Grandeur of the Seas 10/8/16

rms519

Just an FYI, RCCLs site is definitely not up-to-the-minute. We've been checking all week. Even now it doesn't say anything! Even Carnival Pride changed their itinerary for tomorrow and offered a choice and a full refund. It comes down to passenger safety and proper customer service, period. RCCL dropped the ball on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your parents were on the ship, coul have sailed and decided to get OFF the ship and not cruise????.....Some one sounds very very confused or.......K.O.:rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

Again, I completely understand weather, new ports, rough seas, etc. All that I'm saying is that RCI should have given people an option at least on the day of cruising. I'm sure they will compensate and it looks like they have. It's all about customer service here, folks. It's a lot of people to leave uncertain. Those on and off the ship. Still surprised that some people get so defensive and try to make it look like there was nothing else RCI could have done. None of us know what the captains/RCI discussed yesterday or the day before, etc. Bottom line, this cruise definitely didn't go as planned for any of the passengers and that is unfortunate.

RCL is doing the right thing compensation wise, your parents on the other hand made a bad choice, period.....K.O:eek:

By 2:00, there are usually only stragglers still boarding. This just gives another reason to arrive early, but I do wonder how many this really affected?

I agree that it is ridiculous to think that anyone did not know that hurricane Matthew could be a problem. You would have to turn off the the TV, radio and the Internet. :rolleyes:

RCL can not control the weather--but, they can control there own flow of information. . . . but this is related to their bigger problem of IT.

We have sailed out of Baltimore a number of times. People who arrive at 1 pm are often not through security and the check in process by 2pm

On our last cruise we drove in from VA and there was a big accident on I-95. We took the much slower Rt 301 and got to the port around 12:45. Luckily we were in a JR suite and we had almost no line. However, the regular check-in line wrapped around many times and looked like Walt Disney World.

RCL has been sending emails with staggered check in times to reduce the noon crush. [i do not know if this sailing got those emails.] It would be unfortunate to have followed these and missed a cruise.

Also, I have seen chartered buses pull up around the 1-2 pm time frame.

I like to arrive by 11 am if I can.

No assigned blame to RCL or late arrivals. . . . just a bad situation.

It doesn't look very promising in the direction of Halifax either.

Nope, sure doesn't. I just wish we'd get out of the middle of it already!

RCL has been sending emails with staggered check in times to reduce the noon crush. [i do not know if this sailing got those emails.] It would be unfortunate to have followed these and missed a cruise.

No such emails this time around.

~~~~~

Latest announcement - Ship speed has been slowed for our comfort, thus limiting the ports we will be able to get to. We're going 12.1 knots right now. Still don't know where we're going.

Now I'm going to try to get some more sleep. I didn't get much last night. LOL

Nope, sure doesn't. I just wish we'd get out of the middle of it already!

No such emails this time around.

~~~~~

Latest announcement - Ship speed has been slowed for our comfort, thus limiting the ports we will be able to get to. We're going 12.1 knots right now. Still don't know where we're going.

Now I'm going to try to get some more sleep. I didn't get much last night. LOL

Thank you for keeping us posted. Hope you can get some rest now

RCL is doing the right thing compensation wise, your parents on the other hand made a bad choice, period.....K.O:eek:

Actually, seems like they made a pretty good choice seeing as the passengers have updated the current situation. Read the whole thread before commenting and you will get the point. [emoji849]

Your parents were on the ship, coul have sailed and decided to get OFF the ship and not cruise????.....Some one sounds very very confused or.......K.O.:rolleyes:

Yes, I think that is clear. Why in the world would they stay on a ship when no one is certain of where they're even going? Seems you are confused or simply do not think you deserve to be informed of what is going on. Either way, enjoy your day [emoji849]

My husband and father are on this sailing. When they arrived no one even took their luggage. My father who has a handicap and my husband had to carry their own luggage aboard the ship. I had dropped them off an hour before boarding opened just to ensure he could be accommodated and not have to wait so long. RCI did have them aboard very quickly but he can't be carrying around luggage. I had called on Saturday morning to double check the itinerary and was told Bermuda was still on so neither of them are prepared to travel to cold weather. At least give an on board credit to purchase a sweatshirt from the gift shop to passengers who don't have proper attire. Not only that I have pictures from their room which had hair on the refrigerator at time of boarding, last night the ceiling in the dining room was leaking water on their table and food, and as of this morning their stateroom had no AC they have the balcony door open. I understand weather happens but there should be some allowance from RCI to the guests and more communication along the way. I seem to know more about what is going on than they do.

