Advice on car transfer from JFK to Brooklyn Cruise terminal

BlueVinney

I recently had a quotation for a car transfer from JFK to Brooklyn Terminal, leaving at 11am on a weekday. However we'll be staying one night at a hotel adjacent to the airport, so I also had a quotation for travel directly from our hotel. That transfer quotation was over $20 MORE expensive.

So could someone help with the following queries:

1. Why would it be more expensive from the hotel than the airport?

2. Is a car service the most cost effective way of making this journey (2 people, 2 suitcases, 2 carry-ons)?

3. The subway option (suggested by MTA) is more economical but the Airtrain > Subway and Subway > Bus transfers seem unattractive.

4. Has anyone any other suggestions for that transfer? (I've tried Uber but that is almost identical to the one from the car company for JFK to Brooklyn)

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I recently had a quotation for a car transfer from JFK to Brooklyn Terminal, leaving at 11am on a weekday. However we'll be staying one night at a hotel adjacent to the airport, so I also had a quotation for travel directly from our hotel. That transfer quotation was over $20 MORE expensive.

So could someone help with the following queries:

1. Why would it be more expensive from the hotel than the airport?

2. Is a car service the most cost effective way of making this journey (2 people, 2 suitcases, 2 carry-ons)?

3. The subway option (suggested by MTA) is more economical but the Airtrain > Subway and Subway > Bus transfers seem unattractive.

4. Has anyone any other suggestions for that transfer? (I've tried Uber but that is almost identical to the one from the car company for JFK to Brooklyn)

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

What hotel are you staying at ("adjacent" is very vague when you're discussing an airport as big as JFK) and what exactly did they quote you for each of the possible trips?

Edited by 138east

The major car services such as Dial 7 and Carmel Limo commonly offer discounted trips from the airports.

If you're at a hotel that's close to the airport and offers a free shuttle, you could take the shuttle back to one of the airport terminals and then take the car service from there.

I just randomly priced next Thursday with a 9:45 AM pickup at HI at JFK to Red Hook, as low as $45 to $52 before discount if booked online. And, there is no toll whatsoever, at all.

383029c295021fdd88fce2f61400ac5a.jpg

Granted that Dial7 is sometimes slightly higher by a few dollars, it isn't higher by $20 vs. pickup at JFK, as it's sometimes at Federal Circle being the pickup point, a 5 to 10 minutes ride by AirTrain from the terminals. Peak or surge pricing shouldn't applied, which Dial7 do sometimes ... although, I hear that they are doing that for LGA airport runs, as it's taking the drivers as much as 30 to 60 extra minutes to get the rider into the terminal or exit the interior roadways, due to airport constructions (unrelated to JFK)

via Nexus* over Google Fi - WiFi network, VPN secured

Edited by mking8288

We took the AirTrain commuter rail service from JFK to connect to the NYC subway system to get to town. It worked out quite well. We each had only one medium-sized suitcase and a small carry-on bag with us.

http://newyork-nyc.com/transportation/

The OP is traveling to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, not into Manhattan. AirTrain and subway is not a good option for the OP's trip.

OP is staying at a hotel near / next to JFK Airport in Jamaica, Queens - good luck hailing or finding a cruising yellow metered taxi. Our neighborhood car services have green taxi that's metered if hailed on the street or will charge a flat rate if radio dispatched by calling/booking ahead.

Whether it's a green or yellow taxi, if stalled in slowing traffic in the portable parking lot going from JFK/Queens to Red Hook/Brooklyn, whether it's via the Belt Parkway or I-678 to LIE to BQE - on a weekday trip - could cost more than a few dollars extra, far more than the very, very reasonable fare for Carmel (and, probably true for Dial7) ... both services combined with a citywide, fleet of 1,500 vehicles that they dispatched directly from their bases - not a booking services or reseller.

Two travelers unfamiliar with the area hauling a 25" roller or spinner plus a carry-on bag each for 5 to 10 blocks, with multiple transfers, steps, elevators & escalators - crossing streets & industrial area isn't exactly a smart nor wise recommendation, IMHO of course. There is probably a frugal way to travel from their JFK hotel, as we don't know exactly where they are staying overnight, to walk to the nearest bus stop & connect/transfer to the regular subway train, more transfers & so forth, for as little as $5.50 p/p plus a $1 charge for a single MetroCard ... if they wish to allow up to 2 to 2.5 hours to get to Pier #12.

