ST. Thomas or St. Marteen for Booze purchases

NJporkroll

The deal with St Thomas is that each person can bring back 5 bottles as long as one is made in the Virgin Islands.

My impression is that prices are cheaper in St. Martin, but you get a 1 bottle duty free allowance.

I'm sure others will post how this works in reality.

Check prices carefully. For the brands we purchase it is cheaper to buy at home at Total Wine.

Agree, You need to know your prices, ship normally has good prices also, but found some prices more than total wine. I like some stuff that you can't but in the US like white Hennessy cognac

Of the two ports listed in the title. We want to purchase some holiday gifts. Is one port better than the other for alcohol prices?

We always found the selection in St. Thomas better and the prices from both islands not all that much different. I would recommend Milan Jewelers for liquor in St. Thomas, that's our go to place and they deliver your purchases to the ship so you don't have to carry it back. :D

I will check the prices on the internet. Also,

how competitive is the onboard pricing vs. the islands?

There are certain brands we want that you can't buy within the US.

So, i will take your advice and do my homework.

I have a lot to learn :eek:

The deal with St Thomas is that each person can bring back 5 bottles as long as one is made in the Virgin Islands.

My impression is that prices are cheaper in St. Martin, but you get a 1 bottle duty free allowance.

I'm sure others will post how this works in reality.

In all of my travels I found that St Marteen gives you the better pricing. If you are stopping in both ports, you can still bring back the same amounts as though the liquor was bought in St Thomas.

We have purchased in both ports - in St. Thomas at the KMart (yes really!) and at a grocery store in St. Maarten (we had a rental car). As mentioned, know your pricing before you go out and if you have a few minutes, take time to comparison shop. There are several liquor stores near the pier in both ports, but if you can get out of that area you may find better prices.

I did not find St Maarten to have good deals at all. I checked prices at home first and found island prices to be maybe $1 cheaper, or in some cases more expensive. Saving a dollar isn't worth the hassle of carrying it back home.

I would suggest buying things that are unique and can't be found at home. Like the Guavaberry liquer on St Maarten. I'm pretty sure it's the only island that sells it, and while it tastes like cherry cough syrup by itself, it makes a delicious and sweet Guavaberry pina colada

Sent from my iPhone using Forums