I have read all these postings. I agree with a lot of statements. I think maybe the Calptain / Royal had no choice. Coast guards play the biggest roll..

Again people don't always pay attention and tell it the way they think they heard it.

When Nordic Empress had their fire the day before we were to board I think June 2002. We called and they said the travel agt would be in touch as that was how we were going thru her.We changed plans for a road trip and on return found T/A rescheduled and we got all our money back and a free cruise This was a Bermuda cruise

Some only got money back and 1/2 off on next cruise. This was cruises booked for later., heard this talk on the rebooked cruise.

Hope all goes well for those envolved. There is a lot of fine print in the contract that very few read and I for one.

Again, I completely understand weather, new ports, rough seas, etc. All that I'm saying is that RCI should have given people an option at least on the day of cruising. I'm sure they will compensate and it looks like they have. It's all about customer service here, folks. It's a lot of people to leave uncertain. Those on and off the ship. Still surprised that some people get so defensive and try to make it look like there was nothing else RCI could have done. None of us know what the captains/RCI discussed yesterday or the day before, etc. Bottom line, this cruise definitely didn't go as planned for any of the passengers and that is unfortunate.

Again RCI had no choice because the USCG decided to close the Chesapeake Bay. A decision had to made and RCI decided to sail early in order to be out of bay before closure. From what I've read RCI is stepping up to the plate and reimbursing folks who were not able to board 100% and those who sailed will get 50% and I think that is very generous of them and great customer service. I've cruised enough to know that if there is a storm the possibility exists for a change in itinerary to include missing scheduled ports. In a situation like this I would stay on the ship and just enjoy the ship and not worry about where I was going. I'm still on a cruise.

Edited by psupa

First, I appreciate the on-board cruisers updating us regarding the status of the ship. This is very helpful.

I was involved in this situation and would like to confirm much of the information already posted. I arrived during the check-in window and was not allowed on the ship, despite checking-in and telling Royal Caribbean what time I would arrive.

In addition, many of the posters here are just adding white noise to the situation and they have no idea of the actual events. Let me tell you what has actually happened regarding this situation.

Regarding communication from Royal Caribbean:

The only communication from Royal Caribbean was at the port. There was one representative who gave us a card to contact customer service representatives at the company. We asked her why, and she told us 'because you are not going on this cruise.' I had asked the company many times before about this cruise regarding any issues about cancellation or itinerary changes. They refused to make a comment and told me that they would update me as necessary...which they never did.

Regarding the departure:

We arrived in the time window, we were given bag tags, parking access, and when we approached the cruise terminal there was a line. We were never approached by any representatives. When we approached one ourselves she took our information and informed us that we were not going. All 'blame' was placed on the US Coast Guard.

Regarding the forecast models:

After Matthew was determined to be a threat to land, the NHC models had the path coincidental with the path of the cruise to Bermuda. The cruise should not have been cancelled a week ago when this occurred however, Royal Caribbean should have notified people that changes were possible. The models improved days later showing Matthew to 'recurve' south and be less of a threat...which is why they likely did not cancel. Within 24 hours of departure the model 'recurve' went away and the storm became more threatening...which eventually incited the action by the US Coast Guard to ask for an early departure. This request by the US Coast Guard, particularly for a company who works on the ocean was absolutely predictable and should have been in consideration by Royal Caribbean. There is no way that this was a 'surprise' to Royal Caribbean.

Nicole has been a treat the entire time as it has been forecasted to 'churn' to the south of Bermuda. The models had the timing for the storm to turn north and directly impact Bermuda close to the timing of the actual shore docking of the cruise. In fact, Nicole has been more of a treat to the cruise than Matthew. This was always an issue but was never addressed.

Regarding who is 'at fault':

Sorry, folks, but this is a corporate communication error by Royal Caribbean 100%. They are not at fault for the weather or the fact that the cruise could not depart on time. They are not in control of the US Coast Guard, but they are completely at fault for handling of the passenger issues and they should be held accountable for reimbursement and refunds. Royal Caribbean should have anticipated the change as it was completely reasonable considering the forecast models. Royal Caribbean should have notified guests prior to the departure to anticipate a potential change in the itinerary or boarding times as a preemptive measure. They did not. Given the reimbursement of expenses and payment for the cruise, unless you had insurance, there was no way to just decide not to go because you didn't like the forecast; therefore, everyone went to the port and paid to go to the port. I can see if Royal Caribbean had issued a statement early they might have an 'out' but they did not. I couldn't imagine anyone would want to risk their cruise fare because it 'might not ' depart.

