Bombs in Manhattan

babs135

When there is a fresh atrocity in Europe our cousins across the Pond are quick to flood CC with comments as to the safety of sailing here.

With the two explosions in New York (along with other incidents) I note the huge amount of similar comments from us Brits sailing to the U.S.!!!

(Chickened out posting in the general forum as some Americans might not pick up on the irony of my point and 'flame' me):eek:

Seriously though, I can understand some people's worries, but if we cancel then they have won and I refuse to become a prisoner in my own home. Roll on December, can't wait.

Agree totally. (However, I must confess that after the Paris attacks I briefly considered if we should adjust our plans for London last May. VERY briefly - like for about 2 seconds. But I DID consider it.)

I get nervous if I don't get the NY energy (and catch the latest shows) every year or so. I've booked our hotel and just picked up our first theatre tickets (Bette Midler in Hello Dolly) for next May.

Manhattan - we'll be back again in eight months!

Broadening horizons by travel and meeting people from different situations is the best way to fight terrorism and the small mindedness that lets it fester. (In my opinion)

Edited by MarkBearSF

I totally agree. Not traveling allows terrorists to win! This article from the Washington Post puts the likelihood of being a victim of a terrorist attack in perspective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/23/youre-more-likely-to-be-fatally-crushed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/

This does not minimize the horror of these attacks, nor does it diminish the victims who were injured or killed.

Ricki

I do agree to some extent but the bombing and subsequent second finding and all the third world leaders from the US and other places in NYC for the week made it impossible for me to conduct the business I had planned in NYC today. Hard to get to art galleries when numerous entire blocks in NYC are still cut off with yellow police tape and the rest of the entire city under block by block vehicle stoppage for a crowd of police to look into each vehicle. So yes such things do affect economies particularly when heads of state are in denial of the total problem.

I do agree to some extent but the bombing and subsequent second finding and all the third world leaders from the US and other places in NYC for the week made it impossible for me to conduct the business I had planned in NYC today. Hard to get to art galleries when numerous entire blocks in NYC are still cut off with yellow police tape and the rest of the entire city under block by block vehicle stoppage for a crowd of police to look into each vehicle. So yes such things do affect economies particularly when heads of state are in denial of the total problem.

To be frank, it doesn't take a bomb to totally screw up midtown traffic, especially during events on the UN calendar and presidential visits. Hang-ups happen. Weather happens. Strikes happen. Hopefully these incidents don't become frequent enough to warrant specific alternative plans - but in any event, stuff happens.

...and in a worst case scenario, when travelling I always remember - The worse the experience, the better the story afterward!

Mark

To be frank, it doesn't take a bomb to totally screw up midtown traffic, especially during events on the UN calendar and presidential visits. Hang-ups happen. Weather happens. Strikes happen. Hopefully these incidents don't become frequent enough to warrant specific alternative plans - but in any event, stuff happens.

...and in a worst case scenario, when travelling I always remember - The worse the experience, the better the story afterward!

Mark

I was seeing Hamilton in the theater district Saturday night during the bombing. I didn't even realize what had happened (I usually don't read news while traveling--too depressing). Had no problem getting to JFK yesterday, although Uber kicked into surge pricing. (First world problems.)

It was my first time in NYC, and while I found Times Square and the traffic overwhelming, I wouldn't hesitate to go back, and I'm glad now to have a feeling for the city layout--I was previously too intimidated to book cruises out of Manhattan.

I was seeing Hamilton in the theater district Saturday night during the bombing. I didn't even realize what had happened (I usually don't read news while traveling--too depressing). Had no problem getting to JFK yesterday, although Uber kicked into surge pricing. (First world problems.)

It was my first time in NYC, and while I found Times Square and the traffic overwhelming, I wouldn't hesitate to go back, and I'm glad now to have a feeling for the city layout--I was previously too intimidated to book cruises out of Manhattan.

SO HAPPY you had a great time. Actually, Manhattan is EASY. Most of it has an easy to understand grid, the subway is extensive, safe, and runs 24 hours.

And I'm so happy you got to see Hamilton. Hopefully you enjoyed it as much as we did about a year ago (before things got REALLY crazy ticket-wise). Oh, and check out Dial7 (800 777-7777) or Carmel (866 666-6666) for better towncar transportation to/from the airports on your next visit.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Thanks, Mark. We actually used Carmel (because I'd read about them on CC) on the way in, but we were unsure when we should leave Manhattan for the flight home (we got lots of different answers), so I was hesitant to book the return trip for a specific time in case we got jumpy and wanted to leave earlier. We got lucky with our Uber back--very nice guy, very clean vehicle.

We tried the subway once but even though I'm reasonably smart and had maps and apps, we couldn't crack the code. I think there were also strange changes going on because of the UN. We tried to get to the Natural History museum on a "C" train and ended up in, I believe, Harlem. :) (Express vs local?) Maybe I'll figure it out next time. We didn't have much time on this trip and didn't want to lose more time on more mistakes.

Edited by AdoraBelle

..We tried to get to the Natural History museum on a "C" train and ended up in, I believe, Harlem. :) (Express vs local?) Maybe I'll figure it out next time. We didn't have much time on this trip and didn't want to lose more time on more mistakes.

Ahh yes. That's exactly what happened. You took the A (express) train. I remember on our first visit 20 years ago. We were in town for 8 days and by the sixth day I was feeling very confident (and very hung over from the night before). Hubris'll get you. We boarded an A train in Chelsea and after there was a large group exiting at 57th St, I wondered if we made a mistake. Yeah - we wound up with an express to 125th St. In Harlem. (In retrospect, we should've surfaced) So, we crossed over to the other side and took a local back to the AMNH.