Edited by mking8288

OP is staying at a hotel near / next to JFK Airport in Jamaica, Queens - good luck hailing or finding a cruising yellow metered taxi. Our neighborhood car services have green taxi that's metered if hailed on the street or will charge a flat rate if radio dispatched by calling/booking ahead.

Whether it's a green or yellow taxi, if stalled in slowing traffic in the portable parking lot going from JFK/Queens to Red Hook/Brooklyn, whether it's via the Belt Parkway or I-678 to LIE to BQE - on a weekday trip - could cost more than a few dollars extra, far more than the very, very reasonable fare for Carmel (and, probably true for Dial7) ... both services combined with a citywide, fleet of 1,500 vehicles that they dispatched directly from their bases - not a booking services or reseller.

Two travelers unfamiliar with the area hauling a 25" roller or spinner plus a carry-on bag each for 5 to 10 blocks, with multiple transfers, steps, elevators & escalators - crossing streets & industrial area isn't exactly a smart nor wise recommendation, IMHO of course. There is probably a frugal way to travel from their JFK hotel, as we don't know exactly where they are staying overnight, to walk to the nearest bus stop & connect/transfer to the regular subway train, more transfers & so forth, for as little as $5.50 p/p plus a $1 charge for a single MetroCard ... if they wish to allow up to 2 to 2.5 hours to get to Pier #12.

It looks like you are almost advertising for Carmel so I must assume you really like it. I'm not saying that a taxi would be cheaper, but from an airport hotel to red hook, it should be a metered fare of about $50 for a taxi. It should not be hard getting one at an airport hotel. Just ask the bellman or front desk and one will be there in minutes. That is my experience, although I would probably just use uber myself as long as it isn't high surge pricing. Personally I do recommend a car service when in the suburbs to friends or coworkers, but usually don't find them as worthwhile in the city since you have to plan ahead, but there are so many options in New York that everyone has their favorites.

Edited by Roseflyer

It looks like you are almost advertising for Carmel so I must assume you really like it. I'm not saying that a taxi would be cheaper, but from an airport hotel to red hook, it should be a metered fare of about $50 for a taxi. It should not be hard getting one at an airport hotel. Just ask the bellman or front desk and one will be there in minutes. That is my experience, although I would probably just use uber myself as long as it isn't high surge pricing. Personally I do recommend a car service when in the suburbs to friends or coworkers, but usually don't find them as worthwhile in the city since you have to plan ahead, but there are so many options in New York that everyone has their favorites.

We don't know the location of the OPs hotel. The medallion cabs stay on the airport property, they don't ride around Queens looking to pick up fares.

Thanks for all the replies, they've been very helpful. But to add a little more information.

I'm staying at the Best Western JFK Airport. The two quotes were from Dial 7.

From the airport - $52 plus tolls, extra for delays and gratuity

From the hotel - “about $20 more” if my memory is correct.

This appears to be the difference in pricing that njhorseman suggested.

I was wondering if there is any other strategy that would avoid use of the airport shuttle but not incur the extra cost.

The MTA travel planner solution for $7.75 pp

1. Airtrain to Howard Beach Station

2. Transfer to subway A train to Jay St -Metrotech Station

3. Transfer to #61 Bus for the entrance to the Cruise Terminal

Seems a good solution if you are lightly loaded.

However it's looking like the most practical solution may well be to book a mid-morning car from JFK with Dial 7 and use the hotel shuttle to get me to the airport.

Edited by BlueVinney

Between JFK and/or BW Hotel off S. Conduit Ave, there are no tolls going to/from the BCT. As for delays, I would clarify with Dial7 as to how & what their formula to charge.

As noted already, you will not find a yellow NYC taxi cruising or sitting at/near any of the JFK airport hotels. "Green" colored taxi will charge the metered rates if you find one cruising empty as a street hail, unlikely to easily find one. Most of the JFK hotels don't have a doorman, but the front desk clerk can probably call one of their friendly car service for you - it could be Dial7 or Carmel or one of many others from the neighborhood.

Everyone has their favorite car service. For the record, I have no affiliations or desire to promote Carmel over another service. But, yes, we prefer Carmel over the years plus we a choice of 2+ neighborhood car services, and we also do - sometimes - ride the yellow taxi in Manhattan. City buses, generally, do not have luggage racks.

