Have camera will blog, Maasdam 14 day Alaska

TheSecondSister

Enjoying your blog, great photos, thank you.

Are made to order sandwiches available at lunchtime in the Lido, or just the pre-made sandwiches?

I'm glad you're enjoying my blog and photos - I have such a lot of fun doing them!

The Lido is now the Lido Marketplace, which is a slightly different from the previous Lido incarnation. The decor is quite nice (not sure when it was redone, but it looks relatively recent) and I really like all the fresh orchids.

One of the changes is no made-to-order sandwich station, so all sandwiches are premade and the selection varies from day to day. I haven't paid much attention, as we don't eat in the Lido, and sandwiches aren't my thing anyway. I get those at home :D

Edited by TheSecondSister

I'm glad you're enjoying my blog and photos - I have such a lot of fun doing them!

The Lido is now the Lido Marketplace, which is a slightly different from the previous Lido incarnation. The decor is quite nice (not sure when it was redone, but it looks relatively recent) and I really like all the fresh orchids.

One of the changes is no made-to-order sandwich station, so all sandwiches are premade and the selection varies from day to day. I haven't paid much attention, as we don't eat in the Lido, and sandwiches aren't my thing anyway. I get those at home :D

Thank you for your reply.

Are snacks still available in the Neptune Lounge at lunchtime?

We are looking forward to boarding the Maasdam next month, for a 43 day voyage.

Thank you for your reply.

Are snacks still available in the Neptune Lounge at lunchtime?

We are looking forward to boarding the Maasdam next month, for a 43 day voyage.

They sure are - and we enjoy them :) Starts with continental breakfast from 7-10:30, midday snacks 11 - 2:30; afternoon tea 3-5pm and canapes 5 - 8:15pm.

Not to mention lattes and cappucinos when the Neptune Lounge is open (7am - 8:30pm)

They sure are - and we enjoy them :) Starts with continental breakfast from 7-10:30, midday snacks 11 - 2:30; afternoon tea 3-5pm and canapes 5 - 8:15pm.

Not to mention lattes and cappucinos when the Neptune Lounge is open (7am - 8:30pm)

Thank you for this information.

Is orange juice still available during the continental breakfast hours?

Really enjoying your blog! I hope you will take many pictures of the docking in Sitka. Also if you see a bus from there with a handicap chair lift bus, let me know.

Would also like to know of any independents going to Fortress of the Bears. The ones with HAL are linked up with the Otter cruise which my handicapped friend cannot board. Or do you have a Fortress of the Bears tour available on your cruise?

Sorry for all the questions...lol.

Hi Tinknock,

My sister and I arranged for a private minivan with Sitka Tours - 4 hours cost us $240 which is certainly reasonable. It was not a handicapped van, but I believe they do have one or two. It has to be arranged through the Shore Excursion desk as Sitka Tours contracts with HAL and you can't book it directly with Sitka Tours.

With a private car, you can go anywhere you want - as our wonderful driver Carlos said, "I'm at your service". He took us everywhere we wanted and would have stopped at Fortress of the Bears and waited for us to complete a tour if we wanted. (No ship's tour did only the Fortress of the Bears - you did Raptor Center, Fortress of the Bear and then either a sea otter cruise or a bus tour to Sitka Marine Science Center.

I didn't see any handicap chair lift buses, but will ask the Shore Excursion folks later and see if they know. (They seem to know just about everything else!)

The gangway (at least today) was easy to navigate - only a slight incline - nothing like Anchorage or Kodiak.

There is a golf cart like cart that runs those with mobility issues from the gangway to the terminal where all the buses, tours and rentals wait. It can hold 4 people plus driver, if the 3 in the back seat don't mind being chummy. There is also a place to put walkers and assistive devices. It has a roof, but no sides, so it will be wet if it's raining. I tore the meniscus in my right knee shortly before we left and use a cane to slowly get around, so I made full use of any mobility assistance offered.

It was absolutely pouring rain today (remnants of Hurricane Lester), so my docking photos aren't particularly helpful, but here you go.

sitkadock.jpg

sitkadock2.jpg

Hi Tinknock,

My sister and I arranged for a private minivan with Sitka Tours - 4 hours cost us $240 which is certainly reasonable. It was not a handicapped van, but I believe they do have one or two. It has to be arranged through the Shore Excursion desk as Sitka Tours contracts with HAL and you can't book it directly with Sitka Tours.

With a private car, you can go anywhere you want - as our wonderful driver Carlos said, "I'm at your service". He took us everywhere we wanted and would have stopped at Fortress of the Bears and waited for us to complete a tour if we wanted. (No ship's tour did only the Fortress of the Bears - you did Raptor Center, Fortress of the Bear and then either a sea otter cruise or a bus tour to Sitka Marine Science Center.

