Adding internet or drink package

Tntlpn

After I first got my reservation a few days ago I was able to look at the packages and excursions but the last few days I haven't been able to even look at them.

Trying to decide what I'm going to add.

With the internet are you able to text message?

My kids are all older but still worried about being so far from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After I first got my reservation a few days ago I was able to look at the packages and excursions but the last few days I haven't been able to even look at them.

Trying to decide what I'm going to add.

With the internet are you able to text message?

My kids are all older but still worried about being so far from them.

I believe from previous posts you are on RCI Navigator, but it would help to confirm your cruise line as each one may have different policies. But if I am correct, RCI typically has performs their web site maintenance over the weekends, so if you were trying to access your planner then you may have encountered issues as a result. Try again during the week.

Not sure about texting so maybe try that question on the RCI website as well or call RCI to ask. But the ships are not that large and you should be able to work out plans for communication, etc., and the plans are rather pricey. Depending on age, they may want to joint the kids programs which are well supervised and offer a lot of activities that will keep them occupied as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

> With the internet are you able to text message?

Depends on your provider. I don't think I can with T-Mobile but some people have said they could with an app from their provider. I don't know if they were able to receive texts that way or just send them. Also look into coverage for whatever countries you will be visiting. My son went to Europe and got his usual unlimited everything on Verizon for a few hundred dollars for a week. (He's an adult so I don't have any say over how he spends his money any more. lol)

Internet on ship can be both pricey and quirky. I play an online game called Second Life and was completely unable to logon from Oasis of the Seas. Internet was expensive enough that DH and I bought a plan to allow us an average of 30 min/day between us, which was enough to make a quick email check, respond to anything urgent, and ignore the rest. ;)

I got the impression your kids weren't cruising with you. If they are underage, make sure you leave a medical authorization with whoever is caring for them. Things do happen and you don't want to leave a child unable to get non-emergency care because you are out of touch.

Yea kids are over 18. I just want to be able to stay in touch with them.

Interestingly mamasylvia one of my recent patients met his wife playing second life which I had never heard of before!

Yea kids are over 18. I just want to be able to stay in touch with them.

Interestingly mamasylvia one of my recent patients met his wife playing second life which I had never heard of before!

They are adults and keeping in touch is as simple discussing what you will be doing when and where you will be, setting planned times to meet, diners, post it notes, etc. The ship is not that large to make it difficult to stay in touch. Texting is not necessary or worth the cost IMO.

Sorry for the confusion, they are not coming with. They are young adults and my 18 yo will be watching the house and dogs. This is the furthest I've ever been away.

Check with your cell phone service - many offer "at sea" packages that allow certain minutes of texting and voice service at a one time charge per cruise. (Actually it is for the month of the cruise). For example, we use AT&T Cellular at Sea often and it is a very reasonable package that allows us to call and text as need be with different plan levels available. Do not use the ship package for this - far more expensive.

Check with your cell phone service - many offer "at sea" packages that allow certain minutes of texting and voice service at a one time charge per cruise. (Actually it is for the month of the cruise). For example, we use AT&T Cellular at Sea often and it is a very reasonable package that allows us to call and text as need be with different plan levels available. Do not use the ship package for this - far more expensive.

We use the same AT&T cruise package...worth the $60.00.

Sorry for the confusion, they are not coming with. They are young adults and my 18 yo will be watching the house and dogs. This is the furthest I've ever been away.

Eighteen year old watching the house? No need to worry - s/he will be busy planning/hosting/cleaning up those parties you told her/him not to have while you're away.