Venice cruise terminal to Marco Polo airport

treesah

Unless you have done this trip before I would seek a later plane. You will have just destressed on your cruise and you run the risk of increasing it to unbelievable levels to save a couple of hours. Is it worth it? What happens if you are delayed and miss the flight, consequences are greater than travelling a couple of hours later.

A 10:40 flight from FCO would be a bit early for my taste, but generally doable. In this situation we would use Express Debarkation (where you are among the first off the ship...but must carry all your own luggage) coupled with a private transfer to FCO (our personal preference is Romecabs). We would schedule the transfer pick-up at 7am which, if all goes well, should have you at FCO by 8. An advantage of a private transfer is that you can have them take you directly to the remote Terminal 5 (where you must check-in for all direct USA flights).

Hank

I agree a bit on the tight side if something goes wrong, but I assume the OP had a reason for the 10:40 preference. If may other choice was 10pm or 20% more expensive I would go for it. Even at terminal 5 and especially in the morning 3 hours is excessive unless you want to make sure you have time for an airport meal and are extremely slow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by DipBrat

I agree a bit on the tight side if something goes wrong, but I assume the OP had a reason for the 10:40 preference. If may other choice was 10pm or 20% more expensive I would go for it. Even at terminal 5 and especially in the morning 3 hours is excessive unless you want to make sure you have time for an airport meal and are extremely slow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many of the direct to US flights from Rome tend to leave between 10am and 1130ish. This has been discussed frequently. The other issue that has come up frequently is the likelihood of the flight time changing. It seems 11:30 flights can easily be rescheduled to 10:30, putting people getting off ships that day in a bind.

Many of the direct to US flights from Rome tend to leave between 10am and 1130ish. This has been discussed frequently. The other issue that has come up frequently is the likelihood of the flight time changing. It seems 11:30 flights can easily be rescheduled to 10:30, putting people getting off ships that day in a bind.

Not really a major problem. If an airline changes flight times, the passenger can demand a refund or work-out a better scheduled flight (with the airline). This has happened to us numerous times (we do a lot of international and domestic travel) and it has always been resolved with a single phone call (which can last more then a few minutes) to the airline.

Hank

Not really a major problem. If an airline changes flight times, the passenger can demand a refund or work-out a better scheduled flight (with the airline). This has happened to us numerous times (we do a lot of international and domestic travel) and it has always been resolved with a single phone call (which can last more then a few minutes) to the airline.

Hank

I agree and understand. But the far more common reaction is: "The airline just changed our flight to XXXX, an hour earlier. Can we make this flight". And in many of these situations there is only one flight by that airline out of FCO every day. So it becomes a next day situation, further disrupting the poster's vision of how things should go.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It is not normal for an airline to change a flight at the last moment. If they do then they look after their passengers who miss the flight. The issue with the OP is getting to the airport and checking in if the flight leaves at scheduled time.

Thanks for all the responses.

So definitely not new to the whole getting off the boat first thing. This is actually the first time I have seen a 5am departure. That and wanting a direct flight back to Miami and it being at 10:40 am is why I have asked the question is it doable. I can certainly have a private car and be the first off the boat I'm sure If I'm standing at the gangway at 6am. I do feel 3 hours is excessive to be there that early.

I can certainly avoid the stress and just get a connecting flight that leaves a bit later.

Weighing all of your opinions to make a decision.

Thank you.

It is not normal for an airline to change a flight at the last moment. If they do then they look after their passengers who miss the flight. The issue with the OP is getting to the airport and checking in if the flight leaves at scheduled time.

No one said last minute. The change could be 6 months out, 3 months out... one month out. And by the way, airlines change schedules frequently, although usually only by a few minutes. I have about 10 flights on my airline schedule in the next 10 months. I just accepted a small change on a flight two months from now yesterday. I bet 8 of those 10 flights will have changes before we fly. Again, most are small changes.

But I did have a flight on July 4th that started as a noon flight, changed to 11am, then to 1040, then finally settled at 11am. All in 4 months.

I do agree that airlines change flight times all the time. I would think however that in this case being a direct flight to Miami from Rome they would more than likely make it a later flight to accommodate cruise passengers?? Or maybe I'm wrong in thinking the cruise lines work with the airlines in their scheduling?

