Thoughts on tipping of shuttle bus drivers

Blondilu

Very well-said! Some folks seem to think that because these jobs are so well-paid or are unionized and as a result are not deserving of tips. If it is such a good deal, why aren't they doing it?

Good point. So the next time you fly on an airliner, do not forget to tip all the flight attendents and pilots. And if you take Amtrak...stop by the engine and give a big tip to the engineer. And do not ever forget to tip your cruise ship Captain along with each and every officer aboard your ship.

Hank

Good point. So the next time you fly on an airliner, do not forget to tip all the flight attendents and pilots. And if you take Amtrak...stop by the engine and give a big tip to the engineer. And do not ever forget to tip your cruise ship Captain along with each and every officer aboard your ship.

Hank

Different situations entirely. By the way, on Amtrak tipping waiters in the dining car or countermen in the club or cafe car is expected.

obli

Sorry but that Article has got it completely wrong and that is part of the problem

Misinformation found on the web.

The ONLY people you need to tip in the UK and most of Europe are wait staff and that is if the service charge is not included.

If you wish you may round up the bill for taxi drivers etc.

And YES I used to work in the service industry and a common sayings when North Americans were involved were "A fool and is money are soon parted" and "Arrogant Flashy T**ts"

Sorry to be blunt but it's True!!��

Even if it is true, were you under someob ligation to posthis here?. iT Is rather instulting to some. As, you say, it is blunt.

Edited by sail7seas

I haven't been back since my question. I've been on this board long enough that I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is so much disagreement on this subject. Not really surprised at the answers, more the strong feelings behind the answers.

On the other hand, last night I asked my neighbor her opinion and was completely shocked when she said "did you know you can remove the auto tips and just give your room steward cash?" "Uh..............yeah, but why would you?" I asked. "Why should I tip people I never see" was her response. And she was quite passionate about spending as little as humanly possible on tips. To me it seems a little twisted to spend thousands of dollars on a trip and then begrudge someone else a couple of dollars. It's so easy the way the cruise line handles it, no confusion. Most of my confusion comes from when I'm NOT on the ship.

From now on I'll just make sure to have some extra dollar bills, or euros or whatever, so I won't be caught unawares. I really didn't like being so blatantly asked for a tip, but also don't want to offend. I'm so blessed to get to travel and those few extra dollars won't break the bank.

Edited by Blondilu