Does HAL think I'm stupid????

Hflors

Last night in the mail I received a letter from HAL advertising their holiday cruises when I looked at the "sale" price I was amazed. It was the same price that I could get the cruise on the internet any day of the week! Some sale! I love it when a company sends me something like that it just gives mea warm fuzzy feeling that they really care about me as a customer or past passenger. NOT! Did any one else get this "sale" letter? What do you think?

I get so many "special" offer cards, letters, you-name-it, from HAL I don't pay much attention anymore. At first I checked the offered fares against what I could get the same exact cruise for from the providers (both brick and mortar TA's and web based) I use and I can't remember one single time that I couldn't do better or certainly at least as well. There's never been, in my mind, a real incentive from HAL to book directly with them or to take advantage of any of the special or limited offers.

Does HAL think you are stupid? Probably not.

How about a quick lesson in Marketing:

HAL has 10s of thousands of Independent Travel Agents selling cruises for them. These Agents keep HAL in business.What would happen if HAL undercut the prices offered by those agents? The Agents would desert HAL and sell you other cruises where the cruise line companies didn't compete unfairly with them. HAL would lose Millions and go out of business. Or they would have to hire and train thousands of new employees, and build huge expensive call centers so they could sell cruises without travel agents. Then they could raise their prices to cover all the extra expense. Then they would go out of business. Instead of all that nonsense, they offer prices that are usually just a bit higher than the Travel Agents are allowed to charge. (But smart shoppers can usually get more perks in the form of upgrades and credits if they shop CAREFULLY with the cruise line)

Does the Automobile Company think you are stupid when they put the very high sticker price on the window of their new model? They might - if you actually pay the full price.

Does the airline think you are stupid when they quote you a price that is far higher than one you can get from a Travel Agent? They might - if you are naive enough to buy the ticket from them.

Well said, Mr. Gallup. HAL cannot low-ball their pricing. Their advertised "sale" prices will indeed be much the same as TAs can offer you. Just think of it like this: HAL is the department store -- online travel agencies are Wal-Mart.

My concept of marketing 101. It's rather synical.

Advertising/marketing nowadays is little more than Snake Oil salesmen trying to fleece us out of our money by somehow convincing us that it's a good deal. Wether is cruises, cars, or underwear.

Any of this sound familiar? Hurry, last chance to save! End of season savings! Lowest prices of the season, Huge discounts! 13 hour sale! Shop early and save! 20 to 60% off! This weekend only! Blah, Blah, Blah, ad nauseam.

We are constantly bombarded with in your face buy it now opportunities. If we don't act and act now we'll be left out as pitiful losers that missed out on savings.

Sometimes we come away with that feeling that we outsmarted them and that we got a "deal". Perhaps. Perhaps not.

RS

Does HAL think you are stupid? Probably not.

How about a quick lesson in Marketing:

HAL has 10s of thousands of Independent Travel Agents selling cruises for them. These Agents keep HAL in business.What would happen if HAL undercut the prices offered by those agents? The Agents would desert HAL and sell you other cruises where the cruise line companies didn't compete unfairly with them.

Exactly. In fact, Princess only recently put an online booking agent on their website ... from what I understand. But note that Princess, as well as every other line (except perhaps Carnival) will boldly proclaim on that same website and in their advertising "see your travel professional."

The cruise lines know that their advertised fares are higher when you book direct. They *WANT* you to go to your travel agent for the best prices. This way the travel agents will keep a steady flow of passengers coming their way. After all, if it wasn't for those travel agents, there would be an awful lot of ships sailing half empty.

And note too ... in the vast majority of cases, it's those same travel agents that bring in all those nice big groups as well ... the ones like PH. :( Those agents could book such a group on just about any line. To get them on HAL, the cruise line negotiates with the agent for all those group bennies. Fact of life.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well it sounds like the rest of you should have your address taken off of HAL's mailing list. I for one love to get the information I enjoy coming home from a long day at work and escape into the brochures. :D

Hey I like planning ahead. We are set for 2006 and am thinking of 2007. We get information from several lines and I enjoy going through and comparing. Well so for us HAL keep all the mailings coming!!!!!

Kathy

Kathy - It's not so much that I don't want to get the mailings from HAL, they've actually given us some ideas of cruises we might want to take. HAL probably gets more out of the mailings by making folks aware of cruises than it does by people actually booking with them because of the mailings. It's more the business that it's a special offer, at a special price that I was addressing than complaining about the number of mailings.

Direct marketing by Cruise lines and any other business IS effective and that's why they do it. ...it may not be the best way, or only way, that those that post on here are informed of their itineraries, rates, specials etc. etc. as I think you all would agree that everyone on here is "net savvy".

But not every cruise passenger is. Many rely on these mailouts to be "in the know", and they are greatly appreciated.

Kathy - It's not so much that I don't want to get the mailings from HAL, they've actually given us some ideas of cruises we might want to take. HAL probably gets more out of the mailings by making folks aware of cruises than it does by people actually booking with them because of the mailings. It's more the business that it's a special offer, at a special price that I was addressing than complaining about the number of mailings.

OH sorry:( I never use the HAL pricing anyway but it is a base that I do go buy then I get on line.