You're not alone!

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

I totally agree. Not traveling allows terrorists to win! This article from the Washington Post puts the likelihood of being a victim of a terrorist attack in perspective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/23/youre-more-likely-to-be-fatally-crushed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/

This does not minimize the horror of these attacks, nor does it diminish the victims who were injured or killed.

Ricki

True. I would not allow them to run our lives.

Our outlook on this sort of stuff is conditioned by the news we are fed and how we are encouraged to interpret it. In reality, you were much more likely to get blown up in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. when the IRA was up to it's tricks (and half the culprits were safely living the high life in New York or Boston as "political refugees") than ever you are today with a few bewhiskered, misguided malcontents fantasizing about an early entry to paradise.

Ditto for New York - I'd much rather take the walk through Hell's Kitchen from Pier 84 to Times Square today than 30 years ago when I'd have been taking my life in my hands just by being there. Allegedly.

You're more likely to die choking on a fish bone at dinner on an Atlantic crossing than you are of getting involved in a terrorist incident when you arrive at the other side. Carry on as normal, nothing to worry about here.

When there is a fresh atrocity in Europe our cousins across the Pond are quick to flood CC with comments as to the safety of sailing here.

With the two explosions in New York (along with other incidents) I note the huge amount of similar comments from us Brits sailing to the U.S.!!!

(Chickened out posting in the general forum as some Americans might not pick up on the irony of my point and 'flame' me):eek:

Seriously though, I can understand some people's worries, but if we cancel then they have won and I refuse to become a prisoner in my own home. Roll on December, can't wait.

This American certainly won't flame you, despite your obvious dig at Americans incorporated in your response regarding a terrorist bombing. Nevertheless, I believe your comments directed toward Americans are inappropriate. Your comments are well noted, as are nonexistent expressions of solidarity and concern for those injured.

Irony, indeed.

Salacia

Edited to add: Just my personal opinion, but I think the title of this thread "bombs in Manhattan" sounds more like a tabloid headline that a thread topic for this forum. Better headline for the Broadway Fall theatre review.

Edited by Salacia

This American certainly won't flame you, despite your obvious dig at Americans incorporated in your response regarding a terrorist bombing. Nevertheless, I believe your comments directed toward Americans are inappropriate. Your comments are well noted, as are nonexistent expressions of solidarity and concern for those injured.

Irony, indeed.

Salacia

Edited to add: Just my personal opinion, but I think the title of this thread "bombs in Manhattan" sounds more like a tabloid headline that a thread topic for this forum. Better headline for the Broadway Fall theatre review.

I wasn't really having 'a dig' at Americans (well, perhaps just a little!) it just seems to me that the minute there is a problem from something as serious as terrorist atrocities to NCL changing policies and not allowing water to be brought onboard the forums are full of people saying they are seriously considering cancelling their trip.

I would imagine that the vast majority of subscribers to CC are American (would love to have the stats) so any similar comments from us Brits (and I'm sure there are some) tend to get lost amongst the many.

I really wasn't intending to offend anyone, but merely to pass an observation and a purely personal one at that. Next time I start a thread I will think of a better heading though - maybe it was a little dramatic.

Anyway, We will be spending 5 nights in New York in December and DH and I can't wait. Busy making a list of things we want to see and if there is are any plays on Broadway that have 'bombed' I will make sure to avoid them :D:D

Babs135

I think us Brits are far more resilient when there has been a terrorist attack in Europe. What I never understand is why Americans are so concerned about a terrorist attack when they live in a far more violent country than anywhere in Europe. Just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, having lived through being bombed in London by the IRA and in Spain by ETA, I would never cancel a visit anywhere because there had been a terrorist attack. It can happen any place at any time, you just never know, so carry on with your life and plans.

This American certainly won't flame you, despite your obvious dig at Americans incorporated in your response regarding a terrorist bombing. Nevertheless, I believe your comments directed toward Americans are inappropriate. Your comments are well noted, as are nonexistent expressions of solidarity and concern for those injured. .

No flame, but definitely some smoke there, methinks. I can't bring myself to comment on Lou's comments, they made my eyeballs fizz.

To put it all in context, there's no surprise that we in Europe typically have a very different view about terrorism than our friends across the water. Maybe that's because we've been exposed to it for so much longer and we've had so much more of it than the US has seen.

The following image is from data produced by the truly excellent University of Maryland Globall Terrorism Database and was part of a very good article in the UK Economist which I would recommend to anyone. Apologies for the size of the image, I couldn't shrink it. The bottom line is that Europe is safer than it has been for many years and the US view is completely out of kilter with reality.

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21706250-people-are-surprisingly-good-coping-repeated-terrorist-attacks-america-and

http://www.start.umd.edu/about/about-start

Image1_zpsqar0lzvo.jpgImage1_zpsqar0lzvo.jpg.htmlImage1_zpsqar0lzvo.jpg

a>

Image1_zpsqar0lzvo.jpgImage1_zpsqar0lzvo.jpg.html

Salacia

Thank you. Salacia. As an American, I totally agree with you. On board the QM2 I have witnessed many digs at Americans. But I always refrain from responding to these inappropriate comments. I could say many things but always hold back and try to enjoy myself.

Edited by sand dollar26