Book now or wait till after final payment deadline

taffy62

I'm looking at booking a Christmas cruise leaving around the 17 December. There's about four reasonable priced ones suitable with carnival and P & O as there are cheap compared to princess etc.

The best deal which I think ends on 19th sept is 10 nights guaranteed inside carnival legend with $500 obc for $1290

I've booked leave at work but have the option now to ...

Book this deal even though I prefer the spirit but that cruise is $500 more so I figure go legend and savings can go to drink spending.

Or hang on until final payment time is due on these cruises and see if there better bargains.

I could end up missing out on cruise if prices go up which doesn't really matter we will just do one in march instead.

I've never been in this position before where I could wait for last min bargains.

I'm looking at booking 3 twin cabins at the moment. There's heaps of these available on all four cruises as it looks like all the quad and triple have booked out for families.

Just not sure if these Christmas ones tend to go up in price rather than come down.

Also just wondering after the 19th what the new deals may be.

If they offer deals without the obc they would have to be around $790 to be comparable but I don't think they will come that cheap.

What do you guys think anyone know from previous years what the trend seems to be.

Thank you

Sent from my XT1068 using Forums mobile app

Edited by taffy62

It is always a gamble, but at this stage I would wait. The reason for this is that if there are plenty of cabins available on all of these cruises, the prices will drop. The only issue I can think of is getting the 3 cabins close to or next to each other. Good luck.

You have pretty much answered your own questions.

If its not a problem missing out and sailing in march, its a no brainer to wait , but the prices you are quoting seem good.

There's going to be some incredible bargains coming up,only you can judge what is a bargain and what suits you.

HAPPY CRUISIN.:):)

Yep that's the thing this carnival legend one seems like such a good deal compared to the others and it would be a family cruise with hubby daughter and parents where next year it will be hubby and I only.

I think I'll risk it and see what happens.

We can always do something else at Christmas if the cruise falls through

Did you book ? did you book ? I would of booked . My mother had been putting of going for years ,this Chrismas ask us about our cruise so went and got price . Call here about pasport . "o it ran out years ago and you said it left from Sydney and I don't like flying" :eek:

Trouble

Did you book ? did you book ? I would of booked . My mother had been putting of going for years ,this Chrismas ask us about our cruise so went and got price . Call here about pasport . "o it ran out years ago and you said it left from Sydney and I don't like flying" :eek:

Trouble

Sounds like they will be waiting and taking the risk, not that I think it is much of risk.

Edited by MicCanberra

No not booked yet going to wait see what next deal is as I reckon there may be another deal before final payment date then after that date something else.

Well hopefully anyway lol.

I'm hoping the spirit will come down to similar price as legend as I prefer that ship and my daughter not been on that one.

And they both going to islands for ten nights :)

No not booked yet going to wait see what next deal is as I reckon there may be another deal before final payment date then after that date something else.

Well hopefully anyway lol.

I'm hoping the spirit will come down to similar price as legend as I prefer that ship and my daughter not been on that one.

And they both going to islands for ten nights :)

Sounds like a good plan.

I think that pricing you quoted in the OP was pretty good. I think its a case of they got enough people on the ship they might hold their price until say couple weeks prior to sale date. Christmas cruises sell quite well.

I booked my Christmas Cruise a long time ago. paid a lot more but then again only one out of Melbourne except PO and I rather cruise with Princess. Much much nicer ship that the Jewel.

Anyway, insides and ocean views have been sold out on Princess for weeks now.

Good luck waiting in watching.

Bugger that cruise has gone up to $1500 for a twin and only $100 on board credit...

Still got two weeks until final payments have to be made though :)

Supply and demand.

It just goes to show there really is no such thing as a cruise fare......

the demand will set the price.

It could go down again and it could very well go up ....even more.

The other thing I have seen is that if all the insides and Ocean Views are sold out, they quote ridiculous prices for them and discount the balconies.:rolleyes:

One year the balconies were cheaper than an inside cabin.

Got hold on cabin until 27th sept when full payment is required.

price came down to $1169.03 with $500 obc for ten nights.

Decisions have to consider flights too if I leave it too long they could go up.

So may have to bite the bullet.

I think its a good deal though especially for Christmas :)

Edited by taffy62

Got hold on cabin until 27th sept when full payment is required.

price came down to $1169.03 with $500 obc for ten nights.

Decisions have to consider flights too if I leave it too long they could go up.

So may have to bite the bullet.

I think its a good deal though especially for Christmas :)

Good deal, think it might be wise to get you air tickets now. Tiger is having a sale.

Ended up booking three cabins :)

Couldn't believe it I just checked my booking and I have been allocated the cabins already!

We got three together on deck 8

They 4E rated cabins just a bit concerned they under the bar on serenity deck and read that we may hear chairs scraping around ah well nothing earplugs or few beverages won't fix I suppose lol

What do you mean re fare?

I got cabins on deck 8 in the green section.

I hope they be ok.

Re-fare is when they let you take advantage of price drops (normally only up to the 75 day prior mark) as an example my cruise this December is with Princess, I have now had 6 booking numbers, so I've been back to them five times to say, there is a better offer than I have. All up I'm about $900 better off than when I first booked and $700 bet than if I booked now.

Sure there is a possibility that in the next two months there will be a better deal on offer, but cabin location is important to us (mid ship, sandwich deck) so getting in, booking early to get what we want, watching prices and benefits closely for better deals is the way we like to go.

So would I be able to change cabins I booked the cheapest inside guarantee.

I think they will be OK at least we're all in the same section and close to rear lifts.

Last time I got cabin on deck 1 it was mud ship and really good.

Think we may feel more movement being high up and at back of ship.

I don't mind that just concerned I'll hear chairs being dragged around when I'm trying to sleep.

So after the 75 day mark does that mean if you see the cruise cheaper you can't change to cheaper price?

Also to get cheaper prices after booking do you have to book with cruise line direct.

I cant imagine who I booked with changing my price :(

So would I be able to change cabins I booked the cheapest inside guarantee.

I think they will be OK at least we're all in the same section and close to rear lifts.

Last time I got cabin on deck 1 it was mud ship and really good.

Think we may feel more movement being high up and at back of ship.

I don't mind that just concerned I'll hear chairs being dragged around when I'm trying to sleep.

So after the 75 day mark does that mean if you see the cruise cheaper you can't change to cheaper price?

Also to get cheaper prices after booking do you have to book with cruise line direct.

I cant imagine who I booked with changing my price :(

Bear in mind I'm not a P&O regular, so keep in mind my constant motto "Can't hurt to ask"

However generally

If you want to change cabins you will pay the going rate for the new cabin but Can't hurt to ask"

Certainly mid ship will give the least motion, think of a see saw more movement at the ends than in the middle.

High or low can be a whole different kettle of fish, because low the waves look bigger and the horizon can appear to move more, because the lower you are the closer the horizon is, but higher the actual movement is greater, so it depends on what your actual triggers are. Now the beautiful Mrs Gut has a neurological condition and fire and aft can trigger an attack, but high low doesn't really bother her.

Deck noise like chairs is one reason why I always look for a cabin with cabins above and below, another is usually I can get one half way between the two main public areas, same up as down.

In my experience you usually won't be able to take advantage if price fluctuations after final payment date, I am pretty sure it was the same in P&O