Oasis review 11/20/16

S0ccerm0m3

Just got off of the Oasis of the Seas yesterday. We cruised 11/20-11/27 on a Western Caribbean itinerary.

So here's a little about us. We traveled with our immediate family of 5 plus my husband's dad (FIL for future reference). We have 3 boys who are 11, 15 and 17. They are in 6th, 11th and 12th grade. We live about an hour east of Cleveland, Ohio in the snow belt. This will be our boy's 5th cruise, our 7th and FIL's 4th. We usually do 2 connecting cabins but this time, we wanted a suite.

Our schedule with our kids has been really busy so vacation has been on the back burner. We planned on going at the end of the school year after our oldest graduated from high school. That all changed in October when we realized at the end of the school year and he would be 18 and no more teen club. He wouldn't be able to hang in there with his brother. Now to book a vacation for our only free week-Thanksgiving! We decided we would do a suite and looked at the larger ships and their availability. It came down to RCI and another cruise line. We opted for oasis when they offered to put 5 in a grand suite. FIL got a balcony down the hall. We could have upgraded for a small charge to a loft grand suite but then we couldn't be on the same deck with FIL, so grand suite it was. We always wanted to try Oasis so we decided to go with it. We booked the cruise on 10/29/16 for 11/20/16.

More to come..........

Pre-cruise planning

With only about 3 weeks to go before the cruise, there was a lot to get done. Since we were too close to vacation time to get a reasonable flight, plus it was thanksgiving week, we opted to drive. The drive would be about 15 1/2 hrs. We decided to leave Friday the 18th and arrive on Saturday the 19th, the day before we cruised. We drove to Port Canaveral for a previous cruise so we decided to book the same hotel-The Radisson at the Port. We really enjoyed it before. They also offer reasonable parking rates. My FIL was coming from Illinois, so we arranged for him to fly down and meet us at the hotel. We arranged transportation for him from the airport to the hotel with cocoa beach shuttle. I linked our 2 reservations together with the Radisson so our rooms would be near each other, but of course that became an issue (more details later). I also arranged a scooter for him from Scootaround and Care Vacation as we did on a previous cruise.

Since we had a suite, I did not have to make show reservations, but I did anyway since my FIL was not in a suite. We decided not to arrange any restaurants or excursions until we were on board. The weather was not looking too good with a tropical depression forming in the Caribbean.

To be continued........

(Hopefully I will figure out how I upload pictures)

Anxious for your review. We leave on Oadis December 11 (Eastern Caribbean). Would like to hear about the food, shows, other entertainment, and cruise director.

My goal is to be done by the end of the week. Does anyone know the best way to add pictures. I did take pics of the daily compass and other items we received. My pics are on my iPhone and cloud.

My goal is to be done by the end of the week. Does anyone know the best way to add pictures. I did take pics of the daily compass and other items we received. My pics are on my iPhone and cloud.

If you are using one of the "forums" apps on your phone, you should be able to attach a photo to a post directly.

If you are using a PC, then you could upload the photos to a photo sharing site, such as Photobucket or FlickR, get the link to the photo, and then use the Insert Image button (insertimage.gif) to embed the photo in your post here.

If you are using one of the "forums" apps on your phone, you should be able to attach a photo to a post directly.

If you are using a PC, then you could upload the photos to a photo sharing site, such as Photobucket or FlickR, get the link to the photo, and then use the Insert Image button (insertimage.gif) to embed the photo in your post here.

Thank you. I never used the app. I just downloaded it and will give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Time to leave

So we left on Friday the 18th after the kids were done school and started the drive. Drove about half way Friday and the rest of the way Saturday. We got the heads up from cruise critic that there was going to be a launch Saturday evening so we had to get there in time. My FIL arrived before us at the Radisson about 1:00. They got his room together and he let them know that we were on our way and would arrive there about 3:30 and to please have our room ready. They didn't have the rooms linked although I was told they would. They said that it would take a little longer if we wanted the rooms together. We got there at @4 and they hadn't even started the room yet. They said they had to wait for us before they did. We had to wait till almost 4:45 for our room. It was also really crowded because of the rocket launch. They allow people to pay to park there. It wasn't as nice as it was last time. It was so crowded, parking was horrible and the restaurant could not handle it. On a positive note, we got to see a rocket launch. It was incredible!

5f236ab9010e32116bc6a6234c9379e6.jpg90e589403c9a1e68518ad1e1d315e2b9.jpg09d42134fc0172efbcc9edc4bb3afdf3.jpg

Edited by S0ccerm0m3

To the ship

We took the first shuttle from the Radisson to the port at 10:30. It is really close. The ship left from terminal 1. Our luggage was taken off of the shuttle and picked up by the porters and we went in terminal.

