Royal wi-fi question

kjg46

We will be sailing on the Royal. aft cabin (735). Can anyone tell me what I can expect regarding Wi-Fi connectivity at the rear of the ship? Our other cruises on the grand class ships, I had to crack open the cabin door or sit out in the hall to connect to the internet. Please tell me Princess has improved this service.

Thanks

We spent 10 days on the Royal in the Caribbean last spring. We were near the aft section (D719) and it was never a problem connecting to the ship system via wi-fi. However, depending on time of day and number of users, service to the internet could be very slow. The intranet was always very fast.

We will be sailing on the Royal. aft cabin (735). Can anyone tell me what I can expect regarding Wi-Fi connectivity at the rear of the ship? Our other cruises on the grand class ships, I had to crack open the cabin door or sit out in the hall to connect to the internet. Please tell me Princess has improved this service.

Thanks

Edited by chinorider

Just back from a Barcelona to Rome cruise on Royal Princess. No wifi in the rooms.
Incorrect. There's WiFi available in all cabins. The doors are metal and well-insulated so that occasionally, you may have to crack it open to make a connection. When you try to connect and the location of your cabin can have an impact. The best times to connect are before 7:30am, between 6-8pm and late at night. I've found that on my iPhone, Chrome connects and stays connected better than Safari.

Did 21 days on the Royal in May on the med. like others have noted it seemed to vary day to day and may have been related to the volume of traffic. Most days the service in the room was okay by ship standards but occasionally I would have to wander into the hallways. We were mid ships on Baja.

Which deck will you be on? There's the cabin 735 on several decks.

We will be in Caribe (C735) Hope this helps Thanks for your comments. Seems like the Royal is similar to other Grand Class when it comes

to the Wi-Fi connections.

Thanks

Edited by kjg46

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got back today from a week on the Royal. There are wifi routers/hotspots in the halls of the cabin decks every 30 feet or so BUT IN SPITE OF THIS my room still did not have an adequate connection. My guess is that you are 50/50 on chances that your room will allow reasonable connectivity. The public spaces where generally better for wifi but just very slow reaching the web. It also varies depending on time of day. Given this level of support, charging .50 to .80 a minute is robbery - but they can make a buck AND discourage internet massive use which they can't support anyhow.

I do hope the technology improves. Wifi is just a matter of access points in rooms or on balconies which the cruise companies can fix with $$. Satellite to the internet for 3000-4000 people at sea is more problematic.

At home I'm up late reading newspapers, etc on my phone. On board I learned to cache things on apps like the nytimes app once a day, load up on kindle books, etc. I sensed trouble right away and bailed on the $100 package for 200 minutes and went minute to minute. I also used internet cafe's in ports which where common and more reliable and you could have a nice latte. Mostly I adjusted my attitude and expectations ....

I can recommend 'princess@sea' for intranet things (once you get to a good wifi location): texting with other people in your group, checking onboard activities and checking your running room tab. On shore we used Viber to communicate (or google chat) etc. from cafes/restaurants.