Final payment date, will that open up more rooms?

jmollman

We are going on the cruise departing from San Juan in January and the final payments are due Oct 24th. Does that usually end up opening up cabins? We have some friends interested in going with but right now it is slim pickings! Would it be better for them to get an inside cabin and ask to be upgraded when something else opens up?

Welcome to Cruise Critics.

Yes, there are usually more cabins available after final payment. Keep in mind, in April Celebrity changed the final payment date from 90 days prior to 75 days prior for cruises booked April 2016 & later. I suggest you start checking at the 90 day mark.

Unless your friends are willing to sail in an inside cabin they should not book it with the hope of upgrading because if they cancel after final payment they will lose their deposit at minimum, and maybe more.

Large travel agencies often have group rates on rooms they have blocked. A couple days before final date, I'd check 3 or so large web based agencies and see what they have, or expect to have if anything. frineds can still get the left over insides after final date if something really doesn't open.

Left over San Juan departures often are handed to agencies in Puerto Rico to sell cheap.

After final is a 50/50 deal. You mention 'slim pickins' which usually means that a sailing has sold well, and agree with Mary Lou; "Unless your friends are willing to sail in an inside cabin they should not book it with the hope of upgrading because if they cancel after final payment they will lose their deposit at minimum, and maybe more."

My advice: Book your friends ASAP in whatever cabin they can tolerate. Monitor the available cabins every day, especially a few days before and up to the sail date for a cabin they can be moved to (at their expense and the prevailing rate).

The January & April Summit cruises are really selling well are are quite full because there are so many charters that people were bumped from during the other months.

We are going on the cruise departing from San Juan in January and the final payments are due Oct 24th. Does that usually end up opening up cabins? We have some friends interested in going with but right now it is slim pickings! Would it be better for them to get an inside cabin and ask to be upgraded when something else opens up?

Often it does. Some who have made just a deposit could opt out towards the final payment date.

Welcome to Cruise Critics.

Yes, there are usually more cabins available after final payment. Keep in mind, in April Celebrity changed the final payment date from 90 days prior to 75 days prior for cruises booked April 2016 & later. .

I thought it had changed from 75 days and was now 90 days prior to sailing :confused:?

In April Celebrity, effective 4/3/16 Celebrity changed the final payment date from 90 days to 75 days for all cruises booked after that date. Anyone who booked prior to the effective date is grandfathered in with the 75 day payment due date. This includes all sailings more than 4 nights.

From their website:

Effective 4/3/16 all sailings will include a new Cancellation Policy and Penalty Schedule for any new Individual Reservations or Group Shells.

Including Holiday Sailings & Cruisetours

Here's the link:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#1

I thought it had changed from 75 days and was now 90 days prior to sailing :confused:?

You are correct, I had it backwards. It is 90 days prior unless you are grandfathered in. Sorry I confused you.

Bottom line, it pays to keep checking availability if you want to upgrade or book an almost sold out cruise.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

My advice: Book your friends ASAP in whatever cabin they can tolerate. Monitor the available cabins every day, especially a few days before and up to the sail date for a cabin they can be moved to (at their expense and the prevailing rate).

The January & April Summit cruises are really selling well are are quite full because there are so many charters that people were bumped from during the other months.

Hmm, if they book something now and try to change after final payment, won't they be subject to cancellation fees and then still have to pay the going rate for the new cabin? I'd recommend telling your TA what type of cabin you want and they can notify you if one shows up after final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hmm, if they book something now and try to change after final payment, won't they be subject to cancellation fees and then still have to pay the going rate for the new cabin?

Not as long as the price of the new cabin they want is at least $1 more than the cabin they already have.

They would only have to pay the difference in price between what they have already paid and the price of the new cabin.

About a month before my last cruise I saw lots more cabins available in the Concierge grade than I had seen when I first booked (6 months before the cruise). I contacted my Celebrity agent and he changed me to a different room in the same category, one with a larger balcony.

This may not happen on every sailing but certainly on my sailing, more rooms became available after final payment date.