Best HOHO Bus in Rome?

harryw

Go on the one which actually says city sightseeing on the side - the other one is crap.

Actually the route for either is not great in Rome - doesn't go very close to a lot of the main sights. Taxis are cheap ( make sure they have their meter on).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The day I decided I was too lazy/tired/under the weather to walk around, I used Roma City Sightseeing. It's the big red one with lots of graphics on it. The only reason I picked it was because it was the first one to come by the stop at Piazza Barberini (down the street from my hotel). It got me around and I saw what I wanted to see on that lazy day. I can't say anything about any audio - I didn't pay attention.

Rome is fairly walkable or use public transport, which is cheap and easy. There are small electric buses which I think do 3 routes around some of the narrow streets. We used one in Trastevere a couple of times and we were dropped outside where we wanted to go.

The HOHO buses can't get around the narrow streets, so are not as useful in Rome as in other cities.

In general I don't recommend the HOHO bus in Rome (any of them); they just aren't that useful, as others have said, if you plan to just ride around and see the sights. The bus can't get close to some of the iconic ones -- Trevi Fountain for example, or the Pantheon.

If you just want to use it to get from one sightseeing point to another, check on the regular bus schedules -- much cheaper and they tend to run more frequently.

However, the best way to sightsee in Rome is just to walk. You end up seeing much more that way, and Rome has much to discover when you're on foot -- you see endless interesting things.

In general I don't recommend the HOHO bus in Rome (any of them); they just aren't that useful, as others have said, if you plan to just ride around and see the sights. The bus can't get close to some of the iconic ones -- Trevi Fountain for example, or the Pantheon.

If you just want to use it to get from one sightseeing point to another, check on the regular bus schedules -- much cheaper and they tend to run more frequently.

However, the best way to sightsee in Rome is just to walk. You end up seeing much more that way, and Rome has much to discover when you're on foot -- you see endless interesting things.

All true. I've only done HoHos twice: this time, when I wanted to be outside, but just did not have the feeling that I could walk for hours like I usually do. I was able to "people watch" from the top deck as it drove around. I didn't get off the bus. I just liked seeing what I could with the drive by. The second time I did a HoHo was in Paris: I came down with the flu the second day and stayed in bed the whole time the rest of the week until the last day. I still really bad and had zero energy, so hopped on the Hoho so I could at least get out and see some of what I did not get to see. All my other visits to either of these cities was done via foot and public transportation, my usual modes of transportation...