Status of Millennium Drydock?

Brucemcdou

I just got an email from my contact in 'resolution'. The number to call for questions was incorrect in the letter :confused:

the number to call is 1-888-281-9343

i called this number and the nice lady I spoke with said they will try to call people tonight with the hotel info.

Okay, we watched the Millie hovering off the coast of something all day. The same little patch of land appeared off and on from about 2:00 until it got dark. Now, it's nearly pitch black.

I've seen a lot of webcams of ships docked at night. Shouldn't there be some sort of light if it was in fact at a pier???? There's nothing but a little light glowing on the bow.

I feel your pain, Millie cruisers! We were in the same predicament with the waiting and wondering if our ship was going to be ready after she drydocked in San Francisco. This was the Infinity at the end of March. Thanks to Floris, we were able to find out when the ship arrived and when they started the drydock.

I am glad that Celebrity is doing what they can for the passengers. This drydock will have cost them a small fortune as I am sure, in addition to getting all the materials shipped to the new drydock yard, the dockyards would take a large deposit, somewhere in the realm of $650,000 or more. My guess that they had to scramble to find a dockyard that could accomodate the size of the Millie. So in addition to losing the deposit, they have to send a new deposit to the new shipyard.

This is going to wind up being one of the most expensive drydocks ever if they can't reclaim their deposit.

Anita

Safein - to add insult to injury for Celebrity, initially Celebrity sold the transatlantic as part of a back to back departing to Ft. Lauderdale on 11/6, and the drydock was supposed to be in FLL after arrival. They changed the drydock to Marseille, which delayed the trans, changed the itinerary, and upset a lot of folks who had planned the 25 day back to back as it was now broken up.

Looks like that decision has come back to bite them twice!

Amy

:confused: Hi,

Well....things are getting even more strange.

As at 8.43am, Nov 9th, she appears to be at sea again, a bit of a swell, no land in sight unlike Nov 8th which she spent apparently at anchor within sight of some land. Not displaying the typical '' anchor/tender'' ball, only flying her own flag; unlike yesterday when she was displaying the '' at anchor'' ball.

Even Celebrity certainly was not counting on her being still no closer to a shipyard a good 72 hours after leaving BCN.....

What a tough bind they're in now....

Where the h*** is she now anyways ???

CG:eek:

Okay, we watched the Millie hovering off the coast of something all day. The same little patch of land appeared off and on from about 2:00 until it got dark. Now, it's nearly pitch black.

I've seen a lot of webcams of ships docked at night. Shouldn't there be some sort of light if it was in fact at a pier???? There's nothing but a little light glowing on the bow.

;) Hi,

First thing : find a shipyard !!!!! From the look of it, as at 8.43am nov 9th, she's still at sea !!!! 72 hours after leaving Barcelona, allegedly needing aprox 52 hours to make it to LaCorina, Spain....

Then, who knows now.....

Cheers

CG

What are they doing to her for dry dock?

:D Hi,

LAND LAND LAND......as at 9.17am, she's now in calm waters, sunny, very close to shore, and a tug is closing in on her port side....

It's happening....!!!

Over 72 hours to get there, wherever that is.....

Cheers

CG

:)

I feel your pain, Millie cruisers! We were in the same predicament with the waiting and wondering if our ship was going to be ready after she drydocked in San Francisco. This was the Infinity at the end of March. Thanks to Floris, we were able to find out when the ship arrived and when they started the drydock.

I am glad that Celebrity is doing what they can for the passengers. This drydock will have cost them a small fortune as I am sure, in addition to getting all the materials shipped to the new drydock yard, the dockyards would take a large deposit, somewhere in the realm of $650,000 or more. My guess that they had to scramble to find a dockyard that could accomodate the size of the Millie. So in addition to losing the deposit, they have to send a new deposit to the new shipyard.

This is going to wind up being one of the most expensive drydocks ever if they can't reclaim their deposit.