Regarding reimbursement:

I did not get on the ship. They might treat those who boarded differently but I have been told I will be contacted next week to sort all issues out. That said, however, Royal Caribbean has offered me 100% refund and a 100% match of my cruise fare as a credit on a future cruise (with an expiration date). I have yet to know of any consideration for time and expense associated with travel to the port.

Best wishes to those who are actually on the cruise, I hope it has gone as well is it possibly could given the issues.

So, my parents drove to Baltimore, got on the ship, then were told that they were leaving early because they are closing Chesapeake Bay! The ship is supposed to go to Bermuda. I doubt it seeing as the storms are right in the path. RCCL has not informed anyone before the sailing or even right now. My parents decided to get off the ship seeing as we live in NY and can drive to Canada anyway. My parents are loyal Diamond cruisers. Unbelievable how Royal has not informed the passengers. So, they get off the ship and there are many people waiting to board that we're told they can't!! They just shut the doors on these people who were parking cars, etc. their baggage is on the ship! I cannot believe that Royal did not learn anything from the Anthem disaster!! I'm so happy my parents decided to get off the ship, but so disappointed in RCCL that they are so lacking in customer service!!

Thank you for starting this post. I concur with your statements as I experienced things as well...

Onboard now. Very, very rough sailing. I am diamond on RC and have sailed on other lines as well. Never seasick until last night at @ 4am. I am traveling with 3 and 4 year olds who have also been on many cruises but who are also sick. We were told no seasick bags left because so many are ill. Lots of leaking roofs and flooding balconies.

I personally have no problem with the change from Bermuda to the north, and honestly I expected it. I am concerned because even though the Captain announced Port Liberty in New Jersey, an officer just told my daughter that it is not certain because they may be having an issue with clearances.

I do agree that if Carnival was able to change info about today's sailing on Thursday, RC should have been able to come up with reliable info before departure and allowed people to make an informed decision.

Hoping for smoother sailing soon

But yet it is, going to Bermuda!!

Given the fact that Hurricane Matthew has been in the news for many days now, I don't understand why anyone would believe that it would be going to Bermuda in the first place, or would WANT to go given the weather conditions!

Should Royal Caribbean have made a decision earlier...yes, I agree this is a little late in the game to change plans. I'm truly sorry for everyone who was denied boarding after traveling to Baltimore, and the ones who are oboard and maybe felt they had no choice. It would have been much better all around to have just cancelled the cruise from the get go. It puzzles me that the cruise lines wait till the very last second to make these kind of decisions. :confused:

Maybe not, look at this map it shows actual position not planned path:

http://www.cruisemapper.com/

Thanks! Last time I used the sea scanner site it showed actual position and now it will not allow that. It is showing scheduled position.

Always something to learn.

Edited by destiny217

If your luggage fills up the last cart when dropped off, your luggage WILL be you on the ship!

I've cruised out of Baltimore several times. Luggage is not put on the ship as soon as it's dropped off. The carts sit until they are full enough and then they are pulled around to the ship. It doesn't happen that fast. How can so many miss the point that RCI had to make a quick decision once the USCG decision was made? I can't believe you don't understand this was not in RCI's control.

It appears from timing that there was not enough time for the cruisers to make a decision and debark anyone and their luggage.. I'm betting they had maybe 1/2 hour to get out or not make it out of the bay. I'm amazed that people think RCI isn't putting safety ahead of everything else. This is NOT about anyone's value as a customer. It's about much more important things.

I do think some need to step back and quit thinking this is personal.

Not me, because the ship is half way to Bermuda and they missed out on a great cruise. Just think, maybe half full!!

Thank of all the EMPTY suites. I would ask for a free upgrade to one, and probably get one...............

I understand it is nature, nothing you can do. BUT, at least give people a choice. As for the luggage, you drop at the porter and go park, luggage is on the ship. Everyone has an opinion until they or someone they know is in that situation. The point is, you are paying a lot of money to go. You should be treated like a valued customer. I'm glad they chose to get off.