Westerdam, America's Test Kitchen

niceguyneastbay

Anyone been on the Westerdam and participated in the ATK since it has started?

Yes. I wrote a bit about it on the Live thread for the cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414153

Couldn't get into the hands on workshop because it was filled by five star Mariners who get free classes. The TV shows play 24/7 on one of the TV channels in the cabin.

e2f435b19f78b4c287290296b314048a.jpg

We were on with AQ when the first ATK started on the Westerdam. We arrived early as we knew it would be busy. BUT-it was obvious they did not expect it to be SO busy. They had to bring out chairs and put them in front of everyone that had arrived early sitting in or near the front.

The presentation was good & we did get to try a dish. I think the next day they did not have samples. They ran out of recipe handouts too.

Hopefully it will be more organized as time goes on. We didn't even try to sign up for the hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you know if the hands-on includes lunch the way it did in the Culinary Center?

Who does the cooking at the demo, one of the ship's chefs, or a special Test Kitchen chef?

I believe the hands on class includes lunch but don't know for sure. As for the demo, it is done by an ATK chef. There wasn't a CAC Hostess on the Westerdam for our cruise; no more Sip & Savor or any other demos/presentations that used to be hosted by a CAC Hostess. Basically, there was no CAC, just ATK which was transformed into the BB King Blues Club in the evening.

The ATK demos took place once a day on sea days and lasted about 45 minutes. I only made it to one of the demos, the one on chocolate (I have my priorities!). It was quite enjoyable but incredibly crowded as previously mentioned. That time they did seem to have enough samples for everyone, in spite of the numbers. The other two presentations were about pasta/olive oil and salmon, IIRC. The chocolate one was repeated on the second segment of our cruise.

I believe the hands on class includes lunch but don't know for sure. As for the demo, it is done by an ATK chef. There wasn't a CAC Hostess on the Westerdam for our cruise; no more Sip & Savor or any other demos/presentations that used to be hosted by a CAC Hostess. Basically, there was no CAC, just ATK which was transformed into the BB King Blues Club in the evening.

The ATK demos took place once a day on sea days and lasted about 45 minutes. I only made it to one of the demos, the one on chocolate (I have my priorities!). It was quite enjoyable but incredibly crowded as previously mentioned. That time they did seem to have enough samples for everyone, in spite of the numbers. The other two presentations were about pasta/olive oil and salmon, IIRC. The chocolate one was repeated on the second segment of our cruise.

The CAC hostess on the cruise before yours was finishing her contract. This is a great loss if HAL pitches this position.

She was a great hostess: we thought she was early in her contract, not on the last cruise of it, because she was very enthusiastic, personable and such a hard worker. She had many events going on during the day and early evening and always had a smile.

Edited by SilvertoGold

The CAC hostess on the cruise before yours was finishing her contract. This is a great loss if HAL pitches this position.

She was a great hostess: we thought she was early in her contract, not on the last cruise of it, because she was very enthusiastic, personable and such a hard worker. She had many events going on during the day and early evening and always had a smile.

That's good to know. I don't know that the CAC hostess position is gone. Since the Westerdam is currently the only ship with ATK, it's hard to say if the position will be terminated fleet wide as ATK is implemented. I guess only time will tell.