Carnival Triumph, let's hear the good tips

KmomChicago

Hi, there experienced and positive-minded cruisers. We are taking the Triumph from NOLA next spring. Picked it because the port and dates worked with spring break schedule for a reasonable price. Travelling with husband and daughter (11 yo) who have never cruised and have been itching to try out their sea legs. It's been 15 years since my last cruise. We booked an outside cabin on deck 2 aft right by the stairs up to the dining room.

I have a lot of nitty gritty questions, but starting with shore excursions:

1. Kiddo wants to do dolphin swim in Cozumel (I would accompany) but hubby might want to go off alone and do the zipline. Is there any reason why separating is an issue?

No one seems interested in the long bus rides to the ruins from Progreso (I already knocked Chichen Itza off my bucket list years ago, so this is fine with me)

2. Reviews of the reef club resort day trip make me question why it's any better than just staying on the ship and enjoying their lunch and pools for free. Which would be a better option?

3. Alternatively, there is a dune buggy tour that looks intriguing, but would want to know a little more about it. For instance, it says there are 4 people to a buggy. If my husband can't drive his buggy, he ain't going, and that's the end of that story. We are not sitting in the back seat while someone else drives. Can we get a guarantee on that? Has anyone had a good experience with this experience?

4. If we do the buggies and leave kiddo at Club Ocean, what is there for a Shark to do all day while we're gone?

I have lots of follow up questions but these are the burning concerns for now. Thanks in advance. Love, Kmom.

Premiere Royale - mid '80's

Premiere Oceanic / Big Red Boat 1 - '90's

Disney Magic - twice late '90's (cast discount)

Celebrity Millennium - October 2001

Been to Progreso many times. There are closer ruins, Dzibchaltun and there is a cenote you can swim in there. Not as impressive as Uxmal or Chichen Itza but still fun. Also, I've been to the Reef Club twice and it's an ok place to hag. The beach is nice enough and there are no vendors there right on the beach. I've done all these tours through AutoProgreso for much less than Carnival and never had a problem. They have a store front on the left side as you walk through the pier and you can purchase excursions there which is what we've always done.

I personally stay on in Progresso and enjoy the ship. On the buggy rides typically do not do guarantees whoever gets there first that can drive a stick and sits in the driver seat drives and they fill the buggies 4 to a car. So if you have 4 in your group and another 2 person comes along they will go with you. One reason we book the ones in other ports that allow us to drive just the 2 of us. If there are no other 2 person or singles though it will be just the 2 of you.

Coz is totally fine to split up even if you aren't doing ship excursions. I recently went to Coz with my kids, DH stayed home this trip and we just grabbed a taxi and went to Playa Mia and spent the day there, came back did some shopping and then back to the ship. It's such an easy place to get around and very tourist friendly.

Triumph is the ship we were just on. Had a great time. Mine are too old for the kids clubs so can't help there, they are older teens.

We are cruising on the Triumph in 24 days 18 hrs 3 mins (we are not counting or anything)

We booked in Cozumel the VIP dolphin swim & progresso we are just doing the reef club.

I'll be sure to post our thoughts and do a picture/video review about the ship and travels on general when we get back. YouTube has been a great feature on findings info on triumph.

On the buggy rides typically do not do guarantees whoever gets there first that can drive a stick and sits in the driver seat drives and they fill the buggies 4 to a car. So if you have 4 in your group and another 2 person comes along they will go with you.

Thank you for the details. We can both drive stick shifts but would not be happy getting stuck in the back seat. Not worth the risk for us.

We are cruising on the Triumph in 24 days 18 hrs 3 mins (we are not counting or anything)

We booked in Cozumel the VIP dolphin swim & progresso we are just doing the reef club.

I'll be sure to post our thoughts and do a picture/video review about the ship and travels on general when we get back. YouTube has been a great feature on findings info on triumph.

Yes we are counting as well - the Carnival countdown banner every time I visit the website helps! This poor ship has some really poor reviews but here on the boards many people love her so it is refreshing to see the majority enjoy her. I will watch for your review and excursion info after your cruise. Have a great time!

Edited by KmomChicago
quote was messed up; add another quote

We booked the Technotel all inclusive in the Progreso downtown terminal for $35 per person. We thought that it was a nice day.

When we returned to the Port of New Orleans, we used the baggage storage at the port. They actually took the bags to the airport for a very reasonable charge. We walked to town from there.

For dolphins, I would recommend Chankanaab park; you can book on line (just indicate which hotel you might be staying at) for 1/2 the cost of the cruise line. It includes the day admission to the park, beyond whichever dolphin program you have chosen. They also have a small zip line that might satisfy DH as well. In addition, they have a beach, nice snorkeling from shore (the beach is up on a reef) a place for food an drinks, trails for walking and some Mayan type structures, a natural lagoon with all kinds of fish and iguanas, and a small reptile exhibit. And even if DH wants to zip line elsewhere, it is only a 15 minute ride max from the pier and he could join after.

Thank you for the reply regarding Progreso. Good to know the Reef Club is worth the trip and the cenote may be a good option as well. I appreciate the info!

We enjoyed Dzibchaltun w/cenote. Didn't swim but had the fish pedicure, which was interesting.

