Brazil Visa Application Form

hpeabody

Am now preparing to apply for my visa for a day trip to Iguazu falls Brazilian side. I will be staying on the Argentina side 2 nights. I live in the LA Consulate jurisdiction. I see nothing on the website for the LA Consulate that involves a Letter of Credit being required (I am not conducting and business), nor anything about copies of my bank statement being needed (as is stated on the website of other jurisdictions.)

What is the experience of others who have gone through the LA Consulate?

I'm not fond of the idea of providing bank statements, and if that is required, I will likely make a different decision about visiting Brazil.

Am now preparing to apply for my visa for a day trip to Iguazu falls Brazilian side. I will be staying on the Argentina side 2 nights. I live in the LA Consulate jurisdiction. I see nothing on the website for the LA Consulate that involves a Letter of Credit being required (I am not conducting and business), nor anything about copies of my bank statement being needed (as is stated on the website of other jurisdictions.)

What is the experience of others who have gone through the LA Consulate?

I'm not fond of the idea of providing bank statements, and if that is required, I will likely make a different decision about visiting Brazil.

Each Brazilian Consulate had slightly different requirements.

The site for the Consulate in Los Angeles does not mention showing financial documents in order to get a visa.

This might help too if you do apply at the consulate in person - I just posted it on another thread yesterday:

We applied for our Brazilian visas yesterday at the Miami consulate. Here are my impressions and some suggestions if you live in Florida and are planning to apply in person:

• The on-line application is much more complex than the one we completed in 2009. Make sure you make copies of everything you attach on line (visa photo, signature, passport, drivers license, letter of credit, arrival/departure reservations, hotel reservations, etc.) and bring them with you. The consulate's on-line instructions were thorough and the step by step instruction on completing the on-line application were sufficient.
    • You also need to bring your completed on-line receipt signed and with photo attached, your passport (duh!), a $160 US Postal Money order (we saw 3 people turned away for not having that), and a signed letter requesting a visa. We also brought a Priority Mail envelope for returning the visas by mail since one trip of 1 hour each way is enough for us!
    • The consulate is open for visa processing from 2 pm to 4 pm but we heard the guard say he opens the doors at 1:30 so people don't need to wait outside in the heat. You are given a number denoting visa application or visa pickup. We arrived at 2 pm and had number 14 for visa applications. We waited a half hour and the interview took 10 minutes (5 minutes each). The staffer said they would mail us our passports in 14 days. We were done by 2:45.
    • There is little public parking nearby but the building has valet parking for $8 up to 4 hours.
    • We made a day of it and spent the morning and early afternoon at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens - a 100 year old house on Biscayne Bay (and only 4 miles from the consulate) with lovely gardens. I highly recommend it if you are driving some distance to get to the consulate!

When we were interviewed on October 12, the staffer and the official receipt said that our passports with the visas would be mailed on October 26. We were surprised to receive them in today's (the 20th) mail. They have a processed date of yesterday (the 19th) and, with our priority mail envelope, they were delivered today. As much as I dreaded the entire process, it went very smoothly.

• 1 month later...
The application form on this site:

https://formulario-mre.serpro.gov.br/

is a Federal Government of Brazil form, not a consular form, and all Brazilian Consulate sites should send applicants to that same site.

If Chicago is using something else for their example photos, that seems strange. (?????)

Anyway, you seem to have figured out something that works.

It does sound, though, that people are using their drivers license because it is not possible to move on through the application without filling in those "other document" fields, and then uploading a copy of it with all the other documents. That seems not to be correct, since the instructions above are emphatically not to upload the drivers license copy. (But logically, if they require a second document, then it should be uploaded.) Ah, Brazilian bureaucracy.......

Just finished the application today and have an appointment for the end of the month (LA). They specifically require a drivers license or utility bill to prove residence.

Just finished the application today and have an appointment for the end of the month (LA). They specifically require a drivers license or utility bill to prove residence.

