Thoughts on tipping of shuttle bus drivers

Blondilu

Yes! My wife tips them a bit. 2 bit's if they don't wreck like they did in China. BTW/She is Italian and tips according to the custom of whatever country we are in. In Italy tipping is verboten. I mean vietato.

Edited by WupperAV

Why would you tip them? Your tour guide is handsomely paid for doing their job. Remember that is is said that a fool is quickly parted from his money. That is what tipping to other than US hospitality workers amounts to, a fool parting with his money.

I don't care where you are, you always tip you tour guide!

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/passports-and-international-travel/tips-for-tipping-abroad

Why would you tip them? Your tour guide is handsomely paid for doing their job. Remember that is is said that a fool is quickly parted from his money. That is what tipping to other than US hospitality workers amounts to, a fool parting with his money.

You might want to qualify that. In many countries or even areas, they receive low or no pay, and expect to make a living in tips.

We tipped an exceptionally good tour guide in Rome. She seemed a bit surprised but appreciative. We gave it to her under the guise of "you worked so hard giving us a fantastic tour that we wanted to treat you to lunch" and pressed 10 Euro into her hand. While I am sure she gets an acceptable salary, in our opinion we felt she had earned the extra.

No need to tip a driver of a shuttle....you paid for the service...if you feel the need to tip in that case, $1 pp should be fine.

$1pp is apparently not enough. Recently my DW and I took a share van shuttle from LAX to cruise port. I tipped the driver $2 in advance but she wasn't happy and made some sarcastic comment in front of everyone. She then deliberately dropped us off a block from the terminal entrance just to make us walk. I wasn't pleased but let it go so it wouldn't ruin the start of my vacation.

$1pp is apparently not enough. Recently my DW and I took a share van shuttle from LAX to cruise port. I tipped the driver $2 in advance but she wasn't happy and made some sarcastic comment in front of everyone. She then deliberately dropped us off a block from the terminal entrance just to make us walk. I wasn't pleased but let it go so it wouldn't ruin the start of my vacation.

Personally if I am on a shuttle in the USA with no luggage, I feel no need to tip a driver for doing their job. I also don't tip in advance.

That aside, if you had luggage, IMHO a $2 tip for two people is absurdly low.

What I don't understand when people say this is why it is acceptable for you to continue your tipping system wherever you go regardless of the cultural norms of the places you visit?

When British or Australian or other people visit the US, we expect them to adhere to our (somewhat chaotic) system of tipping. In fact, people regularly chastise folks on these forums who don't understand US tipping and don't particularly want to comply.

So why, then, do people from the US feel it is okay to tip according to US custom when traveling outside the US? That's the kind of thing that makes people stand out as culturally insensitive.

Sure, the person to whom you give the tip is unlikely to refuse it. They don't want to offend you and/or they are willing to accept it. But what about all the other people who LIVE in that geography? When Americans come in and tip BIG and regularly, servers, guides, etc. get used to it and expect it from everyone -- even though they already make a fair wage to which tips are not expected to contribute.

We typically do as the Romans do and round up leaving coins after a meal or say thank you but don't tip unless someone truly goes out of their way for us. I think we have tipped tour guides in Europe twice, once as mentioned before in this thread, and the other...

We had a guide in Croatia. Long story short, I noticed something about her that gave me a little insight into her faith and mentioned it to her in a non-assuming manner. She readily opened up about her weekly pilgrimage to a shrine which had to be an eight hour round trip--she was a very devout Catholic, as is my sister, which is how I recognized the thing that started the whole conversation. I told her how my niece is named after the particular shrine she visits to pray at. She handed me a prayer card and a small icon and asked me to give them to my niece and told me she would pray for her and that she must be a particularly special person to carry that name.

Anyhow, at the end of the tour I gave her some money and told her to use it towards her pilgrimage and to light a candle for my niece. I am sure it was enough to fund her trip for several months and light many candles. She gratefully accepted it. It felt more like a gift to someone who had touched me than a tip in all honesty.

