Newbie cruiser Celebrity reflection early disembarking question

Bluesmarties

Hi I'm totally new to this! Me and my family have booked the eastern med cruise next July on celebrity reflection. We're planning to spend a few days in rome at the end. The info says we arrive/disembark in Civitavecchia at 5am. Can anyone tell me what this means in real terms? that is - when are we likely to be off the ship and how are you best to get into rome at that time in the morning? Are we best to book accommodation for the night before too so we can check in as soon as we arrive? Travelling with a couple of kids so not looking forward to that bit much.

Thanks a lot.

They will expect you to leave the ship by 8:30 to 9 AM. Breakfast will be served on an earlier schedule than normal hours ( you will find the hours in your previous day's newsletter).No room service is offered on the departure morning.

Join your roll call to see about sharing a ride to Rome. Trains are a less expensive way to get to Rome, but not knowing the ages of your children don't know if I would recommend that route.

As rose6 said they will try and have everyone off the ship by about 9:30am.

There are a lot of companies that will provide transportation from he port to Rome. Some that we have used are Sun Transfers, RomeInLimo and Rome Cabs. You make a reservation with them on-line and give them the time you want to be picked up at the port.

Not sure I understood the question about booking a hotel? If you are asking about booking ahead for your hotel in Rome then yes. Many hotels are small with 10-12 rooms so you need to have your accommodations booked.

Hi Bluemarties,

First I see this is your first post here on CC. WELCOME!!

Plan ahead and your transfer to Rome will go fine. No worries!!

My wife and I just disembarked from Constellation on Monday (Oct 10) and it was really easy. Here is how it worked for us:

1. Ship docked at 6:30 am We were told to vacate rooms by 7am. - That's earlier than I remember from prior cruises. So don't expect to have the use of your room much later than that. I don't think they would make you leave the room any earlier than 7am.

2. We do express walk off so we don't have to put our bags out the night before and deal with all that. We were instructed to line up near the gangway at 7:20 with our luggage and we were out of the pier on the street by 7:45. So if you want to get off quick that is a possibly option.

If you don't do this, you will put your bags out the night before and be assigned a number and approx time to go off the ship. Your bags will be gathered by your assigned number on the pier. In past cruises all groups have been off by 9:30am. They want you off to get ready for the new passengers that will start boarding around 11.

3. Getting to Rome: Options run from public transportation by train(least expensive) to private car (most expensive). Be warned, the train option means dealing with getting to the train station, dealing with ticket machines, etc.

Suggestion - Celebrity may very well offer a transfer to city center on the last day. Maybe someone else will confirm this. If so, that may be your most easy solution as they will coordinate your transfer by bus to the city which is about an hour from the port. With a couple of kids, this may be the way to go if that is possible.

Booking the night before: That's up to you..... but know that your hotel will probably store your luggage for you if your room is not ready. Valuables you must keep with you, but the hotel will hold bags for you. If that works plan to do some touring when you get to the city, have a great lunch at a cafe and enjoy REAL Italian food and return to your hotel later in the day and your room will be ready. Why do you need to check in? Your're in Rome....you won't be in your hotel room anyway.

Have a wonderful trip!!

We have cruised into/out of Rome several times, and we always book a private transfer. For us, the cost is a small portion of our overall vacation price and is well worth the no hassle, reliable convenience when we are usually dealing with a good amount of luggage and carry ons. Highly recommend Rome Cabs, always prompt and friendly service in comfortable vehicles. For the record, a private car is almost always cheaper than the ship transfers which are per person, involve a lot of waiting around, and may or may not drop you directly at your chosen hotel. You won't be rushing to make a flight, so if you arrange a pick up for say 9:00 am you'll have a more stress free disembarkation, and still get into Rome at an hour early enough to explore.

Booking a room for the night before you arrive shouldn't be necessary. Almost every hotel will securely store your luggage so you can check in and then go out and sightsee until your room is ready. Your situation is different from those who arrive early AM after an overnight flight, you probably wouldn't need or want to nap but rather start exploring Rome right away.

Edited by cynbar

I would book the transfer closer to 9 in case they want you off the ship a bit earlier. 10:00 is definitely too late unless you like standing around--there is no customs/immigration in Civitavecchia so you will simply get your bags and go.

With 4 people, I can almost guarantee a private transfer will be less than a Celebrity transfer--and they can take you directly to your desired hotel, and in a private vehicle vs. a bus. With a Celebrity transfer you will need to wait until the whole coach is loaded before leaving, and then will be dropped off at a central Rome location. You would likely need to take a taxi from there.

Depending on what your Rome plans are, Rome in Limo has a nice package: pickup at the ship, a full day tour of the city, drop at your hotel and then a hotel to airport transfer on the day of your flight home. You can choose what you want to do during the day tour but it's great for covering a lot of highlights. The price is very reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I also agree with everyone that has written since my last post here.

If a private car transfer is within your budget...that's the way to go. I don't like to presume that.

Timing: On disembark day you will feel like "you have overstayed your welcome". Have a little something to eat and get to Rome.

9am is a good meeting time for your transfer. You won't want to be around much later.

We have also used Rome in Limo for a private all day tour and they were great.

Sounds like your plan is coming together! Have a great cruise!!!