*wheel chair assistance info:

My FIL does not get around well and needed wheel chair assistance which I called about prior to cruise. I was told he could get a wheelchair right off of the shuttle. You actually have to go into the terminal and request one and wait until they bring them. It was a small walk which he struggled with, but they would not bring the chair out. The wheel chairs traveled in a group to pick up passengers and bring them on board. It was kind of odd compared to previous cruises. This was the only time we had to wait while embarking. It too about 5/10 minutes to get a wheel chair

Anyway, there was a bit of confusion by our attendant pushing FIL because we had suite priority. Our family obviously wanted to enter together and not leave my FIL alone. The attendant kept wanting to follow his group of wheel chairs but the terminal assistants directs us to take our group (including FIL) to the suite check in. We walked right up to the counter. Although we were booked together (here we go again) and told by RCI that my FIL could check in with us, our check in materials were in the suite check in area and my FIL check in materials were across the terminal with those requesting wheelchair assistance. The attend behind the desk was amazing. She went across the terminal while another lady checked us in and got my fil's materials. In no time, we were walking on the ship. We never had to wait in chairs. Even with the confusion we were on the ship by 11:25.

96f1434603fe0cb55ee10f95e84ccc23.jpg

A million thanks for the wheel chair assistance information. I have been searching for it and you explained it in such great detail.

We are in Boardwalk Balcony on Dec. 18 sailing of Oasis. If I request and receive wheel chair assistance where will be be checking in? Should I request it for DH as well as myself? We both qualify, but you know how men are!!!

We are Diamond, if that makes a difference.

We have not sailed Royal since 2013 or 14 so I don't recall check in process and we sailed from terminal 10.

Thanks you so much for any information you have time to provide. You must have had an awesome family cruise and looking forward to more details.

Grace

BTW, after a week of gourmet food on Oasis, then an over 16 hour drive back home over 2 days (traffic), dinner tonight will be spaghetti and ragu sauce.

Welcome home!

I love spaghetti and ragu!!:D Looking forward to your review- we will be on board next month (very soon I can say this month)

A million thanks for the wheel chair assistance information. I have been searching for it and you explained it in such great detail.

We are in Boardwalk Balcony on Dec. 18 sailing of Oasis. If I request and receive wheel chair assistance where will be be checking in? Should I request it for DH as well as myself? We both qualify, but you know how men are!!!

We are Diamond, if that makes a difference.

We have not sailed Royal since 2013 or 14 so I don't recall check in process and we sailed from terminal 10.

Thanks you so much for any information you have time to provide. You must have had an awesome family cruise and looking forward to more details.

Grace

I would recommend you contact RCI and ask for a "guest special needs form". Not sure if it really makes a difference but I filled one out for my FIL. I'm not sure where you check in since we took my FIL with us to the suite check in. For us, we walked right up to counter, signed our medical form, got our keys and went right on board. We didn't have to wait for them to call us to go on board. The gentleman pushing the wheelchairs didn't know much other than follow the group, but the women at the entrance (after security, before check in) answered our questions. It might be easier to get a wheelchair for each of you so dh can keep up-lol!

Thanks for you quick response. I asked and DH said no to wheel chair. I will order on for myself. Following your other thread too.

How close are you to PA/Ohio border? I grew up near I80 about 60 miles east of Ohio.

We are on the ship!

So we got on the ship at 11:25. Where do we go? I read a lot about Park Cafe and decided to head there. Our wheelchair attendant helped get my FIL to a seat by Park Cafe and left us with the wheelchair. The scooter we ordered would be waiting in the cabin, but we had to access to it until the cabins were open. No big deal. We could ask for help to push the wheelchair to the cabin or do it ourselves. We did it ourselves. We had a great table in Central Park with the birds flying around our table. We loved the salad and roast beef sandwiches. They were just as good as described. It was not crowded and it was very peaceful.

5e5123888ea88e947b87ed49464870a2.jpg263941b2ea67acaed9008eaf86648572.jpg8ba948f8baae5176cf5418d223a3a40a.jpg362b069c91e07617380ed50a051f1ca2.jpg

The kids and I walked around the ship while my DH and FIL hung out with our stuff. At exactly 1pm the staterooms were open and we headed to see our suite. Beyond satisfied with our Grand Suite #14660. It was beautiful!!! We had plenty of room for all 5 of us although it got tight at night. My DH and I obviously had the king bed, the 11 and 15 year olds on the sofa bed and the 17 year old on a roll away. The older one gets restless and no one likes to sleep with him. He is very laid back, so he didn't mind (although his feet hung off the bed). We spoke to Ary, our suite attendant and he was wonderful. He said he would set up the rollaway during dinner and have it out in the morning, and he did that through the entire week. Thank you!!!

We packed a lot of stuff (me especially). There was plenty of space everywhere. The huge closet with shelves, 3 drawers in kitchen area, 3 more drawers in living room, 6 more smaller drawers by desk and plenty of room under the bed to shove our empty suitcases. We use those to collect dirty laundry through the week. We even had empty drawers-wow! The bathroom was large and had a ton of counter space and 3 more drawers. Oh forgot, we also had night stands by the bed for more room. The balcony was twice the size of a regular balcony with a table and 2 chairs, and 2 padded loungers.

Negative: not many. As mentioned before, it was tight with the roll away, but we were only in there with the beds open when we were sleeping. We would flip up the roll away while getting ready for breakfast and we could get around. By the time we came back, the room was made back up. The only other issue was the tv. We couldn't really adjust the angle without the signal going out. No big deal. We could all see it fine.

Shower-amazing! Tons of space and water pressure was the best we've ever had on a ship. Only issue was my DH. He was a bit too tall to enjoy it but that always seems to be the case on ships.

For the rest of the review I will group categories together rather than go chronologically. Next I will review our restaurant experience.

Till then.....