I can't fathom not tipping a private guide who has spent an entire day with me.

Am I wrong to assume they are not expecting a tip?

It depends on the country. In the Caribbean you should tip them well, most of them make their livings off tips. In French Polynesia it varies--for example Dr. Poole requests no tipping and instead make a donation to UC Davis for his research while some of the locals do expect at least some tip for their tours. In Europe, it is generally not expected and in some cases can be considered offensive, although "leaving the coins" is typical in restaurants. In Asia it varies greatly from country to country, you need to do the research.

I don't chastise people for their tipping practices and I do not expect to be chastised for mine so cruisemom42, you do your thing, I'll do mine.

The only thing I will do is let folks know that in the US a person in a tipped position, such as a server, pays an income tax based on the amount of tips the government expects they should be making. Even many Americans don't realize that. So not tipping doesn't hurt the system, it hurts the individual.

If someone somewhere feels or acts offended because I offer a tip then I'll apologize but I've been places where it is supposedly not "expected" only to find out it is.

What I don't understand when people say this is why it is acceptable for you to continue your tipping system wherever you go regardless of the cultural norms of the places you visit?

When British or Australian or other people visit the US, we expect them to adhere to our (somewhat chaotic) system of tipping. In fact, people regularly chastise folks on these forums who don't understand US tipping and don't particularly want to comply.

So why, then, do people from the US feel it is okay to tip according to US custom when traveling outside the US? That's the kind of thing that makes people stand out as culturally insensitive.

Sure, the person to whom you give the tip is unlikely to refuse it. They don't want to offend you and/or they are willing to accept it. But what about all the other people who LIVE in that geography? When Americans come in and tip BIG and regularly, servers, guides, etc. get used to it and expect it from everyone -- even though they already make a fair wage to which tips are not expected to contribute.

Agree completely.

I don't chastise people for their tipping practices and I do not expect to be chastised for mine so cruisemom42, you do your thing, I'll do mine.

The only thing I will do is let folks know that in the US a person in a tipped position, such as a server, pays an income tax based on the amount of tips the government expects they should be making. Even many Americans don't realize that. So not tipping doesn't hurt the system, it hurts the individual.

If someone somewhere feels or acts offended because I offer a tip then I'll apologize but I've been places where it is supposedly not "expected" only to find out it is.

This is the crux of it all. In the USA, not tipping a server or bartender not only means they aren't making a living, but the reality is that they actually LOSE money. They pay out of their pocket for serving you. In some cases, it can be not only to the IRS, but also to a mandatory tip pool for bussers, hostesses, and others who work the service floor.

If guests of this country don't want to pay service staff a tip (when service has been at least adequate) then they should eat at counter service establishments where the workers are paid a wage that has no expectation of tips.

I live in Orlando and applaud the restaurant owners who have begun adding an automatic 18-20% gratuity to ensure our hard working citizens don't get stiffed by cheap or ignorant tourists. It's not just foreigners, either. It's also people who figure they have already paid "too much" for vacation and will never see that server again. Before someone gets their nose bent, a manager has the discretion to remove it if the customer complains of poor service--which seldom happens. Apparently most don't have the nerve to actually try to justify their cheapness to someone's face.

People make choices as to where they live. One of the things that the choices affect are the costs of housing. If you decide to live in an area where the housing costs are high, you have to live with the decision. Then again, there may not be jobs for longshoremen in areas where the living costs are lower.

Regardless, earning $100,000 for a job that requires zero intellectual skills is absurd. Do you know that a pilot who flies one of your regional jets makes $35,000 to start and he has to pay for his own flying training.