Based on the current taxi regulations & rate tables, a metered taxi run from JFK to BCT via the Belt Parkway (25 miles) is about $55 including surcharges plus idle time sitting in traffic, which can easily add another $5, $10 or $15 or more to the base fare. The route via I-678 to I-495 West to BQE is the shorter router @ 20 miles, but is even more delay-prone on weekdays ... the $5 fare saved for the distance will be wiped out by any delays, especially at/near the Kosciuszko Bridge on the BQE. With tipping, your "typical" taxi fare will add up to about $75 to $80.

You should also know that Dial7 do sometimes invoke peak and surge pricing in giving a quote. I would call and get it re-priced, or, try using their free Mobile App to get a DIY quote.

Generally JFK hotel shuttles pickup inbound pax at Federal Circles and for outbound/departing pax - pax will be dropped off at the airline terminals. If you need to the AirTrain, speak to the hotel to ask whether or not that they will drop you off at Federal Circle so that you can transfer to Howard Beach AT Station, etc. (they should ... it will just add an extra 15 to 30 minutes to your trip time)

If you plan to use Dial7, you should confirm with them the pickup procedures as they might be asking flyers to use Federal Circle, one of the AirTrain Station stop, as the location to meet their driver & vehicle ... or, will they pickup at the airline terminal (some car service do) That might explain the $20 price difference, maybe ??

Travel time using the AirTrain, the #A subway line and the #61 bus for the pier will take about 2+ hours, plus transfer time from hotel to the AirTrain. You can easily use Google Map's planner to plot it yourself to see.

Depending on your approximate travel date(s) - events like the U.S. Tennis Open starting today and/or annual United Nations General Assembly meeting at U.N. might be other factors further affecting your travel plans.

I thought of another way. AirTrain to Jamaica LIRR. Take first train to Atlantic Terminal. Uber from Atlantic Terminal to cruise terminal.

If you have the patience to take the shuttle back to airport this is more expensive than subway and bus but less expensive than car service. I'm always seeing uber offering credits if you download the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Got2Cruise - Got2Cruise - that can work too. ;)

OP from the UK will need to have cellular data services on their smartphone to run the App, and to stay in touch with the Uber driver, etc. to make this work - and, to check real-time MTA/LIRR train schedule & status (as we all know how "reliable" their commuter services can be ... sometimes, without notices or warning, or, switching or power problems, police activities, etc.) - with off-peak fares (arriving after 10 AM) of $7.25 p/p one-way purchased at the kiosk/machine at Jamaica terminal before boarding.

For simplicity & saving some money vs. a straight taxi/car service and better connection - but, forget about free hotel shuttle back to JFK for the AirTrain (to do the AirTrain, as that's already $10 for 2 adults) and just do a short Uber/Lyft ride from hotel directly to nearby Jamaica AirTrain/LIRR station around 9:30 or 10 AM (depending on their planned arrival time for Red Hook).

After 9:30 AM - the Brooklyn/Atlantic Terminal services run about once every 30 minutes, unlike frequent trains for NY Penn Station ... (will get them there in 20 minutes + walk time) and from there, finish the final segment on Uber/Lyft & get them curbside-to-curbside at Pier #12.

If they are new to Uber and/or sign up for services here, yes - I've seen those promo codes, look around for one (saw a $20 first-time rider credit recently) as that could cover 1 of 2 trips for free; and, just need to "pay" for the 2nd. Uber or Lyft ride plus LIRR fares for 2 passenger. ($14.50 for LIRR for 2 + estimated ??? ballpark fare of $20 to $25 ... would make the whole transfer @ about $40 USD, not bad ... in about 90 minutes, maybe less)

Time-wise on a weekday, late morning trip to the pier - that isn't that much slower than being driven all the way via the Belt Parkway, not by more than 30 minutes on average.

We have several LGA off-airport hotels around us here, and they offer - in addition to free airport pickup/dropoff (lots of fun lately, with the airport construction mess ... real nasty & dangerous along the Grand Central Parkway exit/access ramps, even the service roads unused mostly till now are badly jammed) - guests connection free to the local MTA/LIRR station in downtown Flushing. If the BW @ JFK will drop them at Jamaica AirTrain/LIRR, it will save them a ride - doesn't hurt to ask.

I personally would just pay the extra $20 and have the car service drive us to cruise, because I'm a crazy American lol. We vacation in Europe and we always get looked at like we're crazy when we want to hire a private taxi to airport when you can take the train or airport bus they are much quicker and faster. It's an embarrassing shame that NYC has a transportation system like a third world country. Europeans don't understand why we say take the car service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Got2Cruise