Jazz cruise --only 1 formal night?

Lindsaycruiser

I read somewhere that on jazz cruises on QM2 that the formal nights are reduced to 1 night. Is this correct?

The dress code for the Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing (with Gregory Porter) last October was indeed reduced to one formal night. It was advertised beforehand in the U.S. as "One formal night with smart casual dress for all other evenings (jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them)". This alteration to the dress code was not well advertised in the UK. There were sufficient complaints about this modification to the usual dress code for Cunard to add a second optional formal night during that voyage.

The Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing (with Herbie Hancock) this past August was an eight night crossing with four formal nights. A similar alteration to the dress code was advertised beforehand for that crossing to allow "smart casual dress" with jeans permitted on the four non-formal nights. But the number of formal nights was not reduced for that Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing earlier this year.

I do not see any such statement about a "smart casual" dress code with jeans permitted for the upcoming Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing (with Gregory Porter and Dee Dee Bridgewater) in October. As best I can tell, that seven night Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing in October will have a normal dress code with three formal nights and four informal nights.

Regards,

John

I read somewhere that on jazz cruises on QM2 that the formal nights are reduced to 1 night. Is this correct?

No there were three on the August 1, Jazz Cruise and there was no discernible difference from any other cruise I could see. In fact, the only difference was that there were several jazz concerts in addition to the uusual sort of entertainments.

The dress code for the Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing (with Gregory Porter) last October was indeed reduced to one formal night. It was advertised beforehand in the U.S. as "One formal night with smart casual dress for all other evenings (jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them)". This alteration to the dress code was not well advertised in the UK. There were sufficient complaints about this modification to the usual dress code for Cunard to add a second optional formal night during that voyage.

The Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing (with Herbie Hancock) this past August was an eight night crossing with four formal nights. A similar alteration to the dress code was advertised beforehand for that crossing to allow "smart casual dress" with jeans permitted on the four non-formal nights. But the number of formal nights was not reduced for that Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing earlier this year.

I do not see any such statement about a "smart casual" dress code with jeans permitted for the upcoming Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing (with Gregory Porter and Dee Dee Bridgewater) in October. As best I can tell, that seven night Blue Note Jazz at Sea crossing in October will have a normal dress code with three formal nights and four informal nights.

Regards,

John

Thank you John. I for one am really hoping that the Jazz crossing Oct. 25 would limit the formal nights to just a single night.

No there were three on the August 1, Jazz Cruise and there was no discernible difference from any other cruise I could see. In fact, the only difference was that there were several jazz concerts in addition to the uusual sort of entertainments.

Thank you, but not what I wanted to hear.

Thank you John. I for one am really hoping that the Jazz crossing Oct. 25 would limit the formal nights to just a single night.
Hi Lindsaycruiser,

You could easily use the buffet and Carinthia Lounge on the other two formal nights, if you don't wish to "do" more than one formal evening on a crossing.

(Many Cunard regulars complained here, and on board, when the number of formal evenings have either been reduced on a "Jazz Crossing" in the past, or indeed at the suggestion that the dress-code could be relaxed on some crossings, simply because certain musicians are on board, to entertain the passengers, giving a "theme" to the voyage. Although some passengers will book because of any advertised theme (jazz, fashion, anniversary voyages etc), many regulars simply book a crossing and are disinterested in any theme; a traditional crossing of the pond on QM2 being the main reason to book).

Whether you use the buffet for two nights, or join in the formal evenings, I hope that you have a wonderful time on board QM2 in October :)

I thought we did four Formal nights this summer?

Anyhow, for the length of the cruise, it was a lot.

Even though it was advertized that jeans could be worn on the other nights, I didn't see them, and most people I spoke to, we're not aware of this exception.

It looked the same, dress wise, as our cruise eastbound.

Honestly, you an wear the same things over again and no one will notice or care. My daughter had two formal dresses and two dresses for the others, and wore them on our round trip of 16 nights.

I was intimidated reading the board in advance. She was totally appropriate without bringing a lot of clothes.

I wouldn't worry about this. With just a tiny amount of thought, you can be appropriate.

Edited by Jacqueline

Hi Lindsaycruiser,

You could easily use the buffet and Carinthia Lounge on the other two formal nights, if you don't wish to "do" more than one formal evening on a crossing.

(Many Cunard regulars complained here, and on board, when the number of formal evenings have either been reduced on a "Jazz Crossing" in the past, or indeed at the suggestion that the dress-code could be relaxed on some crossings, simply because certain musicians are on board, to entertain the passengers, giving a "theme" to the voyage. Although some passengers will book because of any advertised theme (jazz, fashion, anniversary voyages etc), many regulars simply book a crossing and are disinterested in any theme; a traditional crossing of the pond on QM2 being the main reason to book).

Whether you use the buffet for two nights, or join in the formal evenings, I hope that you have a wonderful time on board QM2 in October :)

Thank you. I was getting conflicting information about formal nights. I am getting myself worked up about the formal nights, so I am going to settle down and just concentrate on the wonderful opportunity I have to cross the Atlantic on the QM2.:)

Thank you. I was getting conflicting information about formal nights. I am getting myself worked up about the formal nights, so I am going to settle down and just concentrate on the wonderful opportunity I have to cross the Atlantic on the QM2.:)
Perfect, Lindsaycruiser, well said :) .

Don't stress; relax and enjoy an amazing experience.

I sincerely hope that QM2 works her magic on you (as she did on me), and that your crossing will be the first of many :)

Edited by pepperrn

Although some posters disagree here, I can tell you from experience, the formal night is no hurdle for men or women. For gents a dark jacket and matching dark slacks with a tie is all it takes and the only one ever checking is the maitre at the dining room, for the ladies, I really doubt any maitre would have the nerve to question anything other than something really outre like blue jeans or a mini skirt on formal night. I could be wrong but if a lady wants to wear a pants suit a la Frau Merkel style, I sincerely doubt the maitre would have the nerve to second guess her stylistic choice.

Even if there was only one formal night, dress codes are a minimum. You can simply ignore the "dumbing down" and dress according to tradition.

A friend recently had a crossing in PG. He remembers (as I do) the tradition on Atlantic crossings: in first class one dressed formally every night except the first and last night, which had a standard of jacket and tie for gentlemen. This was the tradition on all our crossings of the QE2, even when they were lengthened to six nights. Our first crossings on the QM2 - which were six nights - had that same tradition, except for the requirement of ties on the first and last nights.

Our friend wore his dinner jacket every night on the crossing except for the first and last. He admitted some people made a comment. I haven't dressed formally on informal mights, but if there were others who did I just might. Although ties are optional on informal nights, I am one of the usually large minority who do so. No-one has ever commented on that and, of course, none of us wearing our optional ties looks down our noses at those who don't. To each his own.:)

I could be wrong but if a lady wants to wear a pants suit a la Frau Merkel style, I sincerely doubt the maitre would have the nerve to second guess her stylistic choice.

Second guessing would be unthinkable, for Cunard welcomes outfits like Chancellor Merkel's on formal nights. "Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies." https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code.html