DON

And who fault is that.

helpthejuggler, you agree that people should accept the norm of the country they are visiting. OK, having worked in more than one tipped position in the past I can tell you for a fact that folks many from the UK are some of the worst when it comes to following the US custom for tipping while visiting here. Not all of them of course, but many have come right out and told me they don't like the system and refuse to follow it. That's fine, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. They want insist on doing things their way here, then I will do my way there (yes, been there several times). Heaven forbid I should give a fellow human a few extra coins regardless of what they are paid.

Oh well, I'm outta' here. We'll just have to disagree.

Please don't assume that tipping is a world wide custom. It is not. We do tip but we would never think of tipping a shuttle bus driver.

There are many countries where tipping is simply not the norm. Don't judge everyone by our NA customs. Tipping has moved from a thank you for good service to subsidizing an employers wage packet. Especially in the hospitality trade. Marriott sent us a piece suggesting that we tip the cleaners. Our local restaurant suggests an 18 percent tip...up from 15 percent. Sorry, it is just not on for us.

Surelyafter having read/posted here for all these months and know thst a great many who come to this forum are very well traveled people. Many have traveled all continenets and dozens of coun tries.. No need for such ' put down, which is how that post. Many arre sophisticated and well. informed. it is rather amazing for that to not be recognized as to the regulars here.

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry but that Article has got it completely wrong and that is part of the problem

Misinformation found on the web.

The ONLY people you need to tip in the UK and most of Europe are wait staff and that is if the service charge is not included.

If you wish you may round up the bill for taxi drivers etc.

And YES I used to work in the service industry and a common sayings when North Americans were involved were "A fool and is money are soon parted" and "Arrogant Flashy T**ts"

Sorry to be blunt but it's True!!😳

helpthejuggler, you agree that people should accept the norm of the country they are visiting. OK, having worked in more than one tipped position in the past I can tell you for a fact that folks many from the UK are some of the worst when it comes to following the US custom for tipping while visiting here. Not all of them of course, but many have come right out and told me they don't like the system and refuse to follow it. That's fine, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. They want insist on doing things their way here, then I will do my way there (yes, been there several times). Heaven forbid I should give a fellow human a few extra coins regardless of what they are paid.

I was always taught that two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone else does something wrong or stupid, doesn't mean it's okay that I do it.

And I was not chastising you, just asking the obvious question, same as you felt free to question Hank about what he stated...

Edited by cruisemom42

Indeed - I agree with your first point. Follow the local custom if you are able.

I too would disagree with my countrymen who intentionally ignore their host custom.

There we diverge. Those who are ignorant, know no better I criticise their poor manners as a visitor by neglecting research for their visit. I applaud your earlier plan to explain your crazy system.

They may come around, or they may not.

You would of course accept their conclusion. I might be less forgiving for their intentional disregard for your custom.

To intentionally repeat their poor behaviour, despite our earlier view that we should modify our practice to suit the host custom seems perverse. Didn't we agree that we all should follow cultural norms?.

For this I have to find fault ignoring your own advice.

Since you left the thread, my post falls on deaf ears. Shame - we agree on the basics. I don't like the taste of goose though so cannot gander with you.

The real villain is the US tipping system and tax rules which should be the focus of your disquiet.

If there is so much ambiguity that US natives find it hard to follow, what hope does the visitor have?

I suspect that I have got it wrong on my 8 visits to the US. At least I always tried...

If you want to give away your money for no reason more power to you. It just makes you stand out as an ugly American.

BTW that links says nothing about tour guides, and was written by an unknowing American.

Edited by zqvol

You might want to qualify that. In many countries or even areas, they receive low or no pay, and expect to make a living in tips.

We tipped an exceptionally good tour guide in Rome. She seemed a bit surprised but appreciative. We gave it to her under the guise of "you worked so hard giving us a fantastic tour that we wanted to treat you to lunch" and pressed 10 Euro into her hand. While I am sure she gets an acceptable salary, in our opinion we felt she had earned the extra.

That is simply untrue, even in the US.If you want to give away money then more power to you, but the tour guide was surprised because tipping is neither needed, required nor expected in Rome.