Todd

I do agree that airlines change flight times all the time. I would think however that in this case being a direct flight to Miami from Rome they would more than likely make it a later flight to accommodate cruise passengers?? Or maybe I'm wrong in thinking the cruise lines work with the airlines in their scheduling?

Todd

I have never heard any evidence the cruise lines collaborate with the airlines on flight schedules, unless a charter flight is involved, or a pretty small airport is involved. There are hundreds of flights out of Rome every day. The percentage of flyers being cruisers doesn't warrant such collaboration. There are too many other issues involved...crews, planes, gates, onward schedules. Cruises in the Med have multinational rosters...they aren't just Americans. On our last Med cruise on Holland America, it was 25% Aussie.

If you read back on this board, you will find MANY threads with the issue of "the darned airline moved my flight earlier XX minutes". As moving a flight later is rarely an issue, you don't see it mentioned.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Getting off the ship may depend on who is the captain. We were required to be out of our cabins by 7:00 am. Bags were out by 10:00 pm the night before (though if you self-disembark that isn't an issue).

Another issue is traffic. We disembarked from Silhouette at about 8:30; on our trip to Rome there was an overturned and jackknifed tractor trailer blocking the traffic heading toward Civitavecchia. Luckily for us, we were going to hotels, rather than FCO because it caused delays in our direction as well. Accidents happen. While it is impossible to prepare for this, it is something to keep in mind. We found a similar issue in New York recently. We were headed to the airport to do our TSA Pre-check application and it took us nearly 2 hours more than expected and we had allowed ample time to get there. Then due to that we allowed extra time to get to the airport when were were flying for the cruise and sat at the airport for quite a while.

It is admittedly frustrating to be ready and waiting for hours. At the same time, the level of stress caused by cutting it close would destroy my vacation high. That said, you know yourself, and you may handle stress very well. You may find it energizing.

Another possibility (depending on time and finances), one of the couples on our trip booked a hotel near the airport and flew out first thing the next morning. This alleviated their stress; they booked a car service that took them on a tour of Rome surroundings, along with a couple traveling with them but flying out the same day on a late flight. This way the first couple was stress-free and the other wasn't spending time waiting at the airport. From what I remember it was only a little more than the airport transfer.

Good luck, whatever you decide. It is one day in a life.

Beth

Getting off the ship may depend on who is the captain. We were required to be out of our cabins by 7:00 am. Bags were out by 10:00 pm the night before (though if you self-disembark that isn't an issue).

Another issue is traffic. We disembarked from Silhouette at about 8:30; on our trip to Rome there was an overturned and jackknifed tractor trailer blocking the traffic heading toward Civitavecchia. Luckily for us, we were going to hotels, rather than FCO because it caused delays in our direction as well. Accidents happen. While it is impossible to prepare for this, it is something to keep in mind. We found a similar issue in New York recently. We were headed to the airport to do our TSA Pre-check application and it took us nearly 2 hours more than expected and we had allowed ample time to get there. Then due to that we allowed extra time to get to the airport when were were flying for the cruise and sat at the airport for quite a while.

It is admittedly frustrating to be ready and waiting for hours. At the same time, the level of stress caused by cutting it close would destroy my vacation high. That said, you know yourself, and you may handle stress very well. You may find it energizing.

Another possibility (depending on time and finances), one of the couples on our trip booked a hotel near the airport and flew out first thing the next morning. This alleviated their stress; they booked a car service that took them on a tour of Rome surroundings, along with a couple traveling with them but flying out the same day on a late flight. This way the first couple was stress-free and the other wasn't spending time waiting at the airport. From what I remember it was only a little more than the airport transfer.

Good luck, whatever you decide. It is one day in a life.

Beth

And a lightening bolt could come out of the sky and disable your vehicle :). Only teasing. You are correct that unexpected events can sure cause havoc. The road between Civitavecchia and FCO ((we have driven this (in our own rental car) many times)) is an excellent high speed Autostrade (interstate-type highway) where major delays are rare. But if the road were to be blocked it would keep thousands of other folks from getting to the airport (what a mess). There are times where one must just play the odds and do what is reasonable. Personally we have had our path blocked by rock/mud slides (near Ravello), run into unannounced train strikes, had cruises where our docking was delayed for many hours due to mechanical and weather issues, etc.

