Why do Studios cost more than Insides, and why do people book them instead?

Aren't insides substantially larger than studios? They're often much cheaper, too.

Why would anyone opt for a studio over an inside, if the former costs more? The snacks in the lounge couldn't be that good, and they only have a lounge because the rooms are so small all you can do is lie down to sleep.

Aren't insides substantially larger than studios? They're often much cheaper, too.

Why would anyone opt for a studio over an inside, if the former costs more? The snacks in the lounge couldn't be that good, and they only have a lounge because the rooms are so small all you can do is lie down to sleep.

Are you comparing correctly? Double the cost of the inside if you are traveling solo.

I booked a studio for $749 and the inside was listed for $549 but when you add in the solo supplement, the inside room doubles to $1098 and no studio lounge. Now I have seen on some cruises where the price of the studio is more than an inside or balcony even with the solo supplement but not on the cruise I'm booked on unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The inside aren't always priced double. An inside on the Breakaway leaving for Bermuda this weekend is $561 TOTAL for a solo traveler...has been for weeks.

I guess if you're booking months/years ahead the studios are cheaper, but otherwise I can't imagine why people don't just wait till the prices come down. Unless it's peak busy season, it happens every time for the insides...especially on the megaships.

Are you comparing correctly? Double the cost of the inside if you are traveling solo.

That's very often not the case, especially on big ships. Unless it's Spring Break or peak summer, I've never seen an NCL megaship sailing w/o solo cruiser discounts, often with oceanviews or balconies for less than those claustrophobic pod people studios.

As others have said it's about the solo supplement. My family surprised me with a solo cruise in a studio and about 2 weeks beforehand the prices for balconies were less than a studio. I said I would wait next time but that was off season - kind of like October on the Breakaway.

For size, I prefer the studio to an inside - better layout & feels bigger. One night I had 6 people come to my studio and there was no space issue.

And forget the snacks - it's all about the coffee. You can get lattes or espressos no charge in the lounge. ;)

Just plain ignernce.

Once you get inside 30-60 days Inside Cabins are usually a lot less expensive than the smaller studio cabins. If a ship is not filling the Inside Cabins inside 30 days sometimes they will drop the Single Supplement and Insides will be much cheaper the the Studios.

The main reason is probably the single suppliment which is applied to a solo booking an inside cabin. Unless the single suppliment is waived, it is cheaper for a solo to book a studio.

Not really. I cruise solo and I've yet to see a lower price on a Studio than an Inside Cabin.

Good question. Generally a studio is going to be the cheapest option for a solo traveler on ships that have them. Sometimes, especially when a cruise is past the final payment date and prices have dropped, an inside will be priced lower than a studio. The problem for most folks is that they don't monitor the price after they book, so the demand doesn't shift to the lower priced interior. Generally an inside is about 25% larger than a studio. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The inside aren't always priced double. An inside on the Breakaway leaving for Bermuda this weekend is $561 TOTAL for a solo traveler...has been for weeks.

I guess if you're booking months/years ahead the studios are cheaper, but otherwise I can't imagine why people don't just wait till the prices come down. Unless it's peak busy season, it happens every time for the insides...especially on the megaships.

For the 9/10 sailing of the Escape I paid $279 for a Solo Inside Cabin while the Studios were around $800-$900.

It's all about supply and demand.

For the 9/10 sailing of the Escape I paid $279 for a Solo Inside Cabin while the Studios were around $800-$900.

Exactly!! They will discount cabins they think will sell to make room for more passengers in more cabins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a hell of a deal. that's one night in a hotel in many places

Oh, it gets better...

The total with pre-paid gratuities was $504.01, so with the Cruise Next promotion of using two certificates I only paid $4.01 out of pocket.

Now...Those two certificates I used I bought on my last NCL cruise as a Buy 1/Get 1 free promotion. As a result, my real cost for the solo cabin, taxes, fees and gratuity was $254.01.

And my onboard account at the end of the cruise was $0.00.

