Planning our 1st Transatlantic cruise and need some help

jpkriseddie

I LOVE transatlantics. I've done one every year for the past 4 years and am on the Epic end of this month for my 5th. I love the relaxation of so many sea days and I've met so many wonderful people over the years and the same people keep coming back for the TAs year after year.

There are fewer kids, but that kids club will still be open and the kids that are there would be getting more one on one attention.

We did a 15 day transatlantic last year. There were about 6 kids onboard. They were treated like gold. Special events and the kiddie pools were open for the first 6! Days. Once we were in open ocean they close the kiddie pools. The indoor pool was open and the kids were welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by frenchcanrican

To the original poster - As you have a young son, have you considered a TA on Disney? Previously we've sailed a TA on HAL and decided to give Disney a try last month on Disney Magic's 11-night Barcelona to NYC cruise. We're in our 60's and didn't have any children with us and we were amazed at the amount of activities for both adults and children that were available everyday.

We were on a 14-day NCL Alaska cruise (out and back from Vancouver) and decided to book Disney at the last minute (about 3 weeks before the cruise was leaving) as the price was reasonable. The ship was only about 2/3 full - 1800 passengers including 180 children. It looks like the kids were having a great time as the various kids clubs were open with 50 counselors and only 180 kids. There were all types of opportunities for passengers to take pictures with a wide range of Disney and other characters like Spiderman. Disney really knows how to put on big production shows and they were all well done - great costumes and staging. In addition there is a large movie theater showing multiple Disney films each day, in room TV with lots of Disney channels for the kids and multiple movie channels for the adults, and deck parties like Frozen at sea and Pirates night with fireworks. Disney even has lifeguards at all the pools and slides. The itinerary was good as well - leave Barcelona then 3 days at sea, a port day in the Azores, 3 days at sea then 2 port days in Nova Scotia, and finally 1 sea day before arrival in NYC. Disney was more expensive than a TA with NCL, but for a child and even adults who are mildly fans of Disney films and characters, it was a memorable and fun experience.

I have done one TA, and don't think I would do it again, although maybe if I were retired I would consider it.

Hubb and I took the inaugural voyage of the RCCL Quantum from London to NY. Great price. Ship was very nice with lots to do, although there were a number of first-run glitches (which I anticipated and did not ruin my trip). We had very rough weather for about 2 1/2 days of the 8 day journey.

We met some very nice people, and on a TA you really do begin to see familiar faces since all the time is spent on board. I can't say we were "bored", as I'm always happy reading a book, making a donation to the slots, or soaking in a hot tub. Hey, it's better than work! But, by the time the trip was over, we were glad to be off the ship. It's just a lot of time in a closed environment with a fairly set routine.

RE: your son, at 5, he's probably still really into mommy and daddy - I doubt he would get bored because he will enjoy being with you!

Some people love TA's... I guess I just wasn't one of them. YMMV!

Hi, yes he always enjoyed spending time with children and love the splash academy but also at his age he love just spending time with us and being around us. So I think he will be ok. Just have to check if the splash academy will be open on all days

Sent from my SM-G903F using Forums mobile app

I LOVE transatlantics. I've done one every year for the past 4 years and am on the Epic end of this month for my 5th. I love the relaxation of so many sea days and I've met so many wonderful people over the years and the same people keep coming back for the TAs year after year.

There are fewer kids, but that kids club will still be open and the kids that are there would be getting more one on one attention.

Will.be great to hear from you how many kids were on the ship this year once you return:)

To the original poster - As you have a young son, have you considered a TA on Disney? Previously we've sailed a TA on HAL and decided to give Disney a try last month on Disney Magic's 11-night Barcelona to NYC cruise. We're in our 60's and didn't have any children with us and we were amazed at the amount of activities for both adults and children that were available everyday.