If one chooses to spend their life playing the "what if" game....then they have to act accordingly (and take lots of Xanax). Hence we have the folks that only take cruise line excursions (some are afraid to walk 1 block without a guide), buy expensive cancellation insurance, take many anti-anxiety pills, etc. On the other hand, there are plenty of us who have been doing our own thing for a lifetime, avoid crowded tours, do their homework, are comfortable with controlled risk, and know how to adapt when things do not go as planned. As we said in our post, what the OP wants to do is reasonable...although a flight that left at noon would be more desirable. Does that mean there is a foolproof plan? Nope.

As to spending a pre-flight night near FCO, we have stayed in the Airport Hilton on a few occasions. Its a great location ((you can walk to the FCO terminals (except terminal 5)) and Ostia Antica (wonderful ruins) are only about 15 minutes drive from the hotel.

Hank

Thanks guys for all the posts. Lots of good advice!

My reasoning behind trying to catch that earlier flight back to states is to get back to work the next day........but really....what the heck am I thinking!? Who cares if I miss another day after a 3 land + 9 day cruise vacation.........I will be in rome!

Could be one good last wine tour waiting for me! I can catch the next day's flight or a connecting one later on!

You are right....no need for me to be stressing about this. Thanks for that!

TD

We're getting off a ship on the 28th of this month with a party of 6. I know everyone says there are plenty of taxis available at the port, but we would like the peace of mind knowing we had one pre booked. Do you know of a trusted site to pre book a land taxi?

We just returned and used AirportTaxiTransfers.com. We got off ship early driver was there with name on sign. Cost 40 euro for up to 5 people. Site shows for 8 people, 8 luggage, 8 carryon's, cost 45 euro, 75 euro for 12 people, 12 luggage, 12 carryon's. I booked the service while we were in port in Greece, found another couple to share our shuttle. Great service.

Around 40 Euro. If you are overnighting the day before departure there will be taxi/limo representatives at the terminal taking reservations for the next morning. If you have more than 2 people or lots of luggage you can set up a mini van rather than a car. They meet you at the terminal exit at the agreed time and help with luggage to the vehicle which will be parked nearby.

We just returned from Venice cruise port on Rhapsody. If you're looking for a service, I recommend AirportTaxiTransfers.com. I booked while we were in Greece, they offered a sudan for 38 euro, luxury minivan for 40 euro. We booked the minivan and found a couple during the debarkation talk to share the shuttle. We got off early, driver was there with sign before the scheduled pickup time. He helped with our bags, vehicle was clean, process was easy.

We are going 1 day pre cruise if you have any suggestions to stay away from the crowds it would be appreciated. We are going in late October so maybe the crowds will be gone by then.

Thanks,

Laurie

Edited by laurie1534

• 1 month later...
We just returned from Venice cruise port on Rhapsody. If you're looking for a service, I recommend AirportTaxiTransfers.com. I booked while we were in Greece, they offered a sudan for 38 euro, luxury minivan for 40 euro. We booked the minivan and found a couple during the debarkation talk to share the shuttle. We got off early, driver was there with sign before the scheduled pickup time. He helped with our bags, vehicle was clean, process was easy.

What time did you get off the ship and how long did it take you to get to the airport. I am thinking about booking a 11:00am flight on delta back to Palm Beach. Will I make it to the airport and check in on time??

Just got off the Vision of the Seas on Saturday at Venice. Our ship had several time slots available for disembarkation and we were given a late one. Folks with early flights were given earlier timeslots (~7:00-7:30am). We were off the ship at 8:30am, picked up our luggage and then took the peoplemover to Piazzale Roma. Then we took the ATVO Bus to the airport, and arrived at the airport by 9:30am. Unfortunately, the Delta counter does not open until exactly 3 hours before the flight. (Note: Delta's counter is on the ground floor next to EasyJet's. Even though the airport signs say the departure counters are located on the 1st floor, this is not true for Delta and EasyJet.) Our flight was at 1pm. There were Delta agents literally sitting at the counter who would not open to customers until exactly 10am so we stood in line literally staring at idle Delta agents doing nothing. We checked in, and were in the Marco Polo Lounge (love Priority Pass) by 10:45. Given our experience, I would say an 11am flight might be a little tight, but do-able using the ATVO Bus.