That is simply untrue, even in the US.If you want to give away money then more power to you, but the tour guide was surprised because tipping is neither needed, required nor expected in Rome.

Maybe you need to reread my post. I never said it was required, just the opposite. We tipped because there was a civil disruption which she managed to find a work around and delivered an exceptionally good tour. She went above and beyond and we wanted to reward her effort and show our appreciation. We know that tipping is not the norm, which is why we told her that we appreciated the extra effort she made on our behalf and wished to pay for her lunch to thank her as we gave her the money.

It was a thank you for going above and beyond. Had she simply been doing her job, she would have just cancelled the tour and left.

I read somewhere that some people confuse "tipping" with "saying thank-you " ?

As a Canadian, I try to follow local customs....

. However, In a restaurant, don't ask the waiter......... ask another customer.

What I hate, is when a tip is expected of me as a "Northern American" but would not be expected by the local.

Sorry but that Article has got it completely wrong and that is part of the problem

Misinformation found on the web.

The ONLY people you need to tip in the UK and most of Europe are wait staff and that is if the service charge is not included.

If you wish you may round up the bill for taxi drivers etc.

And YES I used to work in the service industry and a common sayings when North Americans were involved were "A fool and is money are soon parted" and "Arrogant Flashy T**ts"

Sorry to be blunt but it's True!!😳

Our private tour guide in Scotland seemed neither insulted or surprised when we tipped him (based on his service, which was excellent).

I think it's really important to remember that in different cultures there is different ways (and what is more important: different reasons) to tip anyone. It seems like sharing the local traditions and secrets can help to deside to tip or not to tip.

It was eyeopener to me, that in US some staff earn less than minimum wage, and besides should pay some kind of tax based on the amount expected to be made. So from this moment I'll think twice before reducing the amount of gratuity in american restaurant. If this is a part of local culture and etiquette I will follow that, even if it seems very strange for me, because even in my nightmare I don't want to put my hand to the waiters pocket.

In Russia we have quite different interpretation of tips. The wage is supposed to be payed by employer in accordance to the contract and not less than the minimum prescribed for the administrative area. And the gratuity is some kind of hand-to-hand appreciation, just one of the ways to say Thank You. If someone does his job well, he has his wage. If someone does an excelent job, than someone may be wants to tip him. It's not true that in Russia tips are not expected (as Hlitner mentioned) The staff do expect the gratuity, and dream of it. But one will work hard, to make the dream come true, and another will wait for tourist who will tip anyway. So both staff and customer can do their own choice to do or not to do. (BTW if we pay by credit/debit card we pay only a bill. If we whant to tip we do that in cash - this is the only way to be sure, that the waiter who serve you will get your tips)

So when we are abroad, automatic 18-20% gratuity added to the bill turnes into a big surprise, and into a double surprise, when after paying such bill we are suggested (or expected) to tip again.

As for me the best way is in the proverb "When you in Rome do as a Romans do".

I will higly appreciate if someone else will explain how to deal in anoter countries or regions of the world.

People make choices as to where they live. One of the things that the choices affect are the costs of housing. If you decide to live in an area where the housing costs are high, you have to live with the decision. Then again, there may not be jobs for longshoremen in areas where the living costs are lower.

Regardless, earning $100,000 for a job that requires zero intellectual skills is absurd. Do you know that a pilot who flies one of your regional jets makes $35,000 to start and he has to pay for his own flying training.

DON

There are many jobs which require no intellectual skills but are extremely tough in the body or dangerous. Pay isn't always determined by education or intellect (and I would argue the two are not codependent by any means).

There are many jobs which require no intellectual skills but are extremely tough in the body or dangerous. Pay isn't always determined by education or intellect (and I would argue the two are not codependent by any means).

Very well-said! Some folks seem to think that because these jobs are so well-paid or are unionized and as a result are not deserving of tips. If it is such a good deal, why aren't they doing it?