Zip line may be an option for you. Minimum age is 8.

Enjoy!!!

Dolphin is fantastic and everyone should do it once.

FYI the aft pool on Triumph is not adults only like the other ships so there is more family pool space. We were actually disappointed by this. Our kids are older so we like having a Marco Polo Free pool. But now we know and choose accordingly. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take a walk all the way forward on decks 10, 9, 7, and 6 and walk through the "secret doors". You will be at the very front of the ship to see a different type of view. (Hang on to your hat, it's windy out there!) ;)

Thanks for the tip! We have a balcony on the 10th forward.

• 1 month later...
Take a walk all the way forward on decks 10, 9, 7, and 6 and walk through the "secret doors". You will be at the very front of the ship to see a different type of view. (Hang on to your hat, it's windy out there!) ;)

We will absolutely do this. Wind or no wind, these secret private moments are right up our alley! Thanks for the tip.

Dolphin is fantastic and everyone should do it once.

FYI the aft pool on Triumph is not adults only like the other ships so there is more family pool space. We were actually disappointed by this. Our kids are older so we like having a Marco Polo Free pool. But now we know and choose accordingly. Have fun!

Yes, I did see that this is one of the few Carnival ships without an adult serenity area. This will be my husband and our tween's first cruise (they have both been asking for a year or so now) and being a particularly kid-centered ship is a benefit for us at the moment. Certainly it would not be the right fit for everyone. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

We done a buggy excursion with an outside company just my son and I and I drove the whole time and the tour guides sat in the back seat....if my wife and daughter wanted to go he guides would have drove a seperate car in front of us..

http://cozumelbestexcursions dot com

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Edited by Fireman9302

We done a buggy excursion with an outside company just my son and I and I drove the whole time and the tour guides sat in the back seat....if my wife and daughter wanted to go he guides would have drove a seperate car in front of us..

http://cozumelbestexcursions dot com

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the information! -Kmom

We will absolutely do this. Wind or no wind, these secret private moments are right up our alley! Thanks for the tip.

Not sure what you have in mind, but those decks are not all that secret and not all that private!

:D

We did Progresso and Cozumel on the Triumph a year ago. Did the Dzibchaltun ruins and cenote in Progresso and my daughter did the dolphin swim at Chankanaab while the rest of us went snorkeling. I would recommend all of it! The ruins and cenote were a last second decision and I'm so glad we did. I was skeptical about that port after reading other reviews, but it was great. It was our first cruise so not much to compare the ship to, but again, we were pleased. I know it's been to dry dock since then, so it should be even better now!

Hi, there experienced and positive-minded cruisers. We are taking the Triumph from NOLA next spring. Picked it because the port and dates worked with spring break schedule for a reasonable price. Travelling with husband and daughter (11 yo) who have never cruised and have been itching to try out their sea legs. It's been 15 years since my last cruise. We booked an outside cabin on deck 2 aft right by the stairs up to the dining room.

I have a lot of nitty gritty questions, but starting with shore excursions:

1. Kiddo wants to do dolphin swim in Cozumel (I would accompany) but hubby might want to go off alone and do the zipline. Is there any reason why separating is an issue?

No one seems interested in the long bus rides to the ruins from Progreso (I already knocked Chichen Itza off my bucket list years ago, so this is fine with me)

2. Reviews of the reef club resort day trip make me question why it's any better than just staying on the ship and enjoying their lunch and pools for free. Which would be a better option?

3. Alternatively, there is a dune buggy tour that looks intriguing, but would want to know a little more about it. For instance, it says there are 4 people to a buggy. If my husband can't drive his buggy, he ain't going, and that's the end of that story. We are not sitting in the back seat while someone else drives. Can we get a guarantee on that? Has anyone had a good experience with this experience?

4. If we do the buggies and leave kiddo at Club Ocean, what is there for a Shark to do all day while we're gone?

I have lots of follow up questions but these are the burning concerns for now. Thanks in advance. Love, Kmom.

Premiere Royale - mid '80's

Premiere Oceanic / Big Red Boat 1 - '90's

Disney Magic - twice late '90's (cast discount)

Celebrity Millennium - October 2001

If you do the dolphin swim excursion through Carnival, bring you patience. There will be a lot of people on that excursion, and they use taxis to get you there. Imagine 200 people all herded together trying to be the the first group to get on a taxi. And then once you are there, they assign you to a group. Don't fret if you get group 17...it does not matter.

In fact, just go with the flow...why? Because amazingly everybody gets into the dolphin pens at the same time. Being first on the taxi, or being in group 1 does not get you in the water first, or give you more time with the dolphins, etc. Seems the people on the taxi first or in group one were a bit miffed about this. And of course little kids get all frustrated being "last". And know there is plenty of mediocre at best food for all at the end.

We did this excursion and just laid back and watched the masses try to out do each other...added some entertainment to the whole trip. As for the time with the Dolphins, just depends which particular excursion you book. It will seem too short and too expensive no matter which one, but in the end, you will be glad you did it.

Not sure what you have in mind, but those decks are not all that secret and not all that private!

:D

Ha! Don't worry; we were young once, but these days we are strictly G-rated people. I just mean we like to get away from the noise and swarming crowds around the main pool and deck areas now and then.