Triumph or Fantasy?

bike1964

Just checking to see which ship would be a better fit for a middle aged couple that isn't really into the swimming...slides. However, we like to scuba dive and we aren't really big partiers. Just looking for a nice 5 night getaway and Mobile and New Orleans are almost the same distance from St Louis so travel is a non issue, and the prices are very close. So, what separates one ship from the other? I understand the Fantasy is one of the oldest ships (our very first Carnival cruise in 1999 Been on several since), but has had a nice refurb. over last winter. The Triumph is a larger ship (doesn't always mean better) and both have the Guy's burgers and the Blue Iguana Mexican. The reviews are so so for each ship, and neither one really stands above the other? The both have the same 5 night itenerary. Anyone care to steer me in the right direction? We are Platinum level cruisers with Carnival.

Thanks in advance

Just checking to see which ship would be a better fit for a middle aged couple that isn't really into the swimming...slides. However, we like to scuba dive and we aren't really big partiers. Just looking for a nice 5 night getaway and Mobile and New Orleans are almost the same distance from St Louis so travel is a non issue, and the prices are very close. So, what separates one ship from the other? I understand the Fantasy is one of the oldest ships (our very first Carnival cruise in 1999 Been on several since), but has had a nice refurb. over last winter. The Triumph is a larger ship (doesn't always mean better) and both have the Guy's burgers and the Blue Iguana Mexican. The reviews are so so for each ship, and neither one really stands above the other? The both have the same 5 night itenerary. Anyone care to steer me in the right direction? We are Platinum level cruisers with Carnival.

Thanks in advance

Fantasy has been our least favorite ship so far - because we are forced to pay for a suite to get a balcony and an OV just won't do. I would chose the Truimph (sailing her for first time in Dec 2017) as she has L shaped balcony - our FAVORITE for romantic getaway.

i would choose triumph over fantasy any day.

triumph is a larger, more modern ship. she has more, larger, facilities than the fantasy class, and she's smaller than the conquest forward derivations of the destiny platform - so pretty much the same stuff of the bigger ships with less passengers.

i can also speak from experience on triumph - i'd go again without hesitation. also, triumph has the more modern feature of many balconies, for greater availability and lesser cost vs. fantasy class ships.

i just don't dig the fantasy class ships (granted, i've never been on one), and given the choice, i'd pick the larger more modern ship any day.

Thanks in advance

We've been on both the Triumph and the Fantasy and cruised from NOLA and Mobile. I prefer the Fantasy and have another cruise on her booked out of Mobile next May. The itinerary for my May cruise has us going to Coz and Costa Maya instead of Progreso. There are only a few out of Mobile that go to CM and after being in Progreso a number of times, CM will be a nice change. I prefer the port of NOLA but Mobile isn't bad. We also drive to our cruises and are a couple of hours south of you in the MO bootheel so both ports are convenient. I think the Triumph felt more crowded (on her twice, last time July 2016) and just enjoyed the ambiance of the Fantasy better.

Thanks to all for your replies. Kind of leaning towards the Triumph although it seems in this case "bigger" is not always better":o Bigger means more pax resulting in longer lines throughout...buffet...embarkation/debarkation? Both have really attractive prices in Jan. Thanks again.

The Waterslides are the main reason to pick the Fantasy over the Triumph, since that is not important to you I would suggest the Triumph would be better for you. Triumph has the dive in movie screen, Fantasy does not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would go with the Fantasy out of Mobile. I love the port of Mobile. It is easy to get in and out of the parking deck. Lots of choices of hotels near the cruise terminal. Less expensive port compared to New Orleans prices. I also prefer the Fantasy because it is less crowded, less lines to stand in.

You will love NOLA. We've sailed out of there many times so the newness has kind of worn off. Matter of fact, we normally opt out of staying in NOLA pre cruise and usually book a hotel outside of town (an hour or so) and drive in the day of embarkation. been there at least a dozen times ob CCL and various other "X" ships.

• 3 weeks later...
So when the Fantasy underwent its 2.0 upgrade, was anything done to the cabins or was it all related to the water works, additional restaurants....

The 2.0 upgrades added Guys burgers, red frog rum bar, blue iguana tequila bar, and blue iguana burrito bar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The answers to your question prove that it is all so subjective. You have many different variables here: larger vs smaller, "newer" vs older, NOLA vs Mobile, sailing down the Mississippi vs heading straight into the Gulf.

We loved both the Fantasy and the Triumph. Our first Carnival cruise was on the Fantasy, and we had very low expectations which were vastly surpassed. Our second was also very enjoyable, but the ride was the roughest we've ever had (and most of our fellow passengers said the same). The service was spectacular (our steward became our nurse on a particularly bad day), but that was some years ago and it is likely different now.

When we sailed Triumph, she became my favorite CCL ship (and since then, Sunshine--will Dream take her place?). Triumph is big, but never felt crowded to me. The decor was calm and relaxing. The service wasn't as personal as Fantasy, so although she is a great ship, the Fantasy cruise still felt more special. Since both were out of NOLA, I don't have any comparison there. I absolutely love sailing out of NOLA. Such an easy drive there, and there's nothing like sailing down the Mississippi. It's worth doing at least once.

We are heading back to Fantasy for spring break, and frankly, the Triumph wasn't an option this time because it's way more expensive that particular week, and the whole family is going. It's our first sailing from Mobile--so glad they're back at that port and the options it provides. However, if the prices were comparable, we'd be taking the family on Triumph, mainly because the kids haven't been on a larger ship yet.

Did I confuse you enough? :p

The answers to your question prove that it is all so subjective. You have many different variables here: larger vs smaller, "newer" vs older, NOLA vs Mobile, sailing down the Mississippi vs heading straight into the Gulf.

We loved both the Fantasy and the Triumph. Our first Carnival cruise was on the Fantasy, and we had very low expectations which were vastly surpassed. Our second was also very enjoyable, but the ride was the roughest we've ever had (and most of our fellow passengers said the same). The service was spectacular (our steward became our nurse on a particularly bad day), but that was some years ago and it is likely different now.

When we sailed Triumph, she became my favorite CCL ship (and since then, Sunshine--will Dream take her place?). Triumph is big, but never felt crowded to me. The decor was calm and relaxing. The service wasn't as personal as Fantasy, so although she is a great ship, the Fantasy cruise still felt more special. Since both were out of NOLA, I don't have any comparison there. I absolutely love sailing out of NOLA. Such an easy drive there, and there's nothing like sailing down the Mississippi. It's worth doing at least once.

We are heading back to Fantasy for spring break, and frankly, the Triumph wasn't an option this time because it's way more expensive that particular week, and the whole family is going. It's our first sailing from Mobile--so glad they're back at that port and the options it provides. However, if the prices were comparable, we'd be taking the family on Triumph, mainly because the kids haven't been on a larger ship yet.

Did I confuse you enough? :p

Thanks again for all the input. We went ahead and booked the Fantasy for Jan. 5th.;) Hope they still have hot chocolate at the beverage stations:eek:

• 2 months later...

We were on the Fantasy out of Charleston Nov. 15 and Triumph Nov. 16 out of NOLA, we loved NOLA but preferred the Fantasy over the Triumph. We did enjoy the Alchemy bar on the Triumph but did not like the food in the MDR or the service as much - not nearly as personal.