Anita

$650,000 is chump change to celebrity. I hope it cost them a lot, and i mean A LOT more than that. I hope they had to sign a contract giving the drydock company to do anything they want, without recourse.

There's another cost: It has cost them my business because of they way this whole mess has been handled.

ahoymatey3,

Please change your attitude towards Celebrity! I understand probably a lot more than you the whole business of ships and drydock having been in the shipping business for 12 years and have seen a good number of these bills from the shipowner's side.

Unless you change you're whole thinking when you finally get aboard the Millie, you'll be setting yourself up for a bad time. Personally, I would never take a cruise directly after a drydock. At least it was known that the ship was going to drydock well before you cruise. Imagine how we felt when we heard the Infinity was going to drydock on an emergency to repair those stupid pods. They cancelled the sailing right before ours. We didn't even know if they were going to have the ship ready in time! That's why I can understand the frustration you're feeling right now.

And yes, we too had to fly to our embarkation port which was in Hawaii. We were there for 2 days not knowing if the ship was going to be there on time.

Anita

We just got off of the Millennium in Barcelona on Nov 6th. She was in good shape with need of minor cosmetic replacements. No complaints from us. There was talk that she was not going to Marseilles as planned for dry dock due to the riots in Nice and was, instead, going to drydock in Spain. But that was only rumor. Our feeling is that drydock can only make a wonderful ship better. Those of you sailing on her soon - enjoy! We look forward to sailing on her as soon as we can - it was a wonderful cruise.

Oh no, Anita! Did you bite your fingernails down to a nub waiting? I think Ahoymatey is upset mostly because he's a solo traveler, and it's a lot harder to manage trip inconveniences when you don't feel like you have someone else in it with you. Also, he is coming in three or four days early already, so another two nights in BCN isn't as appealing. Don't worry AM3, we'll all scoop you up and carry you along with us!

Thanks for the report Spengle! I can't wait to board and see what's what. I've been on the Infinity, so I'll be excited to see the differences.

We just got the following email from our travel agent. It's thefirst that I've heard that the engine has anything to do with the drydock. I have no idea if this means anything, but I thought I'd put it out there.

"The following information in unconfirmed. This means an employee at Celebrity has verbally informed us of the information, but we only count it as confirmed once we have the official fax/email from RCCL management.

"Because of delays in installing the new engine pods the ship will now sail on November 20 instead of November 18.

"ALL passengers will be given hotel rooms in Barcelona for the nights of November 18 & 19.

"All passengers will receive a 20% refund of the base cabin fare paid. No refund on port charges, taxes, airfare, etc.

"All passengers will receive a full refund on shore excursions for cancelled ports

"All passengers will receive a $200.00 onboard credit

"The above information in unconfirmed. This means an employee at Celebrity has verbally informed us of the information, but we only count it as confirmed once we have the official fax/email from RCCL management."

Ray Weiller

Manager

Amy,

Please help AM3 in having loads of fun!

It was extremely nerve wracking. Every day I kept calling the Captain's Club to find out any new status. I know others on my sailing were doing the same thing. The day the Infinity was scheduled to sail, we were all watching the webcam. I was up at 8AM, my time and watched the sun come up in San Francisco from the webcam. Everybody on our Roll Call was watching the webcam at the same time and posting to the Roll Call at the same time. I think we might have set a CC record for posts within an hour to one thread. That was a great relief when we saw her being lowered into the water.

Don't give up hope! Once she's in drydock, you'd be amazed how much work they can do and how fast they'll be able to do it. The Euro dockyard are fairly efficient in getting ships in and out quickly.

Anita

She left Barcelona for La Coruna at 9 a.m Nov 6th and arrived 9 a.m. Nov 9th, that's three full days. She is due to leave Barcelona at 8 p.m. Nov 20th. If we assume that she needs to berth by 9 a.m. Nov 20th to get passengers on board, she would need to leave La Coruna at 9 a.m Thursday November 17th at the latest. This assumes she takes the same three days to get back to Barcelona.

Let's see what happens Thursday morning.

Archived