Euros

housecruiser86

Everyone has a different answer!

What works for me is to use my ATM card at local cash machines once I arrive.

If you have Bank of America there are some partner banks where they waive the ATM fee. An ATM transaction gives you the best daily exchange rate plus up to 3% transaction fee (check with your bank on what the percentage is). ATM's are very accessible and I didn't have any issues finding one.

It's whatever you are comfortable with. I prefer to get some before I leave, and then use the ATM's once I get there.

I picked some up last year from an ATM in Martinque, and ordered some recently from AAA. I know Wells Fargo has them.

There is no doubt in my mind the rate you get at home is better than on your travels. That sat credit cards are always best - especially if you have an exchange rate favourable card.

Just be sure if using an atm it's a free one.

My local back charges a $12 fee no matter how many euros I get. My ATM attached to our savings account was a $5 fee for each transaction plus a possible 1 to 3% add'l fee. For us it is a no brainer...get the euros here before we leave. If we get cash twice (which we absolutely would due to the cash limit per transaction) we have paid for the bank fee. Check with your local bank and figure out all of the fees, it may save you money to get them here before you leave. We will have our debit card in case we need it and our regular credit card (it has no transaction fees or exchange fees) but not every place will take a credit card.

We took some since our bank had a great exchange rate, then we pre paid our no foreign transaction fee credit card so we could use it as an atm without the cash advance fees, lastly we had a charles schwab account the had no ftf's and reimbursed all atm fees.

We ordered some Euro at our local bank for our upcoming cruise. It only took a day for the order to come in. We have a week on land after our cruise, so we may need some more along the way and will just hit up an ATM. I don't like traveling with too much cash.

I'm heading to Barcelona at the end of September for my first European cruise on the Vista.

I'm trying to figure out when and where I should get euros.

Should I get them in US before going or should I get them in Europe itself?

We will get them here in the US for the same reason many stated. Banks charge 3% plus withdrawal fees. We will eventually get more in Europe during the cruise. Just trying to avoid some of the extra charges........ Heads up. XE and other sites show exchange rates and those are Wholesale, what banks charge other banks. To find Retail rates Dollars to Euros I use Wells Fargo's website. Right now XE shows 1.09 and WF shows 1.1799. Just don't want you to be disappointed when you are told the rate.

I don't know if it's different for American travellers, but for us euros, using an ATM on arrival is probably the WORST way to forgo lossy cash (outside of doing it at the airport). For the UK at least, travelmoneymax.com will give the rates at all local exchange beuroes in the area