Livorno to Florence

CTLeeA

We'll be on the Sea March 5 and a Viking transfer to Florence doesn't appear yet on the shore excursion list for Livorno. Those of who who have been at this port with Viking: do they offer it and do they offer a transfer into Livorno?

I would think it's rather unlikely that Viking offer a free transfer from Livorno to Florence....it's just too far away. They will probably do a Florence On Your Own paid tour.

The shuttle bus depends where your ship berths in Livorno. If you are in an outer berth then yes, one will be provided. If you are in The Coastguard Station berth for smaller ships, then it is an easy walk into Livorno town centre.

I would think it's rather unlikely that Viking offer a free transfer from Livorno to Florence....it's just too far away. They will probably do a Florence On Your Own paid tour.

The shuttle bus depends where your ship berths in Livorno. If you are in an outer berth then yes, one will be provided. If you are in The Coastguard Station berth for smaller ships, then it is an easy walk into Livorno town centre.

Right, the "shuttle bus" to Florence is the "On Your Own" shorex and it has never been available as a free service. But, it is still a lot cheaper than private car service--and won't suffer from strikes like the trains.

We probably should stop confusing people by calling it a "shuttle" because it has to be booked in advance and because it offers only one departure time and one return time.

If isn't being offered on your sailing, then write to tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them that you are very upset that Viking sponsored transportation is not being offered to Florence and that you hope that they will add it immediately.

Right, the "shuttle bus" to Florence is the "On Your Own" shorex and it has never been available as a free service. But, it is still a lot cheaper than private car service--and won't suffer from strikes like the trains.

We probably should stop confusing people by calling it a "shuttle" because it has to be booked in advance and because it offers only one departure time and one return time.

If isn't being offered on your sailing, then write to tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them that you are very upset that Viking sponsored transportation is not being offered to Florence and that you hope that they will add it immediately.

Thanks for your input, everyone but my question was addressed to those who have actually been on a Viking Ocean cruise which ported at Livorno. I would expect to have to pay to get to Florence but under the list of Viking excursions at that port, a transfer to Florence isn't offered. My question is asking if it was offered on your Viking Ocean cruise, at Livorno, even tho it might not have been listed online.

Many thanks.

We were on the Mediterranean Odyssey 110/4-10/16 on the Viking Sea. There was a shuttle into Livorno but none into Florence.

Becki

Thanks, Becki...We're going in March and some of the third party tour companies will start a Livorno-Florence run in April...I'll call Viking, even tho in the past, I've been given some conflicting info from them.

Thanks, Becki...We're going in March and some of the third party tour companies will start a Livorno-Florence run in April...I'll call Viking, even tho in the past, I've been given some conflicting info from them.

If you want to book a private transfer from Livorno to Florence we know an excellent driver called Paolo. We have used his service many, many times over the years and he is wonderful. He has a seven seater Mercedes van and I'm sure it would work out far less expensive for you than a ship tour, plus you can decide on your own timings etc. His email is:-

info@unforgettabletuscany.com

We were on the Mediterranean Odyssey 110/4-10/16 on the Viking Sea. There was a shuttle into Livorno but none into Florence.

Becki

You are most welcome. But, if you are hoping to take a shuttle from your Viking ship to Livorno and then a private shuttle from Livorno-Florence and back, be mindful of your timing. The Viking shuttles had, for me anyway :rolleyes: , somewhat different schedules. They left the port every half hour on the half-hour and the return trip from town was then every half-hour on the quarter hour. Got it? ;) Of course, I don't know that's how they will do it in the future. :) And, the drop-off/pick-up was at only one point. But, we did have a good time in Livorno, even with rain, and we were glad we took advantage of the shuttle.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you. We had a great time in both ports.

Becki

If you want to book a private transfer from Livorno to Florence we know an excellent driver called Paolo. We have used his service many, many times over the years and he is wonderful. He has a seven seater Mercedes van and I'm sure it would work out far less expensive for you than a ship tour, plus you can decide on your own timings etc. His email is:-

info@unforgettabletuscany.com

Just to help you plan.

Viking's pricing is subject to change but they are asking $79pp on our cruise for the Florence OYO. The bus drops you off 10 minutes walk from Sta. Croce and it is 9 hours door-to-door.

Edited by Peregrina651

Just to help you plan.

Viking's pricing is subject to change but they are asking $79pp on our cruise for the Florence OYO. The bus drops you off 10 minutes walk from Sta. Croce and it is 9 hours door-to-door.

Well, that is interesting, Peregrina. My TA called Viking today (they wouldn't say much more to me than hello since I have a TA) and Viking told her they do not provide a Livorno-Florence OYO. Would you please tell me which cruise you'll be on and the date so she can call them up again? Is there a link you have to that description or if you can do a cut and paste, I would much appreciate it...my address is pauli5500at yahoo dot com.

Also, is it the train station in Florence they'll drop you off at?

You may want to take a look at this website: http://www.tuscanybus.com/

This bus worked perfectly for me last year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you very much...I did check their web site but there is no availability on the day we'll be there...I did email them and asked them about the specific date but they haven't responded yet.

Well, that is interesting, Peregrina. My TA called Viking today (they wouldn't say much more to me than hello since I have a TA) and Viking told her they do not provide a Livorno-Florence OYO. Would you please tell me which cruise you'll be on and the date so she can call them up again? Is there a link you have to that description or if you can do a cut and paste, I would much appreciate it...my address is pauli5500at yahoo dot com.

Also, is it the train station in Florence they'll drop you off at?

Contact the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask about it. Ive aiways done better talking with them.

Contact the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask about it. Ive aiways done better talking with them.

I have tried that. They will only discuss just about anything with my travel agent. As I wrote before, my TA has been told by them that they don't offer the Livorno-Florence OYO excursion you have available to you. I don't need your name or sailing date, but if could provide me with a link to that particular tour or a cut and paste of it, my TA can have something to challenge them with.

If you'd rather not do here, my email address is pauli5500 at yahoo dot com. thanks.