Mobility scooter information, please!

SandyMc

I will be taking my Lexis Light on my NCL cruise next month for the first time. As a result of the great conversations in this thread, I think I will be fine on the ship. My main question is: When you ride your scooter to the airplane gate and give it to the crew to stow, do you put it in freestyle mode and break it down for them? :confused:

I will be taking my Lexis Light on my NCL cruise next month for the first time. As a result of the great conversations in this thread, I think I will be fine on the ship. My main question is: When you ride your scooter to the airplane gate and give it to the crew to stow, do you put it in freestyle mode and break it down for them? :confused:

They'll probably ask you to do that. They don't want liability for one of the staff not collapsing the scooter properly.Why not check the scooter and ask the airline for a wheelchair at both ends ?

Most the helpers at the airports know about the “free wheel”. However, I show them where it is and put a lot of emphasis on resetting the free wheel when done pushing. I also show them how to put the tiller and seat down, but do not disassemble. I keep the key.

Airlines and airports can differ. When I get to the gate, I always let them know they can either take the scooter immediately and provide me a wheelchair or I'll ride the scooter to the plane and they can take it there. Which ever they prefer. Doing it this way, the scooter will be delivered to you at your arrival gate. However, you will be the last one off the plane.

Recently the airlines have been asking passengers to notify the airlines if they are transporting a scooter or wheelchair. Some have suggested there is limited space. Most airlines will ask size, weight and battery type. Some airlines have a on line form or a place to call.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Thanks for the replies! I'm not worried about putting it in freestyle mode and explaining about turning that off after being stowed. How do you get the information to the luggage crew on arrival at your destination to again put in freestyle? Just trying to anticipate things that could go wrong!

Thanks again!!

I fully understand your concern. About seven or eight years ago, I had an instruction tag hanging on the handle bar and one attached to the back of the seat. I have not worried about it for about four or five years. All the luggage handlers know how to handle scooters now. Usually they just verify where the free wheel release is out of courtesy.

Just make sure you notify the airlines you are traveling with your scooter asap.

Have a great cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

I use a Pride Gogo Elite 3 wheel model. I usually ride to the gate and then ask what the ramp staff would like as far as instruction goes. Usually they ask to set it in freewheel and fold seat and tiller down as flat as possible. I take the key with me. As a precaution I do have my pho Hope this helps,ne number all over it just in case. In nine years of traveling with it it's suffered from losing the trim panels and one cracked spot on the battery shell (not the battery). Hope this helps.

Happy Cruising!

It is lithium - the battery it came with were just too heavy! Very happy with the lithium battery - longer life and much lighter - having to carry it on board a small price to pay for better battery. Thanks for letting me know, Betty.

Be sure to check about the lithium battery with your airline, and try to get everything in writing.

The IATA regulations about lithium batteries in planes changed in 1 April this year, and some ground staff are still not completely au fait with them.

ALL lithium batteries are including in the regulations - everything from mobile phones and up. They are particularly concerned about the larger batteries, including those in wheelchairs and scooters.

One of the regulations says that they must not be fully charged, in fact there is a maximum charge allowable. Please check it all out with your airline!

My husband has a Lexis Light and always drives it up to the gate, folds it up and takes the lithium battery onboard with him. Some of the international airports insist you check it though, but not domestic ones.

We have only had trouble with a battery (non-lithium) once on Delta on a domestic flight when they insisted it had to be put in the hold. Of course they lost it. Fortunately it was on the way home, but it was still annoying. Now I believe that lithium batteries have to go in the cabin with you. Their batteries are marked TSA approved.

We leave this week on our 25th trip with the scooter.

Kate

We have a Enhance Mobility Transformer Scooter and it folds with push of a button. You fold the seat over unlock and push the steering column down and it carries, 56 lb and easy to pull the handle up and drag it like luggage. COPA air said we couldn't even take it but their site says we can. It is also airline friendly and fully compliant and within regulations for Lithium Ion dry cell battery.

Edited by WupperAV

We have a Enhance Mobility Transformer Scooter and it folds with push of a button. You fold the seat over unlock and push the steering column down and it carries, 56 lb and easy to pull the handle up and drag it like luggage. COPA air said we couldn't even take it but their site says we can. It is also airline friendly and fully compliant and within regulations for Lithium Ion dry cell battery.

I am wondering about your battery? You say it is within regulations for Lithium Ion dry cell battery. Can you tell me the voltage or watts please? I have a Travelscoot and I am finding it getting a little more difficult to travel with the lithium battery (China is a real problem). My battery is about 270 watts (it is 24V, 11.25 Ah Li-Ion.

Wendy

24V 10.5Ah. http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_CA/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories/lithium-batteries.html

found this

• Items prohibited to carry

The blunt, edge tools and similar items other than checked knives and tools, dry ice, electrically powered wheelchairs, service dogs (e.g. guide dogs, hearing dogs and assistance dogs, etc.), alcoholic drinks, guns and ammunition used for hunting and sports and large musical instruments, etc. cannot be transported until the approval of China Eastern Airlines is obtained, and for more information, please log on to our website or call 95530 for consultation.

•Items not allowed to be carried as checked baggage or in baggage:

The breakable, vulnerable and perishable items and lithium batteries cannot be transported as checked bagged or put into baggage. The lithium ion batteries or battery pack of more than 100Wh but less than 160Wh can be carried as non-checked baggage only; the lithium batteries of over 160Wh are strictly forbidden to be carried. Every passenger only can carry 2 lithium batteries or above battery packs and take preventive measures compliant with the requirements for safe transport of CAAC and China Eastern Airlines. Each standby battery of portable electronic devices must be properly protected to avoid short circuit (Placed in its original retail package, or for insulated electrodes, the exposed electrodes are covered with tape, or each battery is put into a single plastic bag or protection box). Seems like your's qualifies. Be sure to carry copys of all Regs and if in China in Mandarin.Talk to the airline, get everything in writing and attach a copy to the chair.

Edited by WupperAV