23][emoji23] (that was a joke before someone corrects me)

Interesting.

So in other words...we won't be able to outrun it. [emoji23][emoji23] (that was a joke before someone corrects me)

LOL.

Exactly. But it's also an interesting thing to consider, most ships can go faster than they do, so they can change ports and go to one that's further out by going a bit faster, the Dream... not so sure.

I work at the International pier in Cozumel where RCCL ports and we have picked up 2 extra sips this week. Empress of the Seas and Freedom.

Our friends are currently on the freedom of the seas which was rerouted to you in cozumel !!

So if typically Carnival cruises from Charleston would reroute to Key West if the Bahamas were in the path of a storm ...I wonder how they would handle a storm that shows it skirting thru both...if the models hold and if the storm were to mature?

Can't change since what will be...will be..just curious if anyone has a thought?

We're on the same cruise as you and we are leaving Saturday to make our trek down to Charleston. It will be an interesting few days of what may or may not happen.

Then why did you book it in the first place if you hope to get rerouted?

Probably for the same reason I booked my cruise.

1) dates worked

2) embark port I wanted to extend my time

3) ship I liked

The most important part , to me, is the actually time spent onboard with my husband. The ports are just an added benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LAST YEAR.... exactly this week....

we were booked for the Glory out of Miami, 7-day Eastern Caribbean

hurricane was coming directly for our path to St Thomas

we arrived at Miami to check in and discovered our cruise had been moved to a 7-day Western Caribbean to avoid the hurricane.

It was fine with us, disappointed YES, but we got in a great cruise with no bad weather.

Just hang in there.... Carnival is not going to run your ship into a storm, like some other lines did last year. It may not be what you booked, but it will be a cruise.

The OP's friends are on the Freedom of the Seas - its RCI that is adjusting the route, not Carnival. Although I do agree with your general sediment in "why are they adjusting the route so early?"

Im guessing Royal Caribbean doesn't want a repeat disaster like the Anthem of the Sea. We were on the conquest last summer around this time. We were being chased by 2 hurricanes. The captain was brilliant and did change itineraries BUT we didn't know until 2 days into the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums