Zuiderdam skipping Halifax call

Wehwalt

Just got off this cruise, great trip, Prince Christian Sund was incredible. Seas and winds were pretty rough on Monday morning. Saw a verandah table flying off the ship, hopefully into the ocean. We were in the aft section, flying furniture may have come from an aft wrap around cabin, no dividers on those. Winds were near hurricane force for a time.

Just got off this cruise, great trip, Prince Christian Sund was incredible. Seas and winds were pretty rough on Monday morning. Saw a verandah table flying off the ship, hopefully into the ocean. We were in the aft section, flying furniture may have come from an aft wrap around cabin, no dividers on those. Winds were near hurricane force for a time.

I don't think it was our table but we were worried that our dividers might go airborne when they were flapping wildly and banging against the railing, held by only one hinge :eek:

imgsvr.ashx?cmd=4&appContextId=12704&eMediaID=HZ6Djrirc_T5Qw8zDaR3spVdsBokWI1L&hires=1&maxSize=600

After the first divider crashed on the verandah, I called Guest Relations about the 2nd one that was barely hanging on. I was told (correctly so) that it was unsafe for the crew to go on any ourside desk. I think our neighbors must have strenuously complained about the noise as when we returned later to the cabin, the second divider had been taken down and both carted away - presumably by crew and not the wind.

The staff did an outstanding job for those of us who stayed overnight. They credited us for the missed shore excursion in Halifax, and then arranged for a bus-water taxi-walking tour. We went to the water taxi pier via a bus, then took the water taxi to Battery Park and did a walking tour of lower Manhattan. Since we had been to Halifax twice before, and had never been to that part of Manhattan, it worked out better for us. As one guest said, we had the cheapest hotel in Manhattan.

We thought that the service on the Zuiderdam was about the best we have had on any of our 11 cruises.

That was nice that HAL provided a free excursion.

We have missed ports because of storms but never got a free excursion anywhere.

Dr. Adrian Cooper and Jon Sigurdsson were the Guest Lecturers, both were excellent. Many presentations were standing room only.

The Location Guide was Dorine and she gave wonderful previews on all our ports.

Dr Cooper was awful. Truly laughable. At times I thought John Cleese was on stage. Jon Sigurdsson was spectacular though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two VERY different reports. I knew food was subjective but lecturer reviews are usually somewhat similar. Msrigby, could you say elaborate on why Dr. Cooper was awful and laughable?

Thanks.

Where to start. Firstly his presentation was rote and obviously even the "humorous asides" we're scripted. He didn't appear to have updated his material for many years. For example, descriptions of NY theater ended at Pal Joey and made references to Marlon Brando as if the movie had been released last month. During his presentation on Canadian explorers, he referred to native Americans,aka indigenous people, as "Indians" and stated that the reason they "attacked" the French was because they had been given alcohol. No mention that their land was taken from them or treaties broken.

The only reason I even attended this lecture after hearing him previously was because he preceded Jon Sigurdsson and you needed to get there 30 minutes earlier in order to get a seat. Jon's presentations were so popular that they were simulcast in the Queens lounge. He customized each presentation with photos and music relevant to the subjects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums