"Upgrade Fairy" questions

Scoobs9

I've heard from fellow passengers on our upcoming Jan 2 Getaway cruise that upgrades are being offered already. This seems earlier than our March Break cruise where I had to call in a few weeks before the cruise to get an offer.

Any recent advice from others who received offers or accepted offers from the 'upgrade fairy" would be appreciated! Do they email offers or does it go through your travel agent?

I called the upgrade fairy on Thursday for a sailing leaving today. And that's the "upsell" fairy. She told me what offers they had available ($100 pp) for upgrade to a mini suite.

We booked thru a Big Box Ctore, so I was not sure they would talk to me but the did.

We decline, already had an Aft Balcony that we did not want to loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booked 4 weeks out for a sailing this past week through a TA. The day after we booked an upsell offer (very nice one) was sent to our TA, which she promptly called us about. Therefore, I would say that if you booked through a TA, make them aware that you would like to entertain upsell offers. They may even call to see if any are available for you. Keep in mind that this far from sailing they might not be the best offers in the world.

The upgrade fairy is pretty much nonexistent these days. You can often upsell if you call, but free upgrades seem to be a thing of the past. I just took two cruises and was offered upsells on both of them. I had booked both directly with the cruise lines and was sent an email. In the past, I've received a phone call (yet a different line). I just recently started using a TA and my cruises booked with her aren't until next year so too early to see how NCL will handle it if they do offer an upsell, but others have told me their TAs have been contacted. Then the onus is on the TA to contact her customers with the offer. That said, I've read on CC that even if you've booked through a TA, you can call the upsell number two or three weeks prior to your cruise to see what they have available. Good luck!

The upgrade fairy is pretty much nonexistent these days. You can often upsell if you call, but free upgrades seem to be a thing of the past. I just took two cruises and was offered upsells on both of them. I had booked both directly with the cruise lines and was sent an email. In the past, I've received a phone call (yet a different line). I just recently started using a TA and my cruises booked with her aren't until next year so too early to see how NCL will handle it if they do offer an upsell, but others have told me their TAs have been contacted. Then the onus is on the TA to contact her customers with the offer. That said, I've read on CC that even if you've booked through a TA, you can call the upsell number two or three weeks prior to your cruise to see what they have available. Good luck!

Our travel agent called us to offer us an upsell to the HAven which we said NO. In the past, in fact our last 3 cruises we always got upgraded for free. Last time we went from Ocean view to Balcony for free and two other times from Balcony to Mini suite. On this coming cruise even though they had availability the free upgrade never came. We currently have a Mid ship Balcony on the Epic. WE are happy with what be booked but it seems you are correct, unless they offer you the upsell,the free upgrade is the thing of the past. :(...

Our travel agent called us to offer us an upsell to the HAven which we said NO. In the past, in fact our last 3 cruises we always got upgraded for free. Last time we went from Ocean view to Balcony for free and two other times from Balcony to Mini suite. On this coming cruise even though they had availability the free upgrade never came. We currently have a Mid ship Balcony on the Epic. WE are happy with what be booked but it seems you are correct, unless they offer you the upsell,the free upgrade is the thing of the past. :(...

How nice that you've gotten that on your last three cruise! In 16 or 17 cruises, I've never gotten a free upgrade. I've been offered an upsell only three times: once on Carnival, once on HAL, and once on NCL. I would have done the upsell to the Haven on my NCL cruise last month if I hadn't been sailing solo. If my DD had been with me it would have been fun for us to try out the Haven, but I'd already splurged on a balcony (I always book a balcony when I bring my girl, but when I go solo it's usually in an inside) so didn't bite on a Haven upgrade.

How nice that you've gotten that on your last three cruise! In 16 or 17 cruises, I've never gotten a free upgrade. I've been offered an upsell only three times: once on Carnival, once on HAL, and once on NCL. I would have done the upsell to the Haven on my NCL cruise last month if I hadn't been sailing solo. If my DD had been with me it would have been fun for us to try out the Haven, but I'd already splurged on a balcony (I always book a balcony when I bring my girl, but when I go solo it's usually in an inside) so didn't bite on a Haven upgrade.

I've had the same experience. 26 cruises and counting and have never received a "free" upgrade. Only a paid upgrade on NCL this past March Break. Maybe it's just luck!!!:confused:

I started calling the upsell Fairy 5 weeks out and was told it was too early and then called 4 weeks out and price was too high and then called 3 weeks out and price was right. We went from a balcony room to a two bedroom family suite and it was great with two kids. We absolutely loved the Haven but the lady who answered the phone said the upsell number would be a thing of the past and they were rolling out the bidding concept on two ships and then if it is successful, all the ships. Glad I did it.

Friends of ours had booked 1 inside room on the spirit med 14 day cruise. It was 1 inside room for 4 adults. She was upgraded to 2 balcony rooms for free!! She got a call 3 days before they left.

Wow...now that's a great upgrade!!!!

I think there is a misunderstanding in the difference between upgrade fairy and an upsell. Upgrade fairy is when you do not pay any more than what you originally paid for an upgrade. And this is usually with guaranty cabins. There was once upon a time, active upgrade fairies. Not so much anymore. Upsell is when you pay more to get an upgrade - doesn't matter if you call them or they call you. If you pay more, it's an upsell.

I think there is a misunderstanding in the difference between upgrade fairy and an upsell. Upgrade fairy is when you do not pay any more than what you originally paid for an upgrade. And this is usually with guaranty cabins. There was once upon a time, active upgrade fairies. Not so much anymore. Upsell is when you pay more to get an upgrade - doesn't matter if you call them or they call you. If you pay more, it's an upsell.

Great explanation...thanks for clarifying.

I'm hearing now from another feed that there is a new bidding process that started. Princess and RCCL are so much easier to follow:confused:

I've heard from fellow passengers on our upcoming Jan 2 Getaway cruise that upgrades are being offered already. This seems earlier than our March Break cruise where I had to call in a few weeks before the cruise to get an offer.

Any recent advice from others who received offers or accepted offers from the 'upgrade fairy" would be appreciated! Do they email offers or does it go through your travel agent?

The Jan 2 Getaway cruise is part of the new bidding process. I got my email almost two weeks ago. If you did not receive the email to bid you can call and ask for one to be sent to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jan 2 Getaway cruise is part of the new bidding process. I got my email almost two weeks ago. If you did not receive the email to bid you can call and ask for one to be sent to you.

Thanks for the tip!

We once booked on Norwegian Epic and got a "free" upgrade... they lowered the price on our cruise, when I called Norwegian we still paid the same price, but they upgraded us to a aft penthouse suite. Was great! But now I hear all of these comments, sounds like this is rare. Worth to watch for price drops though, see what you can get.

Though we have a few cruises on our backs we have never been offered upgrades/upsells.

We booked through an online TA our next cruise (May 2017). When should we try contacting NCL for one of those? For the right price we might want to try Heaven... Can our contact be made by email? We live in Portugal and I'm not sure 1-800 numbers can be contacted from international calls.

Just returned from the Ncl gem and had an ocean view room booked. Called a few days before the cruise and told them we were possibly wanting to book a balcony and asked what was available for upsell. We took the deck 11 aft mini suite for $200 pp. They had the room on corner which was ADA accessible which meant the room was bigger and had a bigger balcony. :). 06b454388a0e3df49c3ad66e41299833.jpgd1506e5818d4ab3b4d4ac1bfef9937b9.jpg

Just returned from the Ncl gem and had an ocean view room booked. Called a few days before the cruise and told them we were possibly wanting to book a balcony and asked what was available for upsell. We took the deck 11 aft mini suite for $200 pp.

Interesting. Sounds like a great deal. We sail on the Gem this Sunday. We are in a regular/side balcony mini. Looks like yours has been updated - at least the carpet looks new. We received an upsell offer today for a non Haven suite but $750 pp was too steep for us. Rep said they had sold 2 already at that price and wouldn't listen to a lower offer. Our sailing is pretty much sold out.

How does the bidding work? Exactly how I'm thinking it does?! They tell you which categories are open and you email a bid on how much YOU would pay for that upgrade and the highest bid wins? Interesting concept. I'd love more details on whether or not this is successful as time goes on....

Edited by oneplustwins

This information is not necessarily true. Some travel agencies have not opted to participate in this new program. If booked with an agency that isn't "in" then you are "out". NCL will not send you the email if you are one of the unlucky peeps booking through one of these agencies. I have tried.

I believe as this program becomes less of an experiment and more of a standard, these agencies may change their stance.

Edited by lov2sun