I didn't see any handicap chair lift buses, but will ask the Shore Excursion folks later and see if they know. (They seem to know just about everything else!)

The gangway (at least today) was easy to navigate - only a slight incline - nothing like Anchorage or Kodiak.

There is a golf cart like cart that runs those with mobility issues from the gangway to the terminal where all the buses, tours and rentals wait. It can hold 4 people plus driver, if the 3 in the back seat don't mind being chummy. There is also a place to put walkers and assistive devices. It has a roof, but no sides, so it will be wet if it's raining. I tore the meniscus in my right knee shortly before we left and use a cane to slowly get around, so I made full use of any mobility assistance offered.

It was absolutely pouring rain today (remnants of Hurricane Lester), so my docking photos aren't particularly helpful, but here you go.

Thank you so much for getting back to me! The tour with the marine science center would probably be the one we take, since my past research revealed there aren't any boats that accommodate power chairs. We really want to see the bears the most.

Looking forward to you finding out more from the excursion desk. I did contact that company and found that they have lift buses, but I am wanting to hear what the excursion desk says. I appreciate you taking the time out to do this. It sounds like your knee didn't stop you much , but still a bummer to injure it before a cruise.

And thanks for the photos!

Edited by Tinknock50

I'm still staring at the pictures here and on the blog, trying to adjust to the idea of seeing the ship actually alongside a pier in Sitka! In those conditions, if it were still necessary to tender there, you'd have had to cancel your tour. BTW, your blog is awesome as usual!

Anyway, leave her in shipshape and in Bristol fashion for me, OK? :)

Re the wet floor in your stateroom, does your bathroom not have a bath?

Hi Erewhon,

We opted for a modified accessible cabin, which essentially means that we have a shower with a low lip for me to step over, rather than a bathtub which would be more problematic with my knee. As well as a small ramp to use to get out on the verandah.

As to the cucumber water, yes, there are cucumbers floating in it. (I've noticed that sometimes, and it seems random, the water has had blood oranges rather than cucumbers.) We've seen the Executive Chef and the Pinnacle Grill manager several times in the Neptune Lounge, making sure things are fresh and looking good.

Thank you so much for getting back to me! The tour with the marine science center would probably be the one we take, since my past research revealed there aren't any boats that accommodate power chairs. We really want to see the bears the most.

Looking forward to you finding out more from the excursion desk. I did contact that company and found that they have lift buses, but I am wanting to hear what the excursion desk says. I appreciate you taking the time out to do this. It sounds like your knee didn't stop you much , but still a bummer to injure it before a cruise.

Hi Sean,

I checked and yes they have lift buses, but you'll need to specify that you need one when you book the tour to make sure that it's available.

And you're welcome :)

I feel like I have already imposed enough, but I have a more specific question you could ask the shore excursion desk. I have been checking the HAL site and the Birds, Bears & Barnacles excursion is listed as having moderate activity, with possible steps. Could you check with them and see if this one is power chair accessible?

Thanks!

Hi Erewhon,

We opted for a modified accessible cabin, which essentially means that we have a shower with a low lip for me to step over, rather than a bathtub which would be more problematic with my knee. As well as a small ramp to use to get out on the verandah.

As to the cucumber water, yes, there are cucumbers floating in it. (I've noticed that sometimes, and it seems random, the water has had blood oranges rather than cucumbers.) We've seen the Executive Chef and the Pinnacle Grill manager several times in the Neptune Lounge, making sure things are fresh and looking good.

I appreciate all your helpful information.

Thank you.

We are looking forward to sailing on the Maasdam.

Hope your knee does not give you further problems.

Oh sorry....I missed your earlier post. Not sure I want to make you trudge back there and ask my last question on Birds,Bears and Barnacles. Besides it wouldn't kill me to wait until I board. :) And it is on a different ship, the Eurodam, so maybe the excursions will be different too.

Edited by Tinknock50

....about the medallion presentation. Things at HAL are changing so rapidly -- and randomly -- that I was worried that the medallions were going to become a thing of the past. I knew that I should be getting my copper (bronze?) on this voyage on Maasdam but was worried that it might not happen. Now I have a reasonable expectation that it will happen.

But it's sort of sad to see that they've changed the casting to match the new HAL logo (JMO). The medallions used to have the ghost of the Half Moon casted onto the hull of the NA to match the old logo.

Loving your blog!!

Edited by Av8rix

• 3 weeks later...

My sister Lisa-Ann (the second sister), has just scanned our "On Location" guides from our 14-day Alaska itinerary on the Maasdam. The Amsterdam is doing this itinerary next year (2017), but many of the menus and activities should be similar. I post the link in the hope that it's helpful to next season's Alaska cruisers:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/