We were on a 14-day NCL Alaska cruise (out and back from Vancouver) and decided to book Disney at the last minute (about 3 weeks before the cruise was leaving) as the price was reasonable. The ship was only about 2/3 full - 1800 passengers including 180 children. It looks like the kids were having a great time as the various kids clubs were open with 50 counselors and only 180 kids. There were all types of opportunities for passengers to take pictures with a wide range of Disney and other characters like Spiderman. Disney really knows how to put on big production shows and they were all well done - great costumes and staging. In addition there is a large movie theater showing multiple Disney films each day, in room TV with lots of Disney channels for the kids and multiple movie channels for the adults, and deck parties like Frozen at sea and Pirates night with fireworks. Disney even has lifeguards at all the pools and slides. The itinerary was good as well - leave Barcelona then 3 days at sea, a port day in the Azores, 3 days at sea then 2 port days in Nova Scotia, and finally 1 sea day before arrival in NYC. Disney was more expensive than a TA with NCL, but for a child and even adults who are mildly fans of Disney films and characters, it was a memorable and fun experience.

I actually never thought about a Disney TA cruise but I will check the prices and dates they have as well.good idea.thanks

Epic November 2016 13-day TA balcony guarantee from Barcelona: $999/passenger.

Epic November 2017 13-day TA balcony guarantee from Barcelona: $849/passenger.

Epic - October 30. 3016 from Barcelona - 13 Day Inside Cabin: $449

It seems to be much cheaper to sail east to west, at least from Barcelona! We are on the Getaway, April 30, 2017, 16 nights to Copenhagen and the prices are still going up! Balconies started around $849 in March, according to another CC'r, we got in at $1149 pp, and it now lists at $2799 for guarantee balcony. Is this unusual?

Our last TA was the all-time bargain on HAL Westerdam going west-east again so I wonder if it's because a lot of people drop out before final payment that prices drop? Trying to plan for 2018 now and learning from other's experiences. Thank you for sharing!

TA's are great for relaxing, quiet days at sea and a few ports sprinkled in. I'm thinking an east-west.;)

No, not true. I am referring to the end prices and late booking. Both dump with similar deep discounts. My 14 day Spirit sailing, this past April , was a little over $300 total with using 2 deposits, single.

I called NCL this morning. They said yes there are very few children on the TA cruises but even for 1 child the Splash Academy will be open every single day for entertaining.so in the worst case my son will have few entertainers for him self...hahaha. i think he will love the extra attention they will provide for only few children

We are on our first TA the end of this month on the Epic. Large Balcony, just wondering what we should pack? Any tips or ideas are great. Hubby and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary, decided to do this instead of a party. He loves the cigar lounges, I just enjoy being waited on! Can't wait!

We are on our first TA the end of this month on the Epic. Large Balcony, just wondering what we should pack? Any tips or ideas are great. Hubby and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary, decided to do this instead of a party. He loves the cigar lounges, I just enjoy being waited on! Can't wait!

Hi:) it would be great if you can tell me how many children did you see in board while on the cruise after you come back :) Epic is wonderful ship! I hope you will enjoy it

We have been on 2 transatlantics once on the Epic and once on the Liberty of the Seas, both times our children were with us although they were older than 5 at the time. My daughter was in Entourage and our son in Splash the kids clubs are open every day and both our children loved the cruises no less than any other. Our Epic transatlantic was over Halloween and the kids club took them trick or treating and they had a fancy dress party. If your son is okay in childcare and enjoys having you to himself he will love it

We have been on 2 transatlantics once on the Epic and once on the Liberty of the Seas' date=' both times our children were with us although they were older than 5 at the time. My daughter was in Entourage and our son in Splash the kids clubs are open every day and both our children loved the cruises no less than any other. Our Epic transatlantic was over Halloween and the kids club took them trick or treating and they had a fancy dress party. If your son is okay in childcare and enjoys having you to himself he will love it[/quote']

Hi, thank you soooo much for the info. Yes he loves the splash academy and being on the ship so i also think he will have fun

I found that because the groups of children are small they are more tight knit. I would guess there were around 40 in total on the Epic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect! Some people had experience on TA with no children at all on board or only loke 5-6 of them so i was kind of worry...but hey even if they are only 2 they will have all this babysitters for them:)

• 2 weeks later...
Oct 30 this year and $449 inside is even better- add the 2 deposits and it is $425pp TOTAL.

Yesterday I helped a friend book the October 30, 2016 TA on the Epic which is just 9 days away. He booked a Studio Cabin for $389 including one perk. He chose the UBP and paid the $158 in drink gratuities. Personally, I would have chosen the pre-paid gratuities for 13 days of $175.5.