Kids Charging to S&S and Gift Cards Question

pyroguy

Hi everyone, I haven't seen this answered, so I thought I would ask to see if anyone would know or would have had experience with it.

It's been a while since we took the kids on a cruise, but in the past when we have linked a CC to our S&S account, we have had the option of NOT allowing the kids to charge to that account with their ship cards. We have always blocked their cards from charging to our main S&S account - only allowing my wife and I charging privileges on our account.

We are taking them again in May, and this time they are a little older - and we want to give them some ability to purchase for themselves while on the ship. We thought we would maybe give them Carnival Gift cards for Christmas.

So, the question is:

1. Can we apply a gift card to a specific S&S card, even if it's "shut off" from charging to our credit card?

1b. If so, when the cruise is over and they haven't maybe spent all of their money they applied to their S&S account, can the remainder be refunded? (How is it refunded?)

2. Is there a better way to do it? Specifically, I'm thinking if we scrap the gift card idea, and just go ahead and allow them to charge to our CC via their S&S card, but have controls on them so they can only charge up to a daily limit (say maybe $20 per day per kid). Does anyone know if that's possible?

It's been a while since we took kids, so I honestly don't remember all the boxes checked, etc and we're not ready to do all of our account stuff online yet...so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

To get the leftover money back, they can go to a Kiosk or to Guest Services. If they funded their account with gift cards, the leftover might go back as a gift card.

Sometimes things are easier with cash. Could give the the gift card and cash.

Just preload their accounts with cash and shut off charging. Tell them that is what they have for the week. If they spend it all at once too bad, they won't get more. Whatever they have left at the end of the week they can cash out and keep.

I like that answer. We may do that.

The question though is that IF we shut off their accounts from charging, can we even load them up with cash? They are under our same Booking Number.

The question though is that IF we shut off their accounts from charging, can we even load them up with cash? They are under our same Booking Number.

No I think you are right I don't think they'd be able to charge, been too long since I've done it. Maybe someone that's set up a cash one recently will know. If you prepay cash can they go "into debt" if there's not CC linked to their name? I think it would stop their charging when they ran out of money but definitely would want to verify that.

You'd just have to set theirs up as cash only and set your wifes up with your CC. When you set up the accounts and put the CC in it asks you what people you want linked to the card. So it's easy to keep the kids accounts off the credit card.

we bought gift cards for each of our kids thinking they'd be able to use them individually throughout the week as their spending money but it didn't work that way. The gift cards can't be used by themselves, they have to be applied to a sign and sail account as a credit and I was told (Nov. '15, maybe it's changed since then) that there was no way to set a spending limit to an individual.

My concern wasn't whether or not our kids would exceed the amount we'd allowed them but that we might incur lots of charges in the event that one of them lost their S&S card.

I don't think you can. The only options I am aware of are cash or credit card, and who is allowed to charge to the account. In order to put them on a cash basis, you would need to open a separate account. Each expense account needs an account owner. Each owner has to be at least 18, and has to be authorized on the account. I'm not sure you can open two accounts at once.

You might be able to put one in your name and one in your wife's, but I still don't think you could ration out by child. If one kid over spends, they all suffer. Might not be the best idea.

We cruised last week. I loaded several gift cards on the account and set a limit on each kids card. DD is ten so I carried her card with me most of the time and accidentally used hers. It was pretty easy to increase her limit at the kiosk after I realized that I had spent "her" money. There was nothing left over from the gift cards so I'm not sure how that would get spent.

I don't think you can. The only options I am aware of are cash or credit card, and who is allowed to charge to the account. In order to put them on a cash basis, you would need to open a separate account. Each expense account needs an account owner. Each owner has to be at least 18, and has to be authorized on the account. I'm not sure you can open two accounts at once.

You might be able to put one in your name and one in your wife's, but I still don't think you could ration out by child. If one kid over spends, they all suffer. Might not be the best idea.

But if you open two separate acts, to which acct would the gratuities be added?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My kids are 10 & 12 and my Mom always buys them a gift card each when we cruise. First day when I go to Guest Services to have it applied it ends up being applied to our "family account" (me, my husband, and the 2 kids) BUT I can say to guest services "Child A has a $50 sign and sail limit and Child B has a $50 sign and sail limit".

Once the kids reach that limit, they can't spend anymore. Sometimes, they want to dig into their allowance money so I go back to Guest services and do it again. If they don't use it, I am not charged for it.

Hope this helps and makes sense:)

Put everyone on the same account, and use either Guest Services or one of the kiosks to set limits as you choose. You can adjust those limits at any time. It worked very well with my two teens on our last cruise. it was the first time I had allowed either one charging privileges.

In March when we cruised on the Imagination son was 12 and had no charging privileges. We went to guest services for daughter 17 armed with her $50 cash. We placed it on her card (I had to sign it was ok) then when she ran out placed another $20 no problems and she could only charge what we allowed. Each of the kids had their gratuities automatically added to "their" account which was tied to ours if that makes sense? We had no issues. I hope this helps

direct from CCL's website

Yes, you can set up a separate Sail & Sign card for your children or others in your group to use.

If this is linked to your credit card/debit card account, you are responsible for paying this at the end of your cruise.

It is possible to set a spend limit on all Sail & Sign cards linked to your account.

We recommend this if you are travelling with children/others using your account. You can set the limit up at the Cash Desk or Kiosks.

You have already gotten lots of good advice. I just wanted to add that there is one small annoying detail. If you set a limit for spending and then your child decides to add more money at the kiosk, you still have to go down and raise thier limit before they can spend that money. Just about everything can be done at the kiosk, which is very nice.