Civitavecchia/Roma Termini private transfer

Hambagahle

Has anyone used a private limo transfer between Civitavecchia and Rome? If so - if you were satisfied with the service - please tell me!!

We will be on an Oceania cruise in November and want to go straight to Milan by train from Rome. Right now I am allowing 2 hours from disembarkation to train time (trains run hourly, on the hour) If someone thinks this is too much or not enough - please say!! Would rather have too much time and wait in the Frecche lounge at Termini than miss the train!!

There are several well-recommended private transfers that regularly receive excellent reviews on this forum. I haven't used them, so I cannot recommend one -- but a quick scan through the first several pages should give you that info.

I would say 2 hours is the bare minimum if all goes well with your timing, IF you plan to self-disembark with all of your luggage in hand. But there's not much margin for error. Due to traffic in Rome (particularly can be heavy getting to the train station), it can take 80 to 90 minutes for the point-to-point drive. I'd probably allow a bit more time, as I prefer to not cut things too close.

If you want to hire a private car/driver we can recommend Romecabs. They will have a car/driver waiting at the port and should have you at Termini in about 1:15.. Keep in mind that if you disembarking on Tues-Fri, the morning rush hour traffic might add some extra time. Under normal circumstances 2 hours (from when you actually are off the ship and have your luggage) should be adequate. Personally we would allow 3 hours just for our own peace of mind and to allow extra time to use the rest rooms, grab a cappuccino, etc. We do a lot of independent travel and have learned to minimize stress by building in extra time unless we really must be some place at a specific time.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In June I had booked a 9:00 shared shuttle, coming off Riviera, going to Termini for an 11:20 train to Bologna.

We made our train despite the fact that everything that could possibly go wrong did. A huge thunderstorm delayed disembarkation, so that everyone tried exiting at once...they gave up calling colors. The line in luggage pickup didn't move because people jammed the exits...people didn't want to exit outside into the downpour. We had to wait until 9:30 until everyone for our shuttle assembled, including two that the company had added that were going to the airport and were dropped off first (the rest of us were all rollcall people going downtown). Streets were flooded, adding to the fun and games.

Even with the private transfer, I would allow at least 2 1/2 hours, particularly since you'd have the lounge. The Med in November can also be a bit wild, which may delay porting.

Edited by buggins0402

We did this in September. Took private limo from the ship (Azamara) to Termini Station. We shared the transport with two other couples, so I can't remember the name, but beware if it's a Friday--that's strike and disruption day in Rome.

I booked our flight to Florence for about 1 p.m. and we were fine, leaving the ship about 9 a.m. But beware, Termini Station is very chaotic. We had our tickets, but couldn't find the platform. Fortunately a friendly local helped us, but we were stumped--everything was under construction. And beware the touts that want to help you--they could have an agenda.

We found the Frecciarossa platform, at the left end of the station, facing the trains (north?). They waved us through, showing our printed tickets, found our seats, and they never checked the tickets again, lol. Great train experience.

We used a private service from Rome to Civitavecchia as well. Their name was:

TransfersRome company

E-mail info@transfersrome.com

http://www.transfersrome.com

We were very satisfied, despite it being a Friday.

• 1 month later...
...We will be on an Oceania cruise in November and want to go straight to Milan by train from Rome. ..

Since you are heading to the train station in Rome, why not just take the train there from the port? Save around 100 Euro in the process.

We used Civitavechhia Cab Service and booked online from the ship two days before we docked in Civitavecchi. The price was right 65 euro for two persons for a shared shuttle to downtown Rome.

We were initially going to take the train from the port to Rome, but with luggage and the new drop off point at via Turco, this made it too much of a hassle. We would have had to have taken the Free shuttle to Via Turco, and then catch a city bus (2 euro each) to the train station. No help with luggage. As we drove by in the shuttle, we saw a long line for the city bus. We saw people just decide to walk and it would have been a long walk from Via Turco)

And at the Civitavecchia train station, we would have had to haul our luggage down the stairs and then up the stairs to get to the train platform.

So in the end, the cost was worth it because of the luggage situation.

But if I didn't have luggage and was just trying to get to Rome for the day, I'd take the train.

The trouble with this shuttle was that since it was shared, we had to wait for other people to board. The shuttle was on time. The driver was there, holding a sign waiting for us at exactly 830 am. But he had to wait for another passenger who never showed up. So after a half hour, he gave up and left. So we didn't leave until after 9 am.

The other down side, was the it stopped at the airport first and let passengers off, so that took additional time. And to make things longer, he had to stop for gas. The traffic into rome was terrible adding additional time. The traffic in Rome was horrendous. So we didn't get to Rome Termini until after 11 a.m.

So if I were to do it again, I'd hire a private shuttle, which would cost around 100 euro. If you are going to the airport from the port, the price was only 29 euro for the shared shuttle and this would be a good way to get there.