Kathy

I'm reading a lot of anger in the OP's content, and don't understand any reason for it.

So HAL is sending an e-mail notifying HAL has reduced it's prices on a given cruise. The OP already has gotten that same price from a TA who is not required to charge as much as HAL does. HAL marketing doesn't know how much/little the OP paid. The OP could have paid more or less than the new reduced price. Since the OP's TA gave a price lower than HAL's original price---and that has gone down---the OP can now ask their TA if there's any possibility of a reduction on the TA's end, too.

What's the problem?

I'm reading a lot of anger in the OP's content, and don't understand any reason for it.

Same here. I LOVE getting mailings from HAL, and from other lines ... advertising their featured sailings. I can book with whomever I want ... but even if I can't book, I can always read the brochure and drool. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's been about 30 years since I took a marketing class at college, but I remember that their are different kinds of marketing. Some provide notice of specific things like special pricing and some are intended just to spur your interest in your product. I think HAL should just try to concentrate on the later. A brochure with exciting itineraries and wonderful shipboard photographs is more likely to get my repeat business than advertised prices which can be beat by a few strokes of the keyboard. susana.

(do you think I'll get a free cruise by offering this suggestion?)

I'd agree with Susana. Send me a brochure or flyer announcing some new, special, or exciting itinerary. Get me interested and say something like "For special fares contact HAL or your favorite travel agent." That's about how I treat the mailings anyhow.....

We really would like to use an online travel service but there are so many. How do you know if one is going to come through for you with the prices and maybe some extras. Its tricky enough going through the whole process, lining up the time off, paying the down payment, hoping nothing happens until the cruise time arrives... any help... private message or email if you have a reliable TA to recommend for us to use for a october southern caribbean cruise.

Thanks

jima102250@comcast.net

Last night in the mail I received a letter from HAL advertising their holiday cruises when I looked at the "sale" price I was amazed. It was the same price that I could get the cruise on the internet any day of the week! Some sale! I love it when a company sends me something like that it just gives mea warm fuzzy feeling that they really care about me as a customer or past passenger. NOT! Did any one else get this "sale" letter? What do you think?

Why get all worked up over a letter.

Past passengers are an important group to market future cruises to. Cruise lines know that a large percentage of their future cruisers will be past passengers and they want to stay in touch. We all get the offers all the time, mailings and emails.

Holiday cruises usually are fully booked and there is no need for the cruise line to discount them. Check the price against the same sailing on a non holiday, and most of thje time the holiday crusie is more expensive.

The only substancial "sale" offerings are for the "last minute" sailings. Sign up for those notifications and you will get substancial savings.

There is no need to discount unless the cruise will sail without a full ship.

We really would like to use an online travel service but there are so many. How do you know if one is going to come through for you with the prices and maybe some extras. Its tricky enough going through the whole process, lining up the time off, paying the down payment, hoping nothing happens until the cruise time arrives... any help... private message or email if you have a reliable TA to recommend for us to use for a october southern caribbean cruise.

Thanks

jima102250@comcast.net

I'm a TA for a fairly high volume cruise only online agency. (I don't use these boards to secure clients though, and do prefer to remain rather anonymous).

I suggest that when "interviewing" possible agents, check: how long they've been in business and if they are registered with the BBB online, if they are a cruise agency (as opposed to general travel), if they provide personal service (or are a reservations desk), if there are any cancellation or change fees imposed by the agency over and above what the cruise line might charge, if there are any service fees or hidden costs, what awards or recognition the agent or agency has recently received from reputable industry partners... those are the basics anyways.

Good luck.

Good suggestions Mr_Cruise

It's also enlightening to find out how many of the employees (counselors) in a bricks and mortar agency (cruise only or otherwise) have actually cruised and on which ships. Awards and recognition can come because of group bookings - does not mean your counselor has 'been there, done that'!

It's also enlightening to find out how many of the employees (counselors) in a bricks and mortar agency (cruise only or otherwise) have actually cruised and on which ships. Awards and recognition can come because of group bookings - does not mean your counselor has 'been there, done that'!

I don't think HAL thinks you are stupid at all! I think it's just a marketing strategy to keep their name in front of you (us, the general public). It's really not an uncommon practice if you think about it. So many companies pretend that have something wonderful to offer, over and beyond the ordinary, but it is rarely anything exceptional. The key for companies is to keep their name in front of you, especially because there is so much competition out there. JMHO!

Disney does have a huge call center plus all the TA business. Normally, there is a set price that is no different no matter where you book since Disney doesn't normally discount. However frequent travelers can get a snail postcard or now an e-card (which I got a day after booking this cruise) that gives you a lower rate. Always off season but can be a giant discount. This one is 89 for a moderate hotel onsite.

This is a nice perk for guests and makes you notice the other postcards they send.

Disney did offer a very good off-season package this year for the first time, and the postcards mostly stopped.

all the mentioned reasons and lets remember also that RCI won't allow discounts anymore either - the website price is what the TAs offer so no advantage. I agree with the reason they send out 'stuff' is simply to keep their name out there..Fact of life in a commercially based economy..and applies to most businesses - that said, I like being reminded of cruising and looking at what may be new itineraries. Feel like Hflors sometimes though..!

Happy cruisin' (as if it cld be anything else right?)

Archived