question regarding kids travel with just one parent

luckyinpa

it's my thread so i may as well ask another question regarding another person

i know someone in a custody thing right now. they are going for primary custody of the child vs 50 50 they have now. if they have primary custody do they still need the other parents permission to take the child on cruise. i can just visualize one parent being spiteful and not leting the child go on the cruise to be evil. or does this kind of thing happen all the time?

it's my thread so i may as well ask another question regarding another person

i know someone in a custody thing right now. they are going for primary custody of the child vs 50 50 they have now. if they have primary custody do they still need the other parents permission to take the child on cruise. i can just visualize one parent being spiteful and not leting the child go on the cruise to be evil. or does this kind of thing happen all the time?

For this issue, I may tell the friend to have travel abroad or on cruises specifically listed in the Primary Custody paper. If this is currently being worked on, why not ask to have it added. I've read about many issues of parents being "difficult" but of course don't know the full stories, just the one side being talked about. So if I were your friend, I'd try to cover myself for any and all travels

We cruised a couple of times when my daughter was a minor. They never checked the paperwork while I had the same last name as her. They did ask for the forms (which we had) after I remarried and had a different last name than her. Better safe than sorry!!

Most of the time we try to have a notarized letter stating the other parent is aware of travel, but there has never been a time they requested it. Just recently on our NCL cruise we were not able to get in touch with DS mother, but as usual no one asked for it. DS shares the same last name as my husband (mom has a different last name clearly listed on birth certificate), so I don’t know if that’s why they bypass it. I think it becomes more of an issue if you’re not on a closed-loop cruise and disembarking in another country. Of course its best to have it if possible, but if you cant I wouldn't stress it.

Edited by Islandsunrise

additional info: the father isnt listed on the B/C so now i guess this is not even an issue

Yep, I think you pretty much answered your own question here.

But, I will talk about your original question and my personal experience. Probably 10 years ago when I first applied for my son's passport. I tried to do as much research as possible. Now some of this info is from memory and as I said, personal experience.

I remember there being a section on the Passport application that allowed for the parent asking for the passport to provide proof that basically the other parent was not or is not in the picture. I don't remember the proof required, but I thought I may have to go that route.

I then looked at my custody papers that I had gotten maybe a year prior. All states may be a little different and I'm not a lawyer so don't know the legal terms, but I was able to submit a certified copy of custody papers (since they had been filed with the jurisdiction and state, or where ever required to file by law.) At the time of having the custody papers completed, I guess I had a pretty ok attorney, who know the laws of our state pretty well. Or I should say, worked out for me in a positive way.

My papers state I have full legal and primary physical custody of my son. His father would have temporary custody for a designated 2 weeks out of the year (basically 2 weeks beginning the day after Christmas) He also has the right to visitation a weekend each month and 2 weeks each summer. The father and I live in 2 different states. There was sufficient information in my custody agreement, that I was able to get the Passport for my son without the other parent's consent.

Finally,

Every time I travel, cruise or otherwise, I carry my son's passport and a copy of the birth certificate and a copy of the custody papers. We do have different last names

I have never been asked for any documentation on any cruise and never while traveling in Continental Europe. Only one time did any official question and that was when we were about to leave Iceland on our way to Europe. The official asked who we were to each other. My son, age 12 at the time said I was his mother. Different names so he asked me for proof. I produced a copy of the birth certificate and custody papers. He looked at them and then let us leave the country and go on to the plane for Europe.

I have absolutely no problem with carrying a few extra copies of papers with me. Or taking the time to get said papers before traveling. Strange things happen in this world and if my child was ever abducted, I would want that Iceland official to be the official at every boarder crossing and entry/exit of a country to help keep my child safe

here's something interesting. i glanced over this part on NCL

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

The following documents must be supplied at the pier during check-in:

in both cases i mentioned above, the minors would be with their mother with the same last name. but the male in the group would be different last name. so my guess is that if you are one parent with same last name then the form i mentioned above is not necessary at all. just that you are with someone over 21. i did run into disembark at bermuda and kid went in different line to get off the ship and the officer said who are you with. that mom was in line with me and yelled he is mine!

Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

i know no one here can give legal advice but now that i know what i know,i'm confident NCL has no issue with one parent and a child. however that child has dad that is bat crazy. state cops have been at his house so often they get frequent flyer miles.

the current custody agreement only states that you must notify the other parent if you take kid out of the county more than 3 days and give address and phone number

by strict interpretation, that means you can take the kid anywhere as long as you give the name and address of where you are going. but reality is he would call the FBI and do whatever he had to in order to prevent his child from going on that ship even though the custody order doesnt say its not allowed. he would take her and keep her holed up in the house at custody exchange and who knows what else. its a shame.

this is part of what the new order will have to address however it will take a year to get a new order in place. justice is slow.

next question:

i'm assuming from the NCL page proving citizenship that the only thing kids need to get on board is a birth certificate but i wanted to be sure.

but they sure dont have licenses at age 8 :)

i do know their mom would just use state ID and birth certificate as she has no passport.

NCL changed that age FAQ page in late October to now include a requirement for itineraries including Canadian ports that unless both parents are sailing a (preferably notarized) letter will be required. I expect when the Canadian itineraries start back up there will be heavier enforcement. I would think a birth certificate showing no other parent will also suffice.

next question:

i'm assuming from the NCL page proving citizenship that the only thing kids need to get on board is a birth certificate but i wanted to be sure.

but they sure dont have licenses at age 8 :)

i do know their mom would just use state ID and birth certificate as she has no passport.

Read the page:

"*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID."

Have cruised at least 8 times with my son after I remarried on several different cruise lines including NCL. They ALWAYS!!! ask for paperwork because my last name is now different than his. I witnessed last year a family not allowed to board because they did not have the correct paperwork (copy of fathers license and notary signed forms) faxed in time .

NCL changed that age FAQ page in late October to now include a requirement for itineraries including Canadian ports that unless both parents are sailing a (preferably notarized) letter will be required. I expect when the Canadian itineraries start back up there will be heavier enforcement. I would think a birth certificate showing no other parent will also suffice.

Really, I called NCL a few days ago and the young lady stated if the child was with one parent, nothing was needed from the other parent. Permission would be needed if child was traveling with no parent.

I'll have to check out the web site.

Really, I called NCL a few days ago and the young lady stated if the child was with one parent, nothing was needed from the other parent. Permission would be needed if child was traveling with no parent.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Not saying they won't allow you to go, but CBP can detain you until they are satisfied as to the circumstances if they choose to. And it is possible you'd miss the sailing.

I called NCL a few days ago and the young lady stated if the child was with one parent, nothing was needed from the other parent. Permission would be needed if child was traveling with no parent.