A US state driver's license to prove residence within a US state within that Consulate's jurisdiction, not as an identity document, the equal of a federally issued and internationally recognized passport

And FYI for others reading, not all Brazilian Consulates require such a document to prove residence if the applicant appears in person, but only if an agency or another person appears

My cruise is February 12 from Rio with flights arriving the day prior. I have my appointment with the consulate in San Francisco on January 11. This was necessary because the 3rd part visa service could not get an appointment on my behalf. But it was easy for me to make one on my own. I have to fly there from my home city and flights were impossible until that date. I am also standing as a proxy for my husband for his appointment so we didn't both have to go. And I am I leaving a us postal service overnight express prepaid envelope so the approved visas can be sent back to me quickly. Whew. Fingers crossed this all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I had my appointment today at the LA Consulate. I got there early (expected to wait) and was called almost as soon as I sat down. The whole process took less than 7 minutes. I was told I can come back next Thursday or after to pick up my passport and visa.

Just got back from picking up my. USA at the LA Consulate. I was inside less than 5 minutes and all staff were friendly and helpful.

The only thing I wasn't sure about on the application materials was what they wanted for Contact Information on the hard copy Application/Receipt. (The one you glue your picture to.) I left it blank so I could complete it at the Consulate.

The information they wanted was contact information for who they should contact (in an emergency), not how to contact me. So I hope this helps someone going through the application process.

Really, it's not hard. Just follow the instructions.

We are using a service since there is no Embassy for 400 miles. In filling out contact information, there is no place to put a name so I thought they wanted my numbers. How did you handle that? Also the agency tells me to upload my picture and you indicated that you pasted yours on. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

We are using a service since there is no Embassy for 400 miles. In filling out contact information, there is no place to put a name so I thought they wanted my numbers. How did you handle that? Also the agency tells me to upload my picture and you indicated that you pasted yours on. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

I'm assuming you are addressing me. :)

I did upload everything- including the picture. It is required. If you haven't when you get to the Consulate, you get to go elsewhere to do it. Once you complete the online application, you receive a "receipt" that has your number on it. You have to print this out, glue a copy of your picture onto a specific part of the paper, and you take that with you with a copy of all the documents you uploaded- including your passport. It is on this "receipt" that there is a place to write in the NAME and PHONE NUMBER of your contact person. I don't know if this is just the LA Consulate that uses this form and process.

IIRC, there was a place in the actual application where you put in how they could contact YOU.

Maybe the service you are using could tell you.

Does your service use their own documents?

Edited by TiogaCruiser

There are two parts to the application process. One is uploading the required documents. The other is taking the originals (or hiring a visa service to take them for you) to the consulate for the interview.

For one, you upload the photo; for the other, you paste it on the paper form.

All the Brazilian Consulates worldwide use the same Brazilian federal government visa application form from the same website.

• 1 month later...

HELP! Has anyone had problems uploading their photos? The site gives me the option to crop and adjust so my picture fits into the "outline." But there seems to be not button to "accept" the photo and save it. (Hopefully there is an easy fix for this.)

• 2 weeks later...
There are two parts to the application process. One is uploading the required documents. The other is taking the originals (or hiring a visa service to take them for you) to the consulate for the interview.

For one, you upload the photo; for the other, you paste it on the paper form.

All the Brazilian Consulates worldwide use the same Brazilian federal government visa application form from the same website.

There is a thread on Viking Oceans claiming a "blanket visa" Anyone have any info on this?

If that thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2462147) is correct that is a radical departure. I would not only confirm it with Viking but also with your closest Brazilian Consulate because I have trouble trusting customer service reps of any cruise line. BTW the price of a Brazilian visa for US citizens is $160 if you 'do-it-yourself' and don't use a visa service.

Lots of bad info on that other thread.

There is not now, nor has there ever been (at least in the last 20 years or more) a blanket visa for Brazil that applied to a whole cruise ship full of passengers. Not even sure how that would work, given:

ONLY individual visas at U$160 (DIY).

Your individual passport has to have a visa stamp applied by the Brazilian Consulate (in advance of your trip).

You would not be allowed to board any aircraft (to meet the ship in Brazil, for example) without such a stamp.

Edited by VidaNaPraia