6 yo picky eater

For anyone who has traveled with a little one that is a picky eater.

My young guy is on a grilled cheese, pasta or plain grilled chicken kick at the present time.

Are those items readily available on a cruise? Or is it more fried chicken tenders or pizza?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speaking about the windjammer buffet, pasta is available every day with usually a tomato sauce and alfredo type sauce as options. I have seen grilled chicken breast on several occasions. Grilled cheese may he hard to come by depending on the ship.[/quote

Sounds great. Thanks

My kids are both very picky, the older one developed a new love for a plate of fries and plain pasta on our last cruise and the younger one loved that the waiter in the MDR always had his cheeseburger ready, along with at least 2 red jellos - every single night of the cruise.

My young guy is on a grilled cheese, pasta or plain grilled chicken kick at the present time.

Are those items readily available on a cruise? Or is it more fried chicken tenders or pizza?

Thanks.

They are very obliging...waiters will sort out pretty much anything within reason

Do cruise lines make kids order from a children's menu? Just curious, I never took my kids on a cruise when they were younger, we took land based trips. In restaurants they ordered from the adult menu, children's menus just weren't available in restaurants around the world. We'd ask for half portions, if the menu item was able to be served as a half portion, not all can. But just a suggestion to try to expand their taste buds, some of the pickiness is preferred flavor like all of us, but also with young kids it is the one thing they can control, so there is that aspect as well. The less issue you make over catering to special meals the better off they are in the long run.

Sent from my waffle iron using Blueberry Batter

Rusty

I think you will be surprised how wonderful the waiters are with kids. Many of them have children of their own and miss them. They often tend to go above and beyond for kids.

A couple of examples - my grandkids at the time aged 6 and 8 - loved the cold, fruit soups. They finished every drop - our waiter noticed and asked if they would like more! Just like a kid at home! Also came up with cheesecake when the 8 year-old was disappointed that it was not on the menu.

Thanks.

You can get all of those things.

Many years ago, we were having lunch in the MDR. An elderly Aunt was looking over the menu and chatting with us about how she had a craving for a grilled cheese but it wasn't on the menu. She went ahead and ordered a cheeseburger. When the waiter came out to serve us our meal, he brought my Aunt the cheeseburger she had ordered....and a grilled cheese sandwich. We didn't even realize he had overhead the conversation and no mention of this was made when we ordered. The waiters are unbelievable. Since this was during lunch, this wasn't even our dinner waiter. They just go out of their way to please everyone.

As a parent I hate cooking food my kids don't like, well I hate cooking period.

A cruise is a great time for kids to taste something new and different. You can always offer them a bite off your plate or order them something off the adult menu that you think they might like. It doesn't cost you anything and its a easy way to see if you can expand their pallet. I am not saying be wasteful but taking a tiny amount off the buffet for the child to try does no harm and may surprise you.

In my family I am the picky one but I try new food on every cruise, even if its just one bite followed quickly by a gulp of water.