28 degree credit card

Whilst it used to be a great card to use overseas especially when you could load it up with cash and use it like a debit card, sadly you can no longer. See https://www.28degreescard.com.au/credit-card-features/ and note the fee on cash advances which now applies.

We still use it for credit card purchases overseas as there is no international transaction fees and the exchange rates are usually very fair. Recently it also introduced a fee for 'payment handling'

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Edited by Melba51

I've never used it as an ATM card, but we now use it for all overseas travel and also for internet shopping.

Can you share why it's your preferred card?

I like earning card points for flight redemptions from my credit card spend - I don't believe this card offers that. I guess it comes down to the value I perceive of the points versus the overseas transaction fees savings using this card

Why don't you just get a Barclay card or capital one card most of them don't have any international transaction fees and will give you rewards. I use my capital one venture card all the time and routinely get back 2 thousand dollars a year in rewards

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you share why it's your preferred card?

I like earning card points for flight redemptions from my credit card spend - I don't believe this card offers that. I guess it comes down to the value I perceive of the points versus the overseas transaction fees savings using this card

Essentially the foreign exchange fees on our regular credit card, which does earn us points, were getting ridiculous. We still use that card for local purchases but now use the 28 Degrees card for overseas transactions.

Why don't you just get a Barclay card or capital one card most of them don't have any international transaction fees and will give you rewards. I use my capital one venture card all the time and routinely get back 2 thousand dollars a year in rewards

Like me, the OP lives in Australia. I'm not sure the cards you mention are available here.

I switched to the new ANZ Rewards Travel cards. They don't have international transaction fees, with the added benefits of frequent flyer points earning, a free domestic flight with Virgin Australia and lounge pass, and travel insurance. There's an annual fee but for me the benefits outweigh the negatives and some of the limitations of 28° MC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use the Citibank card to withdraw cash overseas but also use the BankWest world mastercard for overseas credit transactions (and local), the overseas transactions have no fees but you don't earn points on overseas spend, however we earn Qantas points for all spend in Australia (unfortunately the earn has also reduced but it's still great for overseas travel)

That makes total sense when I visit Australia everybody tries to charge me fees for everything

It's usually only using Australian cards overseas that we get charged an overseas transaction fee. Besides American Express where some businesses charge fees, generally every other transaction is fee free in Australia.

The fees you get charged when in Australia will most likely be an overseas transaction fee charged by your own bank not Australia

It's usually only using Australian cards overseas that we get charged an overseas transaction fee. Besides American Express where some businesses charge fees, generally every other transaction is fee free in Australia.

The fees you get charged when in Australia will most likely be an overseas transaction fee charged by your own bank not Australia

Yes, the issue is that most banks now charge foreign transaction fees on transactions charged in AUD through an overseas bank - which is what RCI do. If you book an AUD Princess cruise, for expample, that is charged through an Australian bank, but RCI and Celebrity (and presumably some other cruise lines that operate in USD) charge through their US-based home offices even though they allegedly have an Australian office and offer prices in AUD.

This card was recommended on the forum. Can you preload it and use at atm's on the ships like a debit card to get cash as well as use it as a credit card for purchases on tour and over the internet? Tips would be appreciated.

You can but any cash advances attract a fee, better of just using it for purchases. We often load more money onto it so it is in credit and we then know we can be travelling for more than a month without having to pay the account.:D

The 28 degree card was recommended on the forum. Can you load it with cash and use as a debit card or withdraw cash from a foreign atm? Any tips and advice appreciated.

You can but cash advances attract a fee, perhaps a Citibank Debit card would suit you better, they do not have the fees on cash advances. although there may still be a ATM fee if it isn't a Citibank affiliated atm.

You can but any cash advances attract a fee, better of just using it for purchases. We often load more money onto it so it is in credit and we then know we can be travelling for more than a month without having to pay the account.:D

I too use the 28 degrees MasterCard for international purchases and the Citibank visa debit card for cash or if MasterCard is not accepted. The other reason it is not a good idea to put any credit card into credit, is that if the card is accessed fraudulently the bank will only cover the transactions up to your credit limit. So if you have a credit limit of $4000 and you put a further $2000 onto the card the criminals have access to $6000 which the bank will only cover you for the $4000. Jennifer

We got a BankWest card with no international transaction fees and a relatively low limit after we had a massive issue with a fraud on our usual card when it was stolen overseas. It saves us money and limits our exposure...I know the banks all say your card is safe from fraudulent transactions...don't believe it! The nightmare of sorting the fraud on our card took months to sort out.

We got a BankWest card with no international transaction fees and a relatively low limit after we had a massive issue with a fraud on our usual card when it was stolen overseas. It saves us money and limits our exposure...I know the banks all say your card is safe from fraudulent transactions...don't believe it! The nightmare of sorting the fraud on our card took months to sort out.

Yes, it is always a mess to sort out, even if you have cancelled the card straight away.:(

You can but cash advances attract a fee, perhaps a Citibank Debit card would suit you better, they do not have the fees on cash advances. although there may still be a ATM fee if it isn't a Citibank affiliated atm.

I got a Citibank Debit card a couple of months ago and will be using it for the first time in Nov/Dec while cruising SE Asia. How do I recognise a foreign Citibank affiliated ATM? I also believe I have to select credit not debit when making withdrawals and purchases. Can you confirm that is correct?

I also got a 28 Degrees Credit card both on the recommendations of CC members.