I have seen on some bookings a studio actually coming out at a higher price than booking an inside cabin for one person. I do know how to fully go through the booking and see the total due.

I have also seen an inside only like $200 more, personally I would pay the slight extra cost and take an inside.

If NCL was truly providing no supplement then the price of the studio should be equal to the price of one person. For instance if an inside is $499 PP, so two people would be $998, the studio will be $749 - so really if there was no supplement it should only be $499, but it isn't. They are still charging a higher premium for a single person, than the true price of just a single person, when you have two in a cabin. They are still getting about 50% more and on some sailings they are getting a lot more.

I have seen on some bookings a studio actually coming out at a higher price than booking an inside cabin for one person. I do know how to fully go through the booking and see the total due.

I have also seen an inside only like $200 more, personally I would pay the slight extra cost and take an inside.

If NCL was truly providing no supplement then the price of the studio should be equal to the price of one person. For instance if an inside is $499 PP, so two people would be $998, the studio will be $749 - so really if there was no supplement it should only be $499, but it isn't. They are still charging a higher premium for a single person, than the true price of just a single person, when you have two in a cabin. They are still getting about 50% more and on some sailings they are getting a lot more.

Just do a faux booking at ncl.com for 1 Guest on any of the ships with Studio Cabins and you will see a single Inside Cabin is almost always lower than a Single Studio.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Bingo. This is it right here. Especially if you are looking inside final payment time as quantities of certain rooms become limited.

Just do a faux booking at ncl.com for 1 Guest on any of the ships with Studio Cabins and you will see a single Inside Cabin is almost always lower than a Single Studio.

Almost always lower when you are talking about within final payment window. If you look at the Aways or Escape for next summer, the rates for insides are significantly higher than studio - sometimes $1000 more.

Because the studio thing was one of the greatest marketing stunts NCL did in the last years. Just read the solo cruisers board on here. Most people do indeed believe the "first accommodation for solo travellers, no single supplement, yada yada yada" claims.

When the Epic first came out, the studios were marketed for double occupancy and it did a massive bellyflop. It took them a while to figure out people are actually dumb enough to believe it was some sort of Haven for Solos and they were in some sort of "Club" environment.

Look at the floor plan of a studio & an inside - you can do an internet search & should see them together. The layout of the studio makes it roomier than an inside.

Why look at a picture when I've seen both in real life? Give me the larger inside. Do the studios have mini-refrigerators? I don't recall that they did.

Almost always lower when you are talking about within final payment window. If you look at the Aways or Escape for next summer, the rates for insides are significantly higher than studio - sometimes $1000 more.

Why would anyone sailing Solo want to book that far in advance?

Still, even outside the final payment window an Inside Single is still much cheaper than a Studio 90% of the time. I just ran a faux booking for all the "Away" ships plus the Epic through June and that is what I found.

Edited by Lido_Deck

I have in that we looked at doing one for my mother. Overall she found the inside was a bit more expensive, however it wasn't double over the studio cost.

The ones however with the special on a singles rate are the better choices over an inside. For instance 10/2 on the Breakaway with a drink package has an inside for $1115.44 (for 1) and a studio for $1503.19 - no brainer I would book the inside.

Yet on 10/16 the inside for 1 is 1602.19 while the studio is 1353.19. Now here the inside is higher, but still the cabin is larger than the studio, I would still take the inside over booking a studio.

Oh, it gets better...

The total with pre-paid gratuities was $504.01, so with the Cruise Next promotion of using two certificates I only paid $4.01 out of pocket.

Now...Those two certificates I used I bought on my last NCL cruise as a Buy 1/Get 1 free promotion. As a result, my real cost for the solo cabin, taxes, fees and gratuity was $254.01.

And my onboard account at the end of the cruise was $0.00.

I got an inside on my next cruise that was priced almost $300 less than a Studio. I prepaid my tips so I hope to have an onboard account to match yours at the end. LOL.

Del Rio is going to be pretty mad he can't get the extra $50 as he promised NCL shareholders.:D

Edited by IrieBajan54