Filling in credit card info - CAD

As an example, a typical bank in New Zealand charges a 2.25% conversion fee and the conversion fee for a New Zealander from RCL is 2.50%. So, I tick the box to not convert. Also, with my credit card I get double points for purchases not in NZD.

Edited by MrYellowDuck

Thanks that's what I thought but thought I better ask

It's also a good idea to check with Guest Services sometime during the cruise and confirm they know you want the bank to make the conversion. From time to time people report that the cruise line somehow misses the guest's conversion preference.

I have a USD visa from TD, so the last thing I want is royal converting to CAD (because they think that is what I want) and then TD converting from CAD to USD because I used a USD card. lol.

If your card is CAD, best to let your bank do the conversion when it is charged to your visa/mc.

I believe You also have the option to settle up your card with cash if that is a better option for you.

To know for sure it is best to find out the service fee for conversion from your bank (this is how much they charge to do the conversion, not the exchange rate itself). For example, Visa may charge 2.5% whereas the last time I cruised with RC, they charged 3%.

Make sure when you check in that they have the correct preference on your account as well. Three of the last four times, they billed me in CDN, meaning they did the conversion for me, despite me asking to be billed in USD.

Like Amazon cc, the Marriott visa doesn't charge the extra fees either. When on Harmony this summer, I checked twice with GR, as others had indicated that there was often a mix up with this, and in spite of being assured it would be charged in US, they converted anyway. We were fortunate and did not have this problem, though when checking in I made the reservation as a cash account, and then went to talk to GR on arrival and it was all good.