Flip flops at dinner?

kjbacon

No flip flops, a nicer pair of sandals would be fine.

John & Nanci

Cambridge, Ontario

Canada

I don't remember reading that in any description of the Viking dress code. Was someone turned away from the dining room because they were wearing flip-flips?

This is what the Viking FAQ says about evening dress and there is no mention of footwear:

evening dress (after 6:00 PM) is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt are required in all evening dining venues. Ties and jackets are optional.

They're nice flip flops so hopefully it will be fine. I already need to bring sneakers, water shoes, and hiking boots so multiple pairs of open toe shoes isnt likely.

Understand your need for packing light but then you may miss out on the dining room, manfredies and the chef 's table. And I heard those are great. What about a pair of fancy jelly shoes. As light and comfortable as flip flops but very pretty

Understand your need for packing light but then you may miss out on the dining room, manfredies and the chef 's table. And I heard those are great. What about a pair of fancy jelly shoes. As light and comfortable as flip flops but very pretty

Viking is catering to a graying crowd, many with orthopedic problems and aching feet, and I really don't think that they are going to fuss over what people wear on their feet at meal time.

If you are concerned about the permissability of flip-flops in the MDR, then I would ask the folks at Viking directly for a ruling.

Edited by Peregrina651

We were on the Star in 2015 and I wore both fancy jandels (flip flops depending on what part of the world you are from) and canvas converse to dinner at the World Café and the Main Dining Room without any issues. to dinner at Manfredis I did wear nice sandals. :)

I don't remember reading that in any description of the Viking dress code. Was someone turned away from the dining room because they were wearing flip-flips?

This is what the Viking FAQ says about evening dress and there is no mention of footwear:

evening dress (after 6:00 PM) is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt are required in all evening dining venues. Ties and jackets are optional.

Probably doesn't specifically state you can't wear a thong bikini either. Doesn't mean you should do it. How old are you again?

I think that there are a lot of variances of 'flip flops'. They can be the original plastic beach/pool going versions....they can also be very dressy....and they can be anything in between (I have all of the above!) So the term can conjur up many different mental pictures.....

If someone shows up wearing plastic beach flip flops, they may be taking a chance on restaurant choices.....if their version of flip flops are stepped up....probably not an issue....

I think that there are a lot of variances of 'flip flops'. They can be the original plastic beach/pool going versions....they can also be very dressy....and they can be anything in between (I have all of the above!) So the term can conjur up many different mental pictures.....

If someone shows up wearing plastic beach flip flops, they may be taking a chance on restaurant choices.....if their version of flip flops are stepped up....probably not an issue....

Definitely, I have a pair of jellies that are very fancy

Probably doesn't specifically state you can't wear a thong bikini either. Doesn't mean you should do it. How old are you again?

The question is "could" not "should," and there does not seem to be anything in the stated policy that says you can't--and that is all that I am pointing out. As for "should," I'm staying away from that side of the discussion; it is none of my business.

Or a monokini. For men or for women. Actually it doesn't specifically state that you can't go topless. Or bottomless for that matter.

On a more serious note, I'm praying that small minded people like this are not on my sailing.