Grandeur of the Seas 10/8/16

rms519

If your luggage fills up the last cart when dropped off, your luggage WILL be you on the ship!

Have you ever watched how they load luggage? After they do move the full cart, it has to be scanned, then they leave it sitting on the pier until the forklift driver gets to it. There are always multiple loads sitting waiting to be loaded. Even at it's fastest, I'm pretty sure the quickest luggage would get loaded on the ship is 45 minutes to an hour.

Edited by BND

I can confirm the following as I have clients sailing on this Oct 8 date:

(1) I received an email from RCCL at 2:20 pm on Saturday stating a change of itinerary; but nothing about an early departure.

(2) 2 of my clients who were denied boarding are getting 100% refund. Only issue is with RCCL Shore Excursions. The Emergency Deck is saying they will get on board credit. We are trying to explain to RCCL that they are not on the ship; there is no one to give OBC to!! We really need this refunded also!!

(3) Those on board are getting 50% Future Cruise Credit based on CRUISE FARE only; not total paid on cruise. So you have to deduct the fees, port charges, taxes, gratuities, any discount if you booked during the Buy One Get One Half Off sale, Crown & Anchor Discount, etc. Then that is the balance x 50% = your FCC. So if your total cruise was $1000 per person (cruise, taxes, fees, port charges, etc.); you are NOT getting $500 per person in FCC; you may be getting between $200 and $300 back.

(4) There was a communication breakdown on RCCL's part.

I've been cruising for 30 yrs. At least 8-9 times cruise changed where we went, sometimes one destination and some all. This was due to weather, high waves/wind, hurricanes(4 named storms during one sailing) and even a civil war. Not once did I know any changes until after we set sail. That said I still feel sorry for those who didn't get on ship, sad when you plan so long. Royal didnt have choice with the weather changing but they need update the way contact people, one mass text or tweet would have helped...

Thank you to the people who understand what I'm saying. It's about the communication. My points have been reiterated in the last few posts from people who actually experienced the lack of communication on RCCLs part. Why risk losing business and upsetting the customer when it is avoidable through appropriate customer service?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks! Last time I used the sea scanner site it showed actual position and now it will not allow that. It is showing scheduled position.

Always something to learn.

That has always been that way. There are no free sites that I know of that show ship position away from AIS coverage. When within AIS coverage use a site like marinetraffic to show ship position.

The line at guest services is rather long. People are rather angry. I heard someone yelling about not being told it was going to be a rough trip. I'm pretty sure they mentioned the Bay was closing because of the storm, hence why we left early. Did they think that meant smooth sailing? :rolleyes:

Lots of people are talking about getting off in NJ. Still no announcement on what time we'll be getting there. I heard people say around 8 pm and another person said late tonight.

Another wrinkle. Azamara Quest is currently at Cape Liberty. Due to leave at 6 but NCL Breakaway has decided to stay in NY overnight and I wouldn't be surprised if Quest did the same. May be a challenge docking there.

Roy

Another wrinkle. Azamara Quest is currently at Cape Liberty. Due to leave at 6 but NCL Breakaway has decided to stay in NY overnight and I wouldn't be surprised if Quest did the same.

Quest just left the harbor and ironically, is heading to Baltimore.

Why is the ship stopping at cape liberty? As a port of call?

To get out of this storm, though it is getting better now that the storm is finally moving east.

Quest just left the harbor and ironically, is heading to Baltimore.

Really? How odd.

~~~~~

Three options for transportation into Manhattan:

free ferry to the Financial District

bus ($12 one way or $20 round trip)

taxi (your own expense)

According to Marine Traffic, Carnival Pride is still docked in Baltimore. Don't know for sure, but the bay is probably still closed, and Grandeur would still be somewhere around Baltimore (sitting at a cargo dock?) if she hadn't left when she did.

Roy

I think they are docking in Bayonne, NJ to offload all the sea sick passengers, and all the crying ones, and complainers. :D

Hard to believe passengers weren't aware it would be rough seas. If they did any research at all about sailing to Bermuda, they would know the Atlantic can be rough seas at any time of the year. Then, add in sailing during hurricane season. Plus there are 2 storms in the near vicinity. The ship should have sailed to Bermuda, and sailed right through the storms, then you would really have some disgruntled passengers.

As for the passengers that were not allowed onto the ship, and had shore excursions booked. I'm sure RC will sort out this mess, and refund the money paid. And if RC wold not do this, the passengers would be able to dispute this with their credit card. The services were never delivered.

When we sailed to Bermuda during Hurricane Sandy, we had horrendous seas, with 45+ ft waves, and winds of 100+ with wind gusts up to 187. This was direct from the captain. We were not offered a choice to cancel. We had insurance, but if we didn't sail, we would not be reinbursed. It was a very rough ride, but we made it to Bermuda, and on time. We did not get any type of compensation from RC. We did not complain to RC about our situation. We knew it was during hurricane season. Didn't expect to be put in the middle of one at the end of October, but it was what it was.