NCL credit card

jpkriseddie

Thanks, I really just got the credit card to get the free $100, and then when charging the balance of the cruise got it up to $150. Plan on cancelling the card right after the cruise. I know I can get a lesser amount transferred to my bank account. Still trying to decide which I'd prefer to have. I get the cash has more real value, but to me it's like getting a check vs a gift card for a gift. Sure, the cash/check is always good, but, in reality it goes into my bank account and disappears among bills/paychecks/etc, whereas a gift card forces me to splurge :-).

Edited by sanger727

• 2 weeks later...
Points are worth way more if you use them for upgrades. I cashed in 30,000 points to go from an ocean view cabin to a balcony for our Alaska cruise. That was valued at $900 in savings. Cashed in 60,000 points to go from inside to balcony on our spring break 2017 escape cruise. That was valued at nearly $1900 in savings.

Heather I would be interested in knowing more about the ocean view cabin to a balcony upgrade that you got. I am not sure what a meta grade or double meta upgrade are. Did you go from an ocean view to an obstructed balcony? Also, did you book the ocean view room yourself and then contact the number to get the upgrade by redeeming your points, or do you book the trip with the redemption department to begin with?

Not true. $10,000 points equals a $100 onboard credit. It also equals a $100 statement credit.

No, not true! If you redeemed 10,000 points (for cash or statement credit) you would only receive .008 per point, not .01 per point. You would only see cash or statement credit of $80. If you redeemed less than 10,000 points, it would be only .005 per point.

It does not pay to redeem less than 25,000 points for statement credit or cash.

Edited by vince_g

Heather I would be interested in knowing more about the ocean view cabin to a balcony upgrade that you got. I am not sure what a meta grade or double meta upgrade are. Did you go from an ocean view to an obstructed balcony? Also, did you book the ocean view room yourself and then contact the number to get the upgrade by redeeming your points, or do you book the trip with the redemption department to begin with?

A meta-upgrade is from inside to Oceanview or Oceanview to balcony. Double meta-upgrade is inside to balcony.

For the Alaska cruise, I was able to book OA and then be upgraded to BA. I believe I originally called the number associated with the rewards points system. They told me if I book the highest level ocean view that I would only be able to receive the lowest level balcony. Which wound up not being true. I booked the highest Oceanview and got the highest level balcony. This was after I was transferred back to a Cruise consultant at Norwegian. I did not book this cruise and then later upgrade the cabin.

For our upcoming escape cruise, I had previously booked the November 5 escape cruise that was later canceled due to a charter. My travel agent was able to talk Norwegian into booking it for April 8 with price protection. I paid a very cheap price for an inside cabin IB. I used 60,000 points to go to a balcony. I called the rewards points phone number to do this. I can't remember if I was later transferred to a cruise consultant at Norwegian but they'll transfer you if needed. For this cruise I was able to go from IB inside to BD balcony. There's really no rhyme or reason to how the upgrades work.

Thanks for the information Heather! I tried scouting around for more specifics of redeeming the points but couldn't find much. These boards are a great resource from people who have found out the hard way how things work. We are almost at 30,000 points so a bump from ocean view to balcony would be more valuable to us than an onboard credit. I will definitely call the redemption # first before booking anything. Thanks for the quick response!

• 1 year later...
Points are worth way more if you use them for upgrades. I cashed in 30,000 points to go from an ocean view cabin to a balcony for our Alaska cruise. That was valued at $900 in savings. Cashed in 60,000 points to go from inside to balcony on our spring break 2017 escape cruise. That was valued at nearly $1900 in savings.

It worked like a charm on my 2017 Alaska cruise; we upgraded to a balcony from ocean view for 30,000 points. We're going again this year, and the lady at World Points told me in addition to my 30,000 points, it would increase my fare by $1,100. I was disappointed, but it was still less than if I had booked the balcony in the first place. And this was just a few days from our final payment date, and we only have a $1,000 limit on this card.

My travel agent didn't think it sounded right, either. So she called World Points and got the charge reversed. I just wonder if I caught someone on a bad day, or if they have changed policy?