Private guides at Herculaneum

Casey2

We are looking into spending a few hours at Herculaneum in May. Are there private guides available at the site as there are at Pompeii or does a guide have to be arranged in advance?

When I last visited (about 3 years ago), you could rent an audio guide or hire a private guide at the desk. I'm assuming that the same still holds true.

We were just there 2 weeks ago, there was a person in the lobby where you buy tickets offering a 1 hour tour for $100E. Offering to get together as many people as you wanted, to lower the cost per person.

But you would have to solicit folks to join in the tour, and don't know if you want to waste your time doing so.

There was an audio tour available for $7-8E, but the sign on the window stated "be back shortly". Great.

We opted to just venture on our own. There are posts letting you know what you are looking at.

Rick Steves' has info in his books, and possible a downloadable tour you can use.

I would recommend 2-3 hours to see everything, without rushing. 1 hour is a fast walk through, without time for looking at things.

:cool:

As stated, there are guides -- but not as many as at Pompeii so you are somewhat at the mercy of their schedule. They may be engaged with another group when you arrive.

I recommend having a plan B -- either rent the audioguide, ask for the detailed brochure with information (or print something out in advance, this map and guide, for example at the official website: http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=MAPS+AND+GUIDE&idSezione=6796) or bring a guidebook with you.

We had a guide included in our tour of Herculaneum. The tour was arranged through the Roll Call section of Cruise Critic. Without the guide I don't think we would have enjoyed our tour so much. The guide can not only give you an insight into what happened so many years ago, but can also keep an eye on the number of tourists in the sight and move you to a quieter area to beat the